Kansas Gets an F on the Security of Its Election System

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place

Kansas Gets an F on the Security of Its Election System

Postby purpleprairiecat » February 12th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Here is the article:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article199664634.html

And guess who is in charge of that system? Secretary of State Kris Kobach!

Isn't he the one that Trump appointed to lead his Commission on Voter Fraud?

Personally, I always ask for a paper ballot and recommend that for everyone until the election system in Kansas becomes more secure.
Last edited by purpleprairiecat on February 12th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purpleprairiecat

Re: Kansas Gets an F on the Security of Its Election System

Postby NealyFan » February 12th, 2018, 11:40 pm

As long as the darkers and poor are prevented from voting, the republic is safe.
NealyFan

Postby 02Cat » February 13th, 2018, 10:26 am

purpleprairiecat wrote:Here is the article:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article199664634.html

And guess who is in charge of that system? Secretary of State Kris Kobach!

Isn't he the one that Trump appointed to lead his Commission on Voter Fraud?

Personally, I always ask for a paper ballot and recommend that for everyone until the election system in Kansas becomes more secure.

Shocking revelation. Shocking.
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
02Cat

Postby WildcatEngineer » February 13th, 2018, 11:18 am

https://www.americanprogress.org/

Here is another example of "Fake News". This American Progress group is against Kobach so they find one item on some Kansas voting machines. Then they take 2 hours to write something that looks like a real study. This fabrication is distributed as a press release to major media. Most people just read the headline. Guys like Jim Ward then have a talking point.

Simple, often used method to discredit your opponent.

With that said I recommend anyone concerned about voter security to VOLUNTEER on an election day. Stand there for 10 hours and learn how the voting system operates. In my experience I would say yes elections can be hacked. But it normally would take several people to agree to do it jointly.
WildcatEngineer

Postby ToledoCat#2 » February 13th, 2018, 11:26 am

I, too, always vote with a paper ballot.

Granted, I travel mostly with like-minded folks, but I've lived and worked in four states, lived 75 years, and I've never met anyone who claimed they were precluded from voting by anything or any person. Some of them don't vote on occasion, by choice, but they weren't prevented from voting.

I think if you want to vote and are willing to make the effort to get registered to legally vote, you'll get to vote.
ToledoCat#2

Postby kstatewildcat98 » February 13th, 2018, 5:44 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:https://www.americanprogress.org/

Here is another example of "Fake News". This American Progress group is against Kobach so they find one item on some Kansas voting machines. Then they take 2 hours to write something that looks like a real study. This fabrication is distributed as a press release to major media. Most people just read the headline. Guys like Jim Ward then have a talking point.

With that said I recommend anyone concerned about voter security to VOLUNTEER on an election day. Stand there for 10 hours and learn how the voting system operates. In my experience I would say yes elections can be hacked. But it normally would take several people to agree to do it jointly.

The rebranding of the term "Fake News" was a pretty brilliant move by the right. Trumpsters were consumed, and completely taken in by actual fake news during the 2016 Presidential campaign (and continuing to today). These are the fake news articles created out of whole cloth, by anonymous authors, and then spread around on facebook. Things like Pizzagate, Clinton murder lists, and so on. And when this growing problem of fake news was brought up? The Trumpsters adopted the term and applied it to actual news media. Therefore attempting to discredit any news source that doesn't bow down to Trump as "Fake News".
"People will just believe you. You just tell them and they believe you.” - Donald Trump
kstatewildcat98

Postby ToledoCat#2 » February 13th, 2018, 7:36 pm

98, I sort of pity you for your inability so see or acknowledge the bias against Trump in the news these days. Yes, I know FOX is the antithesis of the rest of the main stream media and it's biased right. Everything else, biased left.

As for the so-called alt news, I wouldn't know about it. I never read them.
ToledoCat#2

Postby purpleprairiecat » February 13th, 2018, 9:29 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:https://www.americanprogress.org/

The article was published in the Wichita Eagle, which most certainly is not "Fake News." Do you dispute the findings of the report? If so, list what you are disputing and provide evidence that it is not correct. Anyone who thinks that Kobach is honest and running a fair election system in Kansas is out of their mind.

I have volunteered to work local voter polls quite a few times. My experience is that the people working the local polls are honest and unbiased, and they try to be helpful to voters. I have seen a few exceptions. Most of the voting machines in Kansas, with the exception of a few locations, are old. These voting machines do not produce a paper record that can be used to do post-election audits that test the accuracy of voting outcomes.

Here is an article that shows how easy voting machines can be hacked:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-voting-machines-are-susceptible-to-hacking-by-foreign-actors/

If you do some research, you will find that the type of voting machine most commonly used in Kansas is most susceptible to hacking.
purpleprairiecat

Postby spot2180 » February 13th, 2018, 11:04 pm

kstatewildcat98 wrote:The rebranding of the term "Fake News" was a pretty brilliant move by the right. Trumpsters were consumed, and completely taken in by actual fake news during the 2016 Presidential campaign (and continuing to today). These are the fake news articles created out of whole cloth, by anonymous authors, and then spread around on facebook. Things like Pizzagate, Clinton murder lists, and so on. And when this growing problem of fake news was brought up? The Trumpsters adopted the term and applied it to actual news media. Therefore attempting to discredit any news source that doesn't bow down to Trump as "Fake News".

To pretend that the left does not propagate tons of fake news is intellectually dishonest.
spot2180

Postby 02Cat » February 14th, 2018, 8:58 am

spot2180 wrote:
kstatewildcat98 wrote:The rebranding of the term "Fake News" was a pretty brilliant move by the right. Trumpsters were consumed, and completely taken in by actual fake news during the 2016 Presidential campaign (and continuing to today). These are the fake news articles created out of whole cloth, by anonymous authors, and then spread around on facebook. Things like Pizzagate, Clinton murder lists, and so on. And when this growing problem of fake news was brought up? The Trumpsters adopted the term and applied it to actual news media. Therefore attempting to discredit any news source that doesn't bow down to Trump as "Fake News".

To pretend that the left does not propagate tons of fake news is intellectually dishonest.

How is the statement by '98 trying to say the left does not propagate fake news? Just because someone is talking about how f'ed up one thing is does not mean they are saying something else isn't f'ed up. That is putting words in someones mouth, which happens a lot around here.
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
02Cat

Next

Return to Gods and Generals