KS High School Championship Saturday

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
AlabamaLane

Re: KS High School Championship Saturday

Post by AlabamaLane » March 13th, 2018, 10:09 am

Private schools won the boys 5A, 4A Div 1, and 4A Div 2. Kansas needs to do what other states do and that is either use a multiplier on enrollment or automatically bump private schools up one classification. I taught and coached for 41 years, mostly in suburban Wichita, and it was frustrating to face the advantages of the private schools. They had selective enrollment, no boundaries for attendance, usually no special ed programs to count against enrollment, and usually higher income families that could afford to send kids to more camps, private teachers, etc..

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 13th, 2018, 10:43 am

AlabamaLane wrote:Private schools won the boys 5A, 4A Div 1, and 4A Div 2. Kansas needs to do what other states do and that is either use a multiplier on enrollment or automatically bump private schools up one classification. I taught and coached for 41 years, mostly in suburban Wichita, and it was frustrating to face the advantages of the private schools. They had selective enrollment, no boundaries for attendance, usually no special ed programs to count against enrollment, and usually higher income families that could afford to send kids to more camps, private teachers, etc..
Exactly Alabama. Been involved for about 40 years and KSHSAA has less and less guts as time goes on. Just like the flagrant shoving episode at Hays last weekend. No repercussions.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » March 13th, 2018, 11:14 am

Yep, the private schools should absolutely be bumped up a classification.

The flagrant foul in 1A made Inside Edition last night. I know ESPN and Deadspin both had it on twitter last weekend.

It is a total sham that kid was not ejected and suspended for the 3rd place game. Total Sham.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 13th, 2018, 1:03 pm

The lead official hit the intentional foul quickly. Probably a discussion among the crew should have resulted. If, as puff says, KSHSAA wouldn't do anything after the fact why would the officials suspect that they would be supported if they'd tossed the kid? This was the 3rd time the teams had played.

kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinsleycat » March 13th, 2018, 1:26 pm

the Hanover kid, Thomas Atkins, said on twitter that the Centralia kid had later apologized to him and that "all was good between us."
He's probably more forgiving than I'd be. Sounds like a good young man.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 13th, 2018, 1:27 pm

i had a son play at st. thomas aquinas and a daughter at bishop miege. neither were recruited. i played at bishop heelan, a legendary iowa power; no one recruited me either.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm

tmcats wrote:i had a son play at st. thomas aquinas and a daughter at bishop miege. neither were recruited. i played at bishop heelan, a legendary iowa power; no one recruited me either.
They still get the ‘elite’ kids. And in scouting the same ones year after year it’s always amazing how much the roster varies year to year. Not like the public schools which rarely changes.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 13th, 2018, 3:31 pm

As I said a few posts ago, recruiting is only one of several advantages that the private schools possess. Certainly not all of the kids that play for private schools are recruited but some are and some are given scholarships to cover the cost of the school.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 13th, 2018, 3:35 pm

tmcats wrote:i had a son play at st. thomas aquinas and a daughter at bishop miege. neither were recruited. i played at bishop heelan, a legendary iowa power; no one recruited me either.
You were probably one of the "rich" kids. LOL!! :rofl: :rofl:

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 13th, 2018, 3:53 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
You were probably one of the "rich" kids. LOL!! :rofl: :rofl:
oh yes, family of 7 and dad was a bricklayer. filthy rich. :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?