2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
sfs20

Re: 2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Post by sfs20 » April 16th, 2024, 7:09 pm

Ruhl only threw one inning. Hate to see the offense struggling so much. I thought/think they have potential but not much is going right

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 16th, 2024, 7:30 pm

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.

That’s what this team has become, losing tonight to a not very good UConn team. And I don’t want to hear that their RPI isn’t bad, they were 16-17 going into tonight’s game and of course the Cats let them get to .500 with a completely non-competitive effort losing 4-0. While the pitching wasn’t spectacular, the offense has just gone into the tank. Really poor AB’s. Really poor. Doesn’t look like most of them have any clue of what to do.

And Northeastern looks to be pretty salty at like 28-7 with a 7-2 conference record and are undefeated at home with a 9-0 record.

So just like with the basketball team, I’m done watching until they show they’re worthy of watching, because it’s just bad baseball right now and that’s 4-8 over their last 12. I’ll check the box score the next morning but not committing any more time watching this garbage.

They are playing their way out of the tournament. Will really have to get hot to get an at large and there’s no sign that it’s going to happen or a real possibility.

Again another talented team that appears they’ll fall well below their ability.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » April 17th, 2024, 8:14 am

bhoovy wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 7:30 pm
P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.

That’s what this team has become, losing tonight to a not very good UConn team. And I don’t want to hear that their RPI isn’t bad, they were 16-17 going into tonight’s game and of course the Cats let them get to .500 with a completely non-competitive effort losing 4-0. While the pitching wasn’t spectacular, the offense has just gone into the tank. Really poor AB’s. Really poor. Doesn’t look like most of them have any clue of what to do.

And Northeastern looks to be pretty salty at like 28-7 with a 7-2 conference record and are undefeated at home with a 9-0 record.

So just like with the basketball team, I’m done watching until they show they’re worthy of watching, because it’s just bad baseball right now and that’s 4-8 over their last 12. I’ll check the box score the next morning but not committing any more time watching this garbage.

They are playing their way out of the tournament. Will really have to get hot to get an at large and there’s no sign that it’s going to happen or a real possibility.

Maybe that is a reason OU moved on from Hughes
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 17th, 2024, 9:57 am

NealyFan wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:14 am
bhoovy wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 7:30 pm
P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.

Maybe that is a reason OU moved on from Hughes
Could have been.

He’s been a good recruiter and able to identify talent. Just can’t seem to really do a lot with it.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 17th, 2024, 6:48 pm

Okay so I said I wasn’t going to watch anymore until they were playing some ball worthy of watching, but it was an afternoon game today against Northeastern so it gave me something to listen to while at work, but I was starting to regret I had even done that.

Cats finally got on the board first with a Day solo homer in the 1st. But in the bottom, Wintroub allowed a lead off single and then beaned the next two to quickly load the bases with no outs. But he managed to wiggle off the hook by retiring the next 3 batters and not allowing a run. The cats built a 7 run lead with Day leading the way with a two run double and a Bishop solo homer. They also got two runs on two wild pitches.

So with a 7-0 lead going to the bottom of the 6th Slack gave up a solo homer. They got an unearned off Slack in the 7th to make it 7-2. Cats added one in the 8th to extend it back to 8-2 and then the bottom happened.

This time Roberts loaded the bases with two plunked batters and it was Neighbors to the rescue. But he wasn’t quite on his game and although only one run was awarded to him they ended up giving up 4 to make it 8-6. All the momentum was in the other dugout and a scoreless 9th for the Cats. Neighbors allowed a walk and a hit and with a well executed bunt they had both runners in scoring position. The next batter singled and it was all tied at 8.

So it was then Wentworth to the rescue and he has been very good and was again. Nothing going in the 10th and in the 11th Culpepper got a hit, was moved around and scored on a wild pitch. Wentworth then closed it out.

I think a loss like that may have just been the breaking point. But they got the win and it was against a team with an RPI in the 30’s so helps the resume.

Hitting wise Day and Bishop had 2 hits, including solos. Culpepper and Parsons each had two hits. Cats were very fortunate with all the free passes and plunks to not give up more.

Now finally back home to take on the Pokes in a series that’s about a must win.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 18th, 2024, 8:19 am

Yep, been a rough go since the 10 game win streak but if they can grab at least 2 against the Pokes hopefully that could right the ship.

By the way, thank you for your rundowns of the games, I enjoy reading them after each game.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 3):
bhoovystlcatfanrandallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 18th, 2024, 9:16 am

Gorhoops wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 8:19 am
Yep, been a rough go since the 10 game win streak but if they can grab at least 2 against the Pokes hopefully that could right the ship.

By the way, thank you for your rundowns of the games, I enjoy reading them after each game.
Glad you enjoy it. Since the vast majority of my game days for any KSU sport are spent viewing by myself, it’s a way to make it feel like I’m communicating with someone else who has a little passion for it.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
WildcatEngineer

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » April 19th, 2024, 10:09 pm

They can be frustrating and some are fed up with Pete but his team doesn’t quit. Congratulations Cats!!
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 19th, 2024, 10:52 pm

I had class tonight so I couldn’t watch or listen, but I checked the tracker a couple times and then got to listen to the 12th inning as the Cats got a huge win against OSU 6-5 in 12 innings.

Was a close game throughout as OSU got on the board first in the 3rd and then KSU tied it up in the bottom. KSU took the lead in the 4th to go up 2-1 and OSU tied it in the 5th. OSU then took the in the 6th to go up 3-2 and the Cats tied it up in the 7th. As mentioned it went to extras. Cats had a runner on 1st in the 10th but couldn’t move him. And had runners on 1st and 2nd in the 11th with two out and couldn’t move them.

In the 12th Evans gave up a lead off walk. Then a base hit had runners on the corners. Another hit brought one in and again had runners on the corners. A fly out scored another and then the Cats managed to get the next two out to end the OSU 12th and were trailing 5-3.

Day lead off and hit a hot ball that the infielder couldn’t make a play on. Then Culpepper hit his second double of the game to have runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Ingram came up and was walked on 4 pitches. So the bases were loaded with Phillips at the plate and he had a bad AB swinging at pitches out of the zone for the first out. Pelletier to the plate and he got a hit that scored two and tied it at 5 with runners on 1st and 2nd and still one out. Then it was Bishops turn and he hit a ball that just went foul. But on the next pitch he laced just inside of 3rd base and the OSU 3rd baseman and drove in the winning run. Cats with a very big win over OSU 6-5 in 12.

Pitching wise the Cats weren’t all that good. They only allowed the 3 thru 9 and all those were on the starter Boerema. He struck out 6 but walked 5 and plunked a batter. Dean and Wisenbaker got the next couple innings and walked two more. Then Neighbors came in for the 8-10 and while he struck out 5 he also walked two more. Evans got the last two innings also walking one and giving up the 2 runs. In all the Cats gave away 12 free passes, so they were fortunate to not give up more.

Hitting wise the Cats struck out 14 times. But they did manage to get 14 hits. In fact everyone that played got at least one hit.
Day, Culpepper, Phillips, Pellitier and Bishop all got two hits. English had a homer.

But a much needed win for the Cats and great way to start the weekend, as they need a series win in the worst way, losing the last 3. Word is Wentworth will get the start tomorrow. IMO he’s been the best pitcher so far this year for the Cats, but he’s yet to start a game this year. But that’s what he was recruited for until his surgery his frosh year. So hopefully he’s on and can go deep as the Cats pen was a bit taxed. He also needs the offense to continue to help and take the pressure off from trying to be perfect.

4pm tomorrow and they’ve won me back over so I’ll be watching. Cats are back to .500 in conference play and that’s two big resume wins in a row. Let’s make it 3 tomorrow and win a series.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 4):
tmcatsrandallcat85stlcatfanWildcatEngineer

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 20th, 2024, 6:38 pm

Cats Win
Cats beat Cowboys 7-2
Three in a row.
We had lost 12 consecutive series to OSU until today.
Sweep tomorrow!
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
AlabamaLanestlcatfan