Portal

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: Portal

Post by wild@nite » April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 am

Great pickup, but won't mean squat if we don't have knock down shooters and guards that can get dribble penetration. Deb Patterson's biggest failure was not getting a point guard that could penetrate and dish. That costed her a shot at a national title. Ohlde, Wecker, Mahoney, and Koehn were great puzzle pieces, but without a "true" PG, they had to be perfect vs really good competition. Mittie has a stellar frontline, but it will be wasted without better guards.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » April 22nd, 2024, 6:23 pm

Mittie will also need to learn how to defend the high ball screen. We never stopped it all year.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 22nd, 2024, 10:37 pm

wild@nite wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 am
Great pickup, but won't mean squat if we don't have knock down shooters and guards that can get dribble penetration. Deb Patterson's biggest failure was not getting a point guard that could penetrate and dish. That costed her a shot at a national title. Ohlde, Wecker, Mahoney, and Koehn were great puzzle pieces, but without a "true" PG, they had to be perfect vs really good competition. Mittie has a stellar frontline, but it will be wasted without better guards.

I always thought Mahoney should have been moved to the point and Brie Madden to power forward. Patterson seemed to not appreciate Madden's game. There was a legit point guard available at one point in time, but we, for some reason, did not go after her.

I like the addition of Poindexter, another legit scorer, and like Gabby, another very versatile scorer. Hopefully we still have spots available to go after a 3 point ace, a rim attacker/finisher, or both. We need more quickness.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 23rd, 2024, 8:48 am

katlander wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 10:37 pm
wild@nite wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 am

I always thought Mahoney should have been moved to the point and Brie Madden to power forward. Patterson seemed to not appreciate Madden's game. There was a legit point guard available at one point in time, but we, for some reason, did not go after her.

I like the addition of Poindexter, another legit scorer, and like Gabby, another very versatile scorer. Hopefully we still have spots available to go after a 3 point ace, a rim attacker/finisher, or both. We need more quickness.
Yep. Quickness... laterally and while slashing. Gotta be able to disrupt defensively and break down good defensive teams via dribble penetration. If you can't do those two things, you aren't going to win championships. Teams that can do those two things, have a solid post presence and 1 or 2 shooters, have the recipe for being a championship team.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:06 am

All good points Wild. We have one more spot available, but I will be surprised if he uses it. He is reluctant to recruit over his current guards. Walker needs to be a starter. One or both of twins need to come off the bench but I don’t think he will ever do that.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » April 23rd, 2024, 10:58 am

People may disagree, but I think Sides can be that 3pt Ace. She is a pretty good shooter that we only got to see glimpses of.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 23rd, 2024, 11:13 am

Wyldkatz wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:58 am
People may disagree, but I think Sides can be that 3pt Ace. She is a pretty good shooter that we only got to see glimpses of.
Maybe so, but can she consistently get good shots off against taller defenders?

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » April 23rd, 2024, 1:41 pm

They need to run her off screens to get her open.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 23rd, 2024, 4:28 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:36 am
greycat68 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 9:24 pm
I am aware Cavinder has decommitted but they signed Haley Van Lith who is one of the top players in the country. Plus they signed Maddie Scherr from Kentucky. Our signee was the 6th man at Missouri St. No comparison.
i don't think tcu signed van lith yet. maybe i missed it? do you have a source?
Conversation
On3
@On3sports
LSU transfer Hailey Van Lith refutes commitment to TCU, still weighing options👀

(via
@AP
)

https://on3.com/transfer-portal/news/ls ... g-options/
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 23rd, 2024, 9:58 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 4:28 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:36 am

i don't think tcu signed van lith yet. maybe i missed it? do you have a source?
Conversation
On3
@On3sports
LSU transfer Hailey Van Lith refutes commitment to TCU, still weighing options👀

(via
@AP
)

https://on3.com/transfer-portal/news/ls ... g-options/
Yeah I don’t know if she’s even on our radar, but that would make a huge impact if she was added. I don’t know what the appeal to TCU is, other than possible NIL?