What do you expect?

Come on in and discuss the 2017 edition of your favorite college football team!
hilltopwildcat
Posts: 1926
Joined: September 4th, 2013, 12:52 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What do you expect?

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 15th, 2018, 2:49 pm

I agree 100% wild.

NMcat
Posts: 115
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: What do you expect?

Post by NMcat » May 15th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Oklahoma lost AT HOME to Iowa State and still made the Final Four. OSU, Baylor and TCU all had one loss seasons in the past few years and were shut out.

There's only two BIG 12 teams that can lose a game and still make the playoffs. Hell, we pounded OU 35-7 in our championship game in 03 and they STILL played for the mythical national championship.

So yes, if you are NOT OU or TEXAS you DO just have to win every one of your games... and we haven't been able to pull that off yet. It's very rare these days for a team to go undefeated through the regular season and conference championship game. It must be nice to be one of the elites with that "you can lose one and we won't count it" card in their back pocket going into the season.

wild@nite
Posts: 572
Joined: February 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: What do you expect?

Post by wild@nite » May 15th, 2018, 4:55 pm

NMcat wrote:Oklahoma lost AT HOME to Iowa State and still made the Final Four. OSU, Baylor and TCU all had one loss seasons in the past few years and were shut out.

There's only two BIG 12 teams that can lose a game and still make the playoffs. Hell, we pounded OU 35-7 in our championship game in 03 and they STILL played for the mythical national championship.

So yes, if you are NOT OU or TEXAS you DO just have to win every one of your games... and we haven't been able to pull that off yet. It's very rare these days for a team to go undefeated through the regular season and conference championship game. It must be nice to be one of the elites with that "you can lose one and we won't count it" card in their back pocket going into the season.
Believe me, we are on the same page, but there is only 1 thing we can do about it until there is a true playoff that isn't decided by talking heads. Win em all...

NMcat
Posts: 115
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: What do you expect?

Post by NMcat » May 15th, 2018, 5:59 pm

I'm for that.

hilltopwildcat
Posts: 1926
Joined: September 4th, 2013, 12:52 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What do you expect?

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 15th, 2018, 10:27 pm

I just go to have fun. When you're unable to do it for a long time, being there every Saturday with 2 of my grandsons is priceless. I would expect that the general expectations would be nothing less than what is being accomplished now.

User avatar
02Cat
Posts: 2171
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 12:16 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What do you expect?

Post by 02Cat » May 16th, 2018, 9:35 am

NMcat wrote:Oklahoma lost AT HOME to Iowa State and still made the Final Four. OSU, Baylor and TCU all had one loss seasons in the past few years and were shut out.

There's only two BIG 12 teams that can lose a game and still make the playoffs. Hell, we pounded OU 35-7 in our championship game in 03 and they STILL played for the mythical national championship.

So yes, if you are NOT OU or TEXAS you DO just have to win every one of your games... and we haven't been able to pull that off yet. It's very rare these days for a team to go undefeated through the regular season and conference championship game. It must be nice to be one of the elites with that "you can lose one and we won't count it" card in their back pocket going into the season.
This is why I support a playoff that includes only Conference Champions. Eight Teams, Eight Conference Champs...Let's get it on.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

KITNooga
Posts: 1567
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What do you expect?

Post by KITNooga » May 19th, 2018, 11:18 am

02Cat wrote:It's the offseason, about to go into the dog days of summer...

I was thinking about it and at first I was willing to concede that wins were not the ultimate expectation and would be a deal breaker. I was willing to let a coach take some time to develop their program and get it going before the wins were expected. But, then I started to think about it differently is Sean gets the job. We don't know what to expect from him, really and I think I would put more scrutiny on him because of the way he got the job, presumably.

I expect if Sean would earn the HC job, that a very vocal contingent will come out and have him on 'NOTICE!' right from the start.
would be very contentious (see the basketball situation with Weber).

folks will look to every and ANY thing to validate their view that 'this coach' or 'that coach' should, should not have been hired.


Sean might just be more of a lightning rod than others. but bear in mind, should a coach OTHER than Sean get the nod, the 'we should have hired Sean' folks will be out in force.

not a win-win here.

KITNooga
Posts: 1567
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What do you expect?

Post by KITNooga » May 19th, 2018, 11:19 am

wild@nite wrote:there is only 1 thing we can do about it until there is a true playoff that isn't decided by talking heads. Win em all...
while I agree with you, can we get a comment from UCF?

stlcatfan
Posts: 548
Joined: September 9th, 2017, 7:45 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: What do you expect?

Post by stlcatfan » May 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm

KITNooga wrote:
wild@nite wrote:there is only 1 thing we can do about it until there is a true playoff that isn't decided by talking heads. Win em all...
while I agree with you, can we get a comment from UCF?
They are the perfect example of why the CFP should expand to at least six teams. You get an automatic bid as a P5 conference champ plus one at-large bid. But like TCU found out in 2014, it doesn't make any difference how good you are, the big boys still get in over you.

This is why that, even though I am a football first fan, I MUCH prefer March Madness over the current CFP setup.

KITNooga
Posts: 1567
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What do you expect?

Post by KITNooga » May 21st, 2018, 7:07 am

https://ucf.shoptruespirit.com/webapp/w ... reId=88316

perhaps the best thing to do: support UCF and thumb one's nose at the NCAA and ESPN and all that entrenched blue-blood foo-for-all.

fans really NEED to grow a big pair and let their voice be heard. 'bama nation won't log on. SEC won't log on. the system works just fine for 'them'.


it's all those programs outside of maybe 5-6 that ought to join forces and pee all over the NCAA.

Post Reply