Typical GoPer Rhetoric

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
WIldWIllieCat
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Typical GoPer Rhetoric

Post by WIldWIllieCat » April 15th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Kentucky governor's comments about teacher's strike:

"I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them," Bevin said Friday in a video tweeted by WDRB-TV reporter Marcus Green.

"I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn't have any money to take care of them. I'm offended by the idea that people so cavalierly and so flippantly disregarded what's truly best for children."
Rich people paying rich people to convince middle class people to blame poor people.

NealyFan
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Typical GoPer Rhetoric

Post by NealyFan » April 15th, 2018, 8:44 pm

He probably also says government does not have a responsibility to assist children and that it doesn’t “take a village.” Yet, he blames teachers for hypothetical sexual assault. The irony speaks for itself.

02Cat
Been liked: 0

Post by 02Cat » April 16th, 2018, 9:21 am

You see, at least in Kentucky and really throughout a lot of this country, what people think of school. It's daycare for your kids. That kind of approach is why education sucks in this country. People are to concerned with unimportant things and don't value being educated or being smart. Our culture has taken a somewhat disturbing and perverse twist at vilifying smart and educated people. That approach also gets you to a point where you pay your daycare providers (I mean teachers) so little that they don't want the job anymore.
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

RichardZ
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RichardZ » April 16th, 2018, 10:03 am

I know the following is kind of a generic statement and does not apply to everyone or every situation.

For the last 50 years or so responsibility of raising and caring for children has shifted from parents to the schools and teachers. Kids are dumped at an early age, almost from birth, to nursery schools. Drop them off at 6:30am and pick them up at 5:30pm. Public schools then take over and they have pre-kindergarten classes, provide breakfasts, lunch and sometimes dinner and snacks.

The educators seem to want this situation. But, they don't want to take the responsibility for the results, but more money for the administrators would solve the problem for sure. :roll: Parents, too, seem to want this, and then blame the system. Many of these kids come from one parent households who spend barely a few hours a day with their own children..and it is the school's fault if little Billy is not progressing into a well adjusted person.

As a side note. My grandson was put into a pre school nursery program at the age of 4. Being retired I would pick him up at three in the afternoon. I would also go unannounced during the day to see just what was going on. Oh, it was a hi-tech school all right. Cameras everywhere and parents could watch their kids on their freakin' phones. Whoopee. The school collected a huge amount of money to provide a nice building with a million toys and one person to 'watch' over 50 kids. I remember one infant who was not walking yet sitting in a hammock type swing that automatically swung him back and forth. Every time I went to this school to visit the same kid was in the same swing day in and day out. I came to believe he was in it the entire day. I guess the parents didn't have a phone.

Usually, I do not get that much involved with the grands, but after about two months of this I let my son and daughter in law know I would take care of the baby all day. Each day. They were happy (saving the $$$) and I was happy to take care of my grandson. I would tote him every where. Taking care of the horses, mowing, visiting zoos, bringing him to Harley dealers to sit on the motorcycles, libraries and, at the time, I was into walking five miles a day so I would push him in his stroller whether if it was outside or in the malls in bad weather.

I would think schools were there to teach not take over the roll of parents. But, it is what it is.

Watching child is not the same as raising a child.
"If you don't know where you are going any road will get you there."
Lewis Carroll