City of Manhattan Progress/Development

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
stlcatfan

City of Manhattan Progress/Development

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2024, 3:52 pm

Years ago, there was a thread on a K-State fan website (It may have even been this site or the old Scout site) that discussed the changes going on in Manhattan (e.g., new stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.). It was nice to follow that since I was living in St. Louis at the time. With all of the changes going on in the City of Manhattan, including K-State and Aggieville, I thought it might be fun to start a similar thread.

One of the things I have enjoyed about moving back to Manhattan is the ability to get outdoors for long walks on numerous trails (e.g., the Little Apple Loop) connecting nature parks (i.e., prairies and woodlands) here on the west side of town. A lot of this appears to have been recently completed.

I also like seeing all of the progress and the forward-thinking of our city leaders. There's the North Corridor Project, Aggieville development, Grand Mere/Colbert Hills development, and the Beyond Tomorrow Downtown Plan, just to name a few.

Here are a few links:
https://cityofmhk.com/DocumentCenter/Vi ... an-4-18-24

https://cityofmhk.com/2621/North-Campus-Corridor

https://cityofmhk.com/2714/Aggieville-Community-Vision

Are there any other cool projects or developments planned for the Manhattan area that you are aware of?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 24th, 2024, 7:59 pm

the key to mhk's future is k-state and ft. riley. enrollment dropping during the general's tenure hurt. it has leveled now. linton is building again starting with a new/renovated ag school. the future seems brighter. of course success in k-state sports is very important.

i understand this aggieville project is back on the burner for completion in 2025, huge deal.

https://midtownaggieville.com/
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 1st, 2024, 9:06 am

Boy, years ago development was getting a new bar in Aggieville.
Now Manhattan is a city.
A lot of the synergy was caused by Bill Synder building a respected football program.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 1st, 2024, 11:45 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 9:06 am
Now Manhattan is a city.
A lot of the synergy was caused by Bill Synder building a respected football program.
Yeah, it really can't be understated how the football program's growth under Coach Snyder has played a huge role in the City of Manhattan's growth over the past few decades. When I was in college (1980s), we were the only Big 8 school that didn't have a 4-lane road going into town from the Interstate. Now both exits off of I-70 (as well as Hwy. 24) have nice 4-lane roads all the way into Manhattan. Of course, more fans coming to Manhattan means more hotels, restaurants, places to shop, etc. Not to mention, more tax dollars going into city coffers.

If not for our built up infrastructure, including modernizing Manhattan Airport, we likely would not have been able to land the NBAF (which in itself could be a game-changer for the region).
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 1st, 2024, 11:58 am

stlcatfan wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 11:45 am
SCKSCat wrote:
Now Manhattan is a city.
Yeah, it really can't be understated how the football program's growth under Coach Snyder has played a huge role in the City of Manhattan's growth over the past few decades. When I was in college (1980s), we were the only Big 8 school that didn't have a 4-lane road going into town from the Interstate. Now both exits off of I-70 (as well as Hwy. 24) have nice 4-lane roads all the way into Manhattan. Of course, more fans coming to Manhattan means more hotels, restaurants, places to shop, etc. Not to mention, more tax dollars going into city coffers.

If not for our built up infrastructure, including modernizing Manhattan Airport, we likely would not have been able to land the NBAF (which in itself could be a game-changer for the region).
i remember that meeting with the topeka delegation saying to reitz: "we need to get american's air service to qualify the nbaf application. a state revenue guarantee." sebelius bought it. the guarantee came. never a dime used. and the rest is history.

later, john currie tried to do that with aTm and the conference. but it never took sail.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Catalum

Post by Catalum » May 2nd, 2024, 2:11 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 11:45 am
SCKSCat wrote:
Now Manhattan is a city.

We must be about the same age, stlcatfan as I also attended K-State in the 1980's. I really didn't understand what Manhattan lacked until I graduated and took a job in Fayetteville, AR. At the time, Fayetteville wasn't much larger in population than MHK, but it already had many more amenities. Of course it's nothing compared to the growth Northwest Arkansas has experienced since then. With that being said, I am hoping to relocate to MHK in the next year or two.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post:
stlcatfan

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.