Iowa Game

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: Iowa Game

Post by bhoovy » November 16th, 2023, 11:57 pm

nick57 wrote:
November 16th, 2023, 10:45 pm
Iowa was a 15.5 favorite.
Man, I’m not a gambler but if I had known that I think I’d have put some good money down on that. I didn’t know if we’d win but I was very confident it would be single digits.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
randallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » November 17th, 2023, 12:05 am

I would also say that the refs were pretty brutal. Ayoka’s fouls were weak at best. Sundell got called for an offensive foul for basically just dribbling down the court. Sides was called out of bounds and wasn’t. The Iowa shot they first counted and then took away cost us a possession and I knew it was late live. The woman ref seemed to be the only one who wasn’t vision impaired.

They let Lee get hammered and called numerous ticky tack at best.
Section 12-2

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » November 17th, 2023, 6:49 am

bhoovy wrote:
November 17th, 2023, 12:05 am
I would also say that the refs were pretty brutal. Ayoka’s fouls were weak at best. Sundell got called for an offensive foul for basically just dribbling down the court. Sides was called out of bounds and wasn’t. The Iowa shot they first counted and then took away cost us a possession and I knew it was late live. The woman ref seemed to be the only one who wasn’t vision impaired.

I certainly agree that there were several weird officiating situations last night. I coached basketball and other sports for nearly forty years so I have one point to add. If Ayoka makes her layup, she doesn’t get the ticky tack foul 90 feet from the basket. Maybe it was a bad call but she brought that one on herself with the easy miss. Don’t compound one mistake with another.
Last edited by AlabamaLane on November 17th, 2023, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
randallcat85

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » November 17th, 2023, 8:31 am

It wasn't a great game to watch and we could have beaten them by double digits if we make half our bunnies the first half, but the girls fought hard in spite of poor officiating, and got the plays when they needed them. Lee is a special player and the supporting cast is exceptional. The talent level has greatly improved, and the starting lineup will change before the season is finished. Great hard fought win in very hostile environment. It is going to be very enjoyable, and special year if Yoki stays healthy.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » November 17th, 2023, 9:53 am

AlabamaLane wrote:
November 17th, 2023, 6:49 am
bhoovy wrote:
November 17th, 2023, 12:05 am

I certainly agree that there were several weird officiating situations last night. I coached basketball and other sports for nearly forty years so I have one point to add. If Ayoka makes her layup, she doesn’t get the ticky tack foul 90 feet from the basket. Maybe it was a bad call but she brought that one on herself with the easy miss. Don’t compound one mistake with another.
Very true. As I mentioned in another post, we missed several bunnies and Lee had a couple of those right off the bat. Not typical of her, but something I was afraid may come back to bite us. As it was it just prevented us from a double digit win instead of the 7 point win.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » November 17th, 2023, 10:37 am

Yoki had 22 pts on 9/14 shooting
Clark had 24 on 9/32 shooting

Clark is a great shooter, but also a high volume shooter. They will go as far as Clark can carry them. 1 cold night and they are done. We have a Team. Ayoka is a great player. But it no longer feels like the game is gonna get away from us when she isn't on the floor. Great game all around. Lots of clutch plays every time the crowd started to get loud.

Yoki also had 12 boards. Our All American>Their All American.
These users thanked the author Wyldkatz for the post (total 3):
randallcat85purplehairedladyx2purpleprairiecat

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 17th, 2023, 11:37 am

my morning after observations because it's fun to write after wins ...

1. k-state just had better players last night across the board, sans caitlin clark;
2. k-state was better coached throughout, give jeff mittie his due - cut them up at times like hot knife through warm butter;
3. cats covered clark like the london fog, walker and glenn were outstanding;
4. yeah, gabby was off until in mattered when she drained the trey and then broke the zone;
5. sundell just has such confidence, in fact the whole team never looked intimidated by the environment seemingly enjoyed it all night;
6. that quarter with the seven seconds left after the late iowa shot, i'm still confused by that call denying the cats a possession, good grief;
7. our freshman, sides, i swear, she's the second coming of shalee;
8. i guess we can see that lee is back near 100% physically, dominating in the low post, just needs some time to hone her game;
9. had they hit their bunnies, cats would have won by twenty plus;
10. those gray threads look sweet but not like that victory over #2, their crowd, and those putrid refs.

Brad Doebele
@catfan28
Despite already playing high scoring Iowa and Caitlyn Clark at their place…Kansas State Women’s Basketball currently still is #1 in the Big 12 and 11th in the nation in scoring defense allowing just a measly 44.0 points per[

Kansas State WBB jumps in the Massey computer ratings overnight from #46 all the way up to #22. Iowa falls from #2 down to #7.

Last edited by tmcats on November 17th, 2023, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
Catalumrandallcat85
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » November 17th, 2023, 12:01 pm

tmcats wrote:
November 17th, 2023, 11:37 am
my morning after observations because it's fun to write after wins ...

1. k-state just had better players last night across the board, sans caitlin clark;
2. k-state was better coached throughout, give jeff mittie his due - cut them up at times like knife through warm butter;
3. cats covered clark like the london fog, walker and glenn were outstanding;
4. yeah, gabby was off until in mattered when she drained the trey and then broke the zone;
5. sundell just has such confidence, in fact the whole team never looked intimidated by the environment seemingly enjoyed it all night;
6. that quarter with the seven seconds left after the late iowa shot, i'm still confused by that call denying the cats a possession, good grief;
7. our freshman, sides, i swear, she's the second coming of shalee;
8. i guess we can see that lee is back near 100% physically, dominating in the low post, just needs some time to hone her game;
9. had they hit their bunnies, cats would have won by twenty plus;
10. those gray threads look sweet but not like that victory over #2, their crowd, and those putrid refs.

Brad Doebele
@catfan28
Despite already playing high scoring Iowa and Caitlyn Clark at their place…Kansas State Women’s Basketball currently still is #1 in the Big 12 and 11th in the nation in scoring defense allowing just a measly 44.0 points per[

Kansas State WBB jumps in the Massey computer ratings overnight from #46 all the way up to #22. Iowa falls from #2 down to #7.

Only to #22?? They just beat the #2 team and the preseason POY on the road, in front of a sold out crowd, and were the better team, and they themselves are unbeaten in the very early part of the seasons. I still think they should have had a preseason rank, but whatever. I know Massey is just one ranking system but still.
tmcats

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 17th, 2023, 12:27 pm

But K-State was definitely getting in our space, pressuring the ball, taking Marshall completely out of the game and to the bench, shutting down our pick and roll plays after some early success, helping and recovering. It's like there were six of them out there playing man and zone at the same time. They deserve all the credit in the world for trusting their game plan in a hostile environment even when they were down by five late.

On offense they were patient enough quarter to quarter and possession to possession, to establish Anoka Lee inside. Down the stretch we had no answer for her. Like I said I just hope that future opponents don't take note and copy this.

https://forum.hawkeyenation.com/threads ... ead.96665/
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

kswrangler52

Post by kswrangler52 » November 17th, 2023, 1:00 pm

I'm not one that cries "no respect" but ESPN's game recap was only about poor Clarke. not giving any credit to KSU at all. At least the CBS recap talked about us and what we did.
These users thanked the author kswrangler52 for the post:
randallcat85