What do you expect?

The defending Big XII Champions
02Cat

Pick 'Em

What do you expect?

Post by 02Cat » May 14th, 2018, 12:28 pm

It's the offseason, about to go into the dog days of summer...

Whenever LHCBS retires, what expectations will you have for the program moving forward?

I was thinking about it and at first I was willing to concede that wins were not the ultimate expectation and would be a deal breaker. I was willing to let a coach take some time to develop their program and get it going before the wins were expected. But, then I started to think about it differently is Sean gets the job. We don't know what to expect from him, really and I think I would put more scrutiny on him because of the way he got the job, presumably.

Long story short, I guess my expectations will have to depend upon who gets the job. If Saban left Alabama to take over for Snyder, I'd certainly expect something different than if Colin Klein immediately took over for Snyder.

What do you guys expect?
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 14th, 2018, 12:43 pm

i expect sean to take the program and for it to perform pretty much as it has in the past under the wizard.

i'm pleased as hell with the assistant coach changes. not because i didn't like dimel, but rather i really like the replacements, and the youth they brought to staff leadership.

if sean doesn't follow bill, i'm not sure if coleman will get the gig or not. i'd hate to start over with an outside hire. snyder's culture is in place. and i'd rather see it continue.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 14th, 2018, 1:51 pm

My expectations may be a bit low, but I would expect a bowl game every year and around 7.5 wins per year. Every 4-6 years have a team that competes for the Big 12 Championship and a higher end bowl. I don't expect to win the Big 12 championship every 4-6 years, just be in the running late in the season that it's still a possibility. Keep the program at least in the middle of the pack in the Big 12 overall.

I would also expect that the integrity of the program is still withheld and that it doesn't run into any scandals that other teams are seeing across the nation. Keep the draft streak going and continue to build not only football players, but quality individuals to society.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 14th, 2018, 5:11 pm

tmcats wrote:i expect sean to take the program and for it to perform pretty much as it has in the past under the wizard.

i'm pleased as hell with the assistant coach changes. not because i didn't like dimel, but rather i really like the replacements, and the youth they brought to staff leadership.

if sean doesn't follow bill, i'm not sure if coleman will get the gig or not. i'd hate to start over with an outside hire. snyder's culture is in place. and i'd rather see it continue.
I assume Leavitt's name would be in the mix, especially with the "Kansas State clause" in his contract at Oregon.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

CD_WILDCAT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CD_WILDCAT » May 14th, 2018, 5:15 pm

I expect a National Championship!! Why not!?? Why settle for second when 1st is available??

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm

I expect to dominate the instate series and compete for a conference title every 3-5 years. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

NMcat

Post by NMcat » May 14th, 2018, 8:39 pm

I don't mean to be negative, but I think the BIG 12 will be going through some major changes over the next few years that will likely threaten K-State's stability. Especially if Bill is gone and if we have shown any signs of weakening our brand in his absence.

College football has become a corporate behemoth controlled by the elite programs and TV money. Conference championships and storied rivalries have given way to the race for the Final Four and the imaginary national championship game. The hype for the elite qualifiers starts well before the season and never lets up. The other 110 teams in college football are the ugly bridesmaids.

I've been a faithful college football fan since the 60s, but I can't watch the pro- Alabama, pro-SEC, pro Oklahoma and Texas, blah, blah, blah crap anymore. So, I don't watch analysts or commentators of the sport. I really don't give a damn what any of them think or say. They have 8 or 10 teams in mind before the season starts, that they plan to promote for the Final Four. No other teams in college football are even on their radar.

K-State is not in that group and never will be.

Think about this. If OU and K-State both finished the season ( championship game included) with 12-1 records next year and their only loss was to each other---OU would go to the playoffs and K-State would not. It wouldn't matter whether our loss was during the regular season or in the championship game. OU would play for the national championship because they are OU. Kansas State would not make the cut because we are K-State.

That isn't OK with me. And stay off of my yard!

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 15th, 2018, 9:11 am

NMcat wrote:I don't mean to be negative, but I think the BIG 12 will be going through some major changes over the next few years that will likely threaten K-State's stability. Especially if Bill is gone and if we have shown any signs of weakening our brand in his absence.

College football has become a corporate behemoth controlled by the elite programs and TV money. Conference championships and storied rivalries have given way to the race for the Final Four and the imaginary national championship game. The hype for the elite qualifiers starts well before the season and never lets up. The other 110 teams in college football are the ugly bridesmaids.

I've been a faithful college football fan since the 60s, but I can't watch the pro- Alabama, pro-SEC, pro Oklahoma and Texas, blah, blah, blah crap anymore. So, I don't watch analysts or commentators of the sport. I really don't give a damn what any of them think or say. They have 8 or 10 teams in mind before the season starts, that they plan to promote for the Final Four. No other teams in college football are even on their radar.

K-State is not in that group and never will be.

Think about this. If OU and K-State both finished the season ( championship game included) with 12-1 records next year and their only loss was to each other---OU would go to the playoffs and K-State would not. It wouldn't matter whether our loss was during the regular season or in the championship game. OU would play for the national championship because they are OU. Kansas State would not make the cut because we are K-State.

That isn't OK with me. And stay off of my yard!
This isn't new. Been that way for awhile. We would have played for a title in 98 and 2012, but we choked both times. I hate ESPN and the NCAA favoritism as much as everyone, but weve screwed ourselves twice, so playing the victim card sounds like whining. As Coach Snyder said 20 years ago. Win the games on your schedule and we won't be denied.

I get where you are coming from, but every time we have a shot at beating an elite program, we haven't got it done, except 2003, but we already had too many losses prior to that.

The Big 12 needs to pound noncon P5 teams when we play them. Going to Vandy and getting shut down was embarrassing. We have another shot at the SEC this year. We need to win it. THAT is the way you get people to take notice. Just like beating Kentucky in bball this year. Until that game, we had done absolutely nothing to get national respect. Gotta earn it.

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » May 15th, 2018, 12:04 pm

ajcksu82 wrote:My expectations may be a bit low, but I would expect a bowl game every year and around 7.5 wins per year. Every 4-6 years have a team that competes for the Big 12 Championship and a higher end bowl. I don't expect to win the Big 12 championship every 4-6 years, just be in the running late in the season that it's still a possibility. Keep the program at least in the middle of the pack in the Big 12 overall.

I would also expect that the integrity of the program is still withheld and that it doesn't run into any scandals that other teams are seeing across the nation. Keep the draft streak going and continue to build not only football players, but quality individuals to society.
I agree with this.

Beating KU every year is a requirement for me. Considering where each program is right now, a single loss to KU might be grounds for dismissal in my eyes. Going bowling every year (especially since there's a kazillion bowl games) is my minimum requirement after beating KU. Those may be low expectations but I think it's realistic for any new Head Coach at KSU right now.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » May 15th, 2018, 2:49 pm

I agree 100% wild.