Is anyone else embarrassed by ....

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place

Re: Is anyone else embarrassed by ....

Postby WIldWIllieCat » December 10th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Short answer - no.

Long answer - I don't buy into the "fake news" narrative, so no.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” ~Ernest Hemingway~
WIldWIllieCat

Postby DMC » December 10th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Looks like according to Gallup, almost 70 percent of folks have lost all confidence in the press.
DMC

Postby xtrawildcat » December 10th, 2017, 10:09 pm

DMC wrote:Looks like according to Gallup, almost 70 percent of folks have lost all confidence in the press.

If you don't trust the news, how can you trust them reporting what the Gallup poll shows. Maybe you trust the news more than you realize.
xtrawildcat

Postby KITNooga » December 10th, 2017, 10:17 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:If you don't trust the news, how can you trust them reporting what the Gallup poll shows. Maybe you trust the news more than you realize.

doesn't take a Rhoads scholar to see what is NOT reported is almost as important as what IS reported.
any one who wants to look can see this in play each and every day.

it's the 'why' that has folks struggling.
KITNooga

Postby Mission Cat » December 10th, 2017, 10:43 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:I listen and watch the news and filter out any slant. The news reported by the Wa Post , NY times and Wall Street journal mostly turns out to be accurate and they issue retractions when necessary and discipline employees who put out inaccurate information. We are lucky to have news organizations that report on guys like Flynn and Manafort. Both had the country up for sale.

Exactly, but youre a supposed idiotic nutcase for believing that. Your supposed to get your news from a narcissistic sociopath with bad manners and an incompetency to his job.
Mission Cat

Postby Mission Cat » December 11th, 2017, 12:15 am

Mission Cat

Postby KITNooga » December 11th, 2017, 8:32 am

too funny. the folks on here who won't click on a breitbart link have nothing to say about a thinkprogress link?

and to showcase how I think it should be done: agree, I saw the Fox news stuff. Some silly nonsense about Karma. Just not needed at all. at all.

neither was the question ASKED of Lindsay by the reporter that prompted her response.

as long as I am being totally fair and honest.
KITNooga

Postby 02Cat » December 11th, 2017, 10:51 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:Is anyone else, except me, embarrassed by the "performance" of the major media outlets in the U.S.?

It seems to me that professional journalism is dying rapidly and being replaced by advocacy journalism -- those advocating for both the Left and the Right. Facts are fabricated. Opinions are presented as facts. Politics reign over professionalism.

The "who, what, when, why and how" that used to be taught in journalism schools is rapidly heading for the dust bin of history. The "story" has been replace by the "cause."

Fake news is rampant in all communications realms. Who can you trust? What can you trust? When can you trust? How and why should you trust?

I have no answer. I just trust my gut.

I am embarrassed by it. I'd say there's multiple things going on. The traditional sources like major newspapers and broadcast TV were undercut by 24 hour cable news. The cable news entities then began to fill down time with nightly shows like O'Reilly and such where it became less news and more editorial commentary. This increased cable news ratings, further undercutting the traditional sources to the point that they grew lazy.

Now, you've got so many third party groups that are extremely biased and advocates of their bias that their editorial starts to blur the lines with flat out lies.

This all before you throw in the intentional deception through Twitter/Facebook by entities operating in the shadows.
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
02Cat

Postby ToledoCat#2 » December 11th, 2017, 10:54 am

Mission Cat, your reading comprehension level is apparently slipping. My original post explicitly stated that biased news happens both on the Left and RIGHT! Fox News is blatantly pro-Trump, anti-DeLPS. No doubt about it. Just like CNN and MSNBC is the opposite. Just because both sides slant the news doesn't make them both professional. It just makes them both partisan.

I will fuel the fire with this comment: I think every time the Fake News organizations on the Left get caught and have to retract, suspend, or fire, Trump smiles to himself and takes it to his voter bank in media-forgotten Fly-over America. Is that ironic, or what?
ToledoCat#2

Postby 02Cat » December 11th, 2017, 11:07 am

katlander wrote:Makes me wonder how many idiots we now have in this country?

62,984,825 idiots
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
02Cat

PreviousNext

Return to Gods and Generals