Lose the fish, buy the pond. Rodney Perry.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Lose the fish, buy the pond. Rodney Perry.

Post by SCKSCat » May 4th, 2022, 11:45 pm

It.has been assumed Juliun Phillips and his HS/Prep coach Rodney Perry were going to be package deal. Unless they still are for another team, I would encourage Coach Tang to secure Perry as the final coach.
He has a lot of great credentials and connections. MoKan, Link Prep, several local colleges, prep schools. He is a proven recruiter and developer of players.
So in the long run, Perry could bring more value to our program than Julian Phillips.
With Perry, there are lot more other fish in the pond.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

kstfan88

Post by kstfan88 » May 5th, 2022, 12:59 am

Yeah that’s a good way of looking at it. It’s better to have a steady stream of recruits coming instead of a 1 off like Oklahoma State did with Cunningham and Missouri tried with the Porter brothers.
These users thanked the author kstfan88 for the post:
PNW Cat

PNW Cat

Post by PNW Cat » May 5th, 2022, 1:08 am

Mizzou got so screwed by that whole deal lol! That's what you get though. I personally think we'll be just fine. And we may not land a 5 star dude this year, but I think we will when Tang gets things rolling.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » May 5th, 2022, 9:04 am

KSU was way behind in the Julian battle because Tang has only been the HC for 6 weeks. Julian likely didn't even have KSU on his radar at all.

If KSU can land Perry as the final bench coach, it will be a huge get. He assembled a team at Link that made the national finals in it's first year of competitive prep BB. His connections run way beyond Phillips.

This will be the greatest recruiting staff KSU has ever had, but the climate has changed & will take some getting used to for KSU...as well of all of CBB.

If NIL gets regulated (unlikely), the playing field will be completely even. Now...what I think will actually happen is that the NIL money will slow down significantly over the next couple years when they realize their money is just not bringing the ROI that they had hoped. Some schools will still have an advantage, but everyone will be a lot closer so having the rock-star recruiters will get it done.

It's time to quit whining about NIL (no one in this thread) and just be better salespeople! KSU BB can get rolling in the next couple years if everyone stops the "whoa is me" mantra.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 5th, 2022, 9:41 am

"No one in this thread." Yet...

They'll be here soon. I'm sure of that. Whine, cry, and make excuses is what they do. Thankfully, the majority of the KSU fanbase are hard working and strong willed and won't give in to the excuse crowd.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 5th, 2022, 10:19 am

great programs are not built on one&done athletes.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
WildcatEngineer
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » May 5th, 2022, 10:38 am

Maybe not the best place to put this comment, but in the amazing introductory Tang Press Conference I did not think his comment about we are about getting the $millions$ not the pennies, fit into the introduction. But I was wrong. He had thought that out and was talking to recruits, knowing KSU would not be tops in NIL cash, but he could get them to the NBA.

Totally different look at developing players.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 5th, 2022, 10:52 am

I am amazed. A few posts into this thread, the topic has been hijacked and totally changed. There is a thread specifically about NIL.

My point is that a good coach can be great long term asset. Players come and go. Maybe faster than ever. You have to have coaches that can recruit replacements steadily and develop raw talented players. Perry can help with both. If not him, someone like him. Bringing in a good coach maybe more important than getting the marquee player.

Just a thought will dad or brother Davis be part of the deal to get Antoine?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 5th, 2022, 11:12 am

Right now they have a lot of connections to TX, LA and some to FL but not a lot to the local area. The coaching staff needs someone with ties to the local KS and MO areas and Perry would fit that assuming his relationship with HS coaches is still good. The states don't produce a ton of talent, and ones that KU doesn't get to first, but MoKan, Skyline and Link are some of the better collections of talent in the area that are good to be connected with.
These users thanked the author AJcat7755 for the post:
Section 12-2

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » July 11th, 2022, 12:26 pm

Does anyone know if the rumors about Rodney Perry becoming the 3rd assistant coach is true? What would he contribute? Any recruits tied to him?
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85