KSU vs Portland

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Re: KSU vs Portland

Post by purpleprairiecat » March 23rd, 2024, 10:33 am

catalyst wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 7:39 pm
Great to see Gabby lighting it up! Here's hoping the next game will be more widely available than on ESPN News.
It is on ESPN. I hope to see a different set of refs for this game.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 23rd, 2024, 11:24 am

afterthoughts from the gym ...

1. nice to see a crowd worthy of this group - not full but close and students were great;
2. portland was better than expected - brought band and diversity;
3. this team flows and goes with gabby - 22 points from her is a winning number every time;
4. serena's is exceptional - but she's having head issues at the line (3-9);
5. in fact the team needs to be better there (19-29) - leaving ten freebees won't win going forward;
6. yoki one rebound shy of a double/double - i'm guilty of taking her greatness for granted;
7. the glenns are interchangeable - six points, six boards, three assists between them;
8. but walker brings basketball moxie - seven points, five boards, two steals;
9. fourteen turnovers are too much as this moves along - pesky portland reminded me of wvu in that way;
10. colorado looks like an upper tier b12 team - home court will matter - be there!

Why is there something rather than nothing?

purpleprairiecat

Post by purpleprairiecat » March 23rd, 2024, 11:56 am

tmcats wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 11:24 am

1. nice to see a crowd worthy of this group - not full but close and students were great;
3. this team flows and goes with gabby - 22 points from her is a winning number every time;
5. in fact the team needs to be better there (19-29) - leaving ten freebees won't win going forward;
6. yoki one rebound shy of a double/double - i'm guilty of taking her greatness for granted;
7. the glenns are interchangeable - six points, six boards, three assists between them;
9. fourteen turnovers are too much as this moves along - pesky portland reminded me of wvu in that way;
10. colorado looks like an upper tier b12 team - home court will matter - be there!

Thanks for the report. It is always useful to hear from a fan who saw the game in person. Walker needs to look for that pull-up, mid-range jumper more. That is a very effective shot. Sundell has openly talked about her current mental block on shooting fouls. I am no sports psychologist, but it seems she needs to practice a shooting routine, and then just step up to the line and shoot following that routine and without thinking about shooting. I an sure this is easier said than done.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm

purpleprairiecat wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 11:56 am
Thanks for the report. It is always useful to hear from a fan who saw the game in person. Walker needs to look for that pull-up, mid-range jumper more. That is a very effective shot. Sundell has openly talked about her current mental block on shooting fouls. I am no sports psychologist, but it seems she needs to practice a shooting routine, and then just step up to the line and shoot following that routine and without thinking about shooting. I an sure this is easier said than done.
[/quote]

yep, i'd tell her to look at the rim first - not last, over the front of it - not back, gooseneck the finish on your toes. but i never got beyond winning the 8th grade cyo league. ha.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » March 23rd, 2024, 12:37 pm

I had to work yesterday so I watched the game last night. Portland had a bunch of very nice looking girls but the game they play is pure helter skel;ter. We have to shoot free throws better going forward, and limit turnovers. I don't know what has happened because early in the season they were shooting ft's so well. Let's get Colorado and move on, Go Cat's!

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 23rd, 2024, 1:11 pm

Kralicek wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 12:37 pm
I had to work yesterday so I watched the game last night. Portland had a bunch of very nice looking girls but the game they play is pure helter skel;ter. We have to shoot free throws better going forward, and limit turnovers. I don't know what has happened because early in the season they were shooting ft's so well. Let's get Colorado and move on, Go Cat's!
We actually shot about 65% from the line which isn’t horrible but another 5-10% would be helpful. I thought we did handle their crazy press well in the backcourt but got careless several times after crossing mid court. I thought we lost focus in the last minute or two of the quarters and gave back quite a few points that took away our momentum.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
Kralicek

purpleprairiecat

Post by purpleprairiecat » March 23rd, 2024, 1:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm
purpleprairiecat wrote:
Thanks for the report. It is always useful to hear from a fan who saw the game in person. Walker needs to look for that pull-up, mid-range jumper more. That is a very effective shot. Sundell has openly talked about her current mental block on shooting fouls. I am no sports psychologist, but it seems she needs to practice a shooting routine, and then just step up to the line and shoot following that routine and without thinking about shooting. I am sure this is easier said than done.
yep, i'd tell her to look at the rim first - not last, over the front of it - not back, gooseneck the finish on your toes. but i never got beyond winning the 8th grade cyo league. ha.

[/quote]

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 23rd, 2024, 1:25 pm

Other than Sundell we shot pretty well from the line. Yokie was 7 for 8, Gabby 5 for 6. 20 out of 16 or 80%. Sundell should be an 80% free throw shooter as well. She needs to shoot 500 per day. Shoot so much it is hard to miss.

purpleprairiecat

Post by purpleprairiecat » March 23rd, 2024, 1:37 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm
purpleprairiecat wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, especially the finish on her toes.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » March 23rd, 2024, 10:10 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 11:24 am

I read that tomorrow's game vs. Colorado is *completely* sold out - should be a terrific atmosphere, reminiscent of the days with Nicole, Kendra, Laurie, et al.
These users thanked the author catalyst for the post:
tmcats