Snyder legacy

The defending Big XII Champions
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: Snyder legacy

Post by AJcat7755 » October 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

tmcats wrote:there's a background line in many posts that this season's ending badly, after but one conference loss in double ot. fans are so damn fickle. :oops:
Doesn't help that next 2 opponents are #6 and #12 which appear to be the hardest 2 games remaining (OSU being close at 3), when the starting QB is out for the most if not all of the season, and the rest of the team isn't exactly playing at peak performance. That leads to some negative outlooks.

Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Opensource » October 12th, 2017, 12:47 pm

tmcats wrote:there's a background line in many posts that this season's ending badly, after but one conference loss in double ot. fans are so damn fickle. :oops:
When would you suggest he retire? After we really go down hill? If you look at the body of work since Snyder returned (2.0), if it wasn't Snyder would the fans believe it was acceptable? Maybe. But, that would be in the context of things staying the same or getting better. How many more years can he go? He is human.

ksusmcsgtmaj

Pick 'Em

Post by ksusmcsgtmaj » October 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Opensource wrote:
When would you suggest he retire? After we really go down hill? If you look at the body of work since Snyder returned (2.0), if it wasn't Snyder would the fans believe it was acceptable? Maybe. But, that would be in the context of things staying the same or getting better. How many more years can he go? He is human.

------------------------------------------------------------

Posted something similar in the recent Venables thread. The time will come...its not a matter of if. I think the genesis of this thread was not to call out Snyder's supposed inadequacies, but rather to highlight how difficult a task it has been to try to duplicate 1.0...damn near impossible....and he basically did that in Klein's senior year. Now, several years removed, anything less, especially with all the hype leading up to this season/team appears to be an underachievement. I don't think his legacy is any sort of danger, but like many other "legendary" coaches, holding on too long can almost certainly seize the narrative, especially when your team doesn't perform to standards/expectations.

ksusmcsgtmaj

Pick 'Em

Post by ksusmcsgtmaj » October 12th, 2017, 1:58 pm

You keep saying "fickle." As it pertains to this board, by definition, you are implying that people on this board are changing their loyalties, interests, or affections for this year's team. I strongly disagree. If that were the case, those of us who are underwhelmed by this team's performance thus far would have left the board or begun rooting for another team. Alas, we're still here, engaged, just as before. Disappointed? Maybe. But fickle? No sir.

However, if you're saying "this team could still end up 10-2 or 9-3, plus the potential bowl win, so hold off on saying the season's over", I'd say you're correct...with one stipulation. Regardless what happens, KSU still lost to Vanderbilt. We'll see how Texas finishes, but I'd bet they finish somewhere close to .500 as well. Think back to 2003 - even after the Big12 Championship win, people still talk about that loss to Marshall and the 3 game skid. People still talk about how that team had NC potential. Suppose 10-2 happens (and for the record, I'm holding out hope that it does), there will be certain disappointment about how a slow start doomed what could have been a special season. I don't think that's being fickle at all.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 12th, 2017, 2:26 pm

state won the league championship and went to a bcs bowl in '03. i believe most fans would be delighted with that outcome this year.

as to snyder, i expect him to retire after this season. but it's his call. if he holds on another year, so be it. i can accept that.

as for snyder 2, i believe anyone other than a complete fool would take it after ron prince's reign. snyder has had some fine teams - one was rated #1 in land - with jake and collin running the show. too bad jesse got hurt, again. but i'm not giving up on this year either. delton may surprise.
Last edited by tmcats on October 12th, 2017, 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » October 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Bill Snyder has moved past Don Nehlen and is now 21st in all time wins (205) among college football coaches that coached at a DI program. 20th is Nick Saban at 211 wins and climbing, 19th is Steve Spurrier at 228 wins and Jim Tressel at 229 wins. The next closest active coach, with DI wins, is Tim Murphy, the 61 year old Harvard HC, with 197 wins. Which means Snyder will finish his career in 21st in all time DI wins and maybe in a few years end up 22nd, but won't drop lower then that for a while.

Snyder's legacy isn't in danger.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » October 12th, 2017, 4:08 pm

ajcksu82 wrote:Bill Snyder has moved past Don Nehlen and is now 21st in all time wins (205) among college football coaches that coached at a DI program. 20th is Nick Saban at 211 wins and climbing, 19th is Steve Spurrier at 228 wins and Jim Tressel at 229 wins. The next closest active coach, with DI wins, is Tim Murphy, the 61 year old Harvard HC, with 197 wins. Which means Snyder will finish his career in 21st in all time DI wins and maybe in a few years end up 22nd, but won't drop lower then that for a while.

Snyder's legacy isn't in danger.
Thanks for that.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » October 12th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Been at games since Snyder’s first day. Tmcats sounds like a 2.0 pick-up. Not the same. Not even close.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 13th, 2017, 10:11 am

Opensource wrote:Been at games since Snyder’s first day. Tmcats sounds like a 2.0 pick-up. Not the same. Not even close.
season tickets since 1993. let's see, that's a quarter century.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Willie78

Pick 'Em

Post by Willie78 » October 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

tmcats wrote:
Opensource wrote:Been at games since Snyder’s first day. Tmcats sounds like a 2.0 pick-up. Not the same. Not even close.
season tickets since 1993. let's see, that's a quarter century.

Funny as hell when you call some one out you know nothing about!! Can you, Opensource say that you have been to every Bowl Game?? I have been to all 20 of the Bowl Games.