#7 cats @ #12 baylor, monday, fs1, 7:30 ...

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
GoCats

Re: #7 cats @ #12 baylor, monday, fs1, 7:30 ...

Post by GoCats » January 23rd, 2024, 12:35 am

bhoovy wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 10:48 pm
GoCats wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 10:44 pm
What is our toughest remaining game? @ Texas?
Lots of tough games left. @OU, @UT, @ISU, @KU, home against ISU, home against WVU.

Can’t take any game for granted.
I wanted to ask - is the Big 12 also considered the toughest conference in WBB as it is for MBB? I don’t really know the WBB landscape as well. I know you have various top teams in the SEC (e.g., South Carolina and LSU most prominently), but how does the Big 12 stack up?

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » January 23rd, 2024, 5:38 am

GoCats wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 12:35 am
bhoovy wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 10:48 pm

Lots of tough games left. @OU, @UT, @ISU, @KU, home against ISU, home against WVU.

Can’t take any game for granted.
I wanted to ask - is the Big 12 also considered the toughest conference in WBB as it is for MBB? I don’t really know the WBB landscape as well. I know you have various top teams in the SEC (e.g., South Carolina and LSU most prominently), but how does the Big 12 stack up?
The Pac12 top to bottom is probably the toughest. USC, UCLA, Colorado, Stanford, and Utah are all top 20. Of course, 2 of them will be in the Big12 next year, so then this conference becomes insanely good.

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » January 23rd, 2024, 8:42 am

AlabamaLane wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:40 pm
ToledoCat#3 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:20 pm
I wonder which of the coaches works with Maupin.? That athletic young lady has made remarkable strides from last year. She is so quick and athletic. She just missed several more O-rebounds. She can jump so high her hands were a foot above the other players.
She was a state champion in the high jump and possibly the long jump in Missouri so she certainly as athleticism.
Rovelto needs to make Maupin a dual sport athlete.
These users thanked the author Kralicek for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 23rd, 2024, 10:15 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:20 pm
I wonder which of the coaches works with Maupin.? That athletic young lady has made remarkable strides from last year. She is so quick and athletic. She just missed several more O-rebounds. She can jump so high her hands were a foot above the other players.
I have watched Eliza Maupin since she became a part of our program and was beginning to wonder if she was ever going to make the transition from athlete to basketball player. Was she ever going to get it, and did she truly have the skills? Would she be similar to Wally Judge and not remain in the program for the long haul?

Her recent metamorphosis seemed all-of-a-sudden, but apparently, she has been progressing the whole time. It's like the light suddenly came on. She appeared to go from tentative to confident overnight. I am not sure I have ever seen such a dramatic departure from previous performance.

Now it feels like the sky is the limit. Just one more piece to an amazing team.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am

morning afterthoughts:

1. eliza maupin played like she was on a pogo-stick out there with 16 and 9;
2. watching her the past couple of years, this performance was a surprise only in timing because she's clearly a great athlete;
3. but i thought it was gabby's second half that turned the game as she finally found hers with 16, 4 and 4 assists;
4. she's a mauler under the hoop where she can just bully-ball most girls and did last night in the second;
5. but serena stirs the drink for this club, doesn't she - so athletic, composed, fast, quick, smart, yet elegant in her way with 16, 5 and 3;
6. worst free throw shooting by two teams i've seen all season a combined 19 for 34, 56%;
7. mittie went zone and their coach had no answer, no high post game whatsoever;
8. k-state's length with serena, the glenns, and maupin coupled with their quick hands and basketball smarts turned this game with defense;
9. baylor's new arena may be great but the camera angle and crowd sucked, to say nothing for fs1's first half technical issues, yikes!
10. for those who don't follow these cats, its team strength was shown last night - not just the all-american yoki - no, its the overall depth.

Last edited by tmcats on January 23rd, 2024, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
Catalumpurpleprairiecat
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

purplehairedladyx2

Post by purplehairedladyx2 » January 23rd, 2024, 11:35 am

Agree with everything you said, TM! Awesome team!
These users thanked the author purplehairedladyx2 for the post:
tmcats

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » January 23rd, 2024, 11:44 am

tmcats wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am
morning afterthoughts:

1. eliza maupin played like she was on a pogo-stick out there with 16 and 5;
2. watching her the past couple of years, this performance was a surprise only in timing because she's clearly a great athlete;
3. but i thought it was gabby's second half that turned the game as she finally found hers with 16, 4 and 4 assists;
4. she's a mauler under the hoop where she can just bully-ball most girls and did last night in the second;
5. but serena stirs the drink for this club, doesn't she - so athletic, composed, fast, quick, smart, yet elegant in her way with 16, 5 and 3;
6. worst free throw shooting by two teams i've seen all season a combined 19 for 34, 56%;
7. mittie went zone and their coach had no answer, no high post game whatsoever;
8. k-state's length with serena, the glenns, and maupin coupled with their quick hands and basketball smarts turned this game with defense;
9. baylor's new arena may be great but the camera angle and crowd sucked, to say nothing for fs1's first half technical issues, yikes!
10. for those who don't follow these cats, its team strength was shown last night - not just the all-american yoki - no, its the overall depth.

I just love the reactions of a few people in this picture. "What are you doing? Nooooooooo!" Just probably like every one of us. Then there is her expression, "I've got this". Then she drains it. Let's hope that confidence carries on.
These users thanked the author PurpleWildcat for the post:
tmcats

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » January 23rd, 2024, 12:20 pm

I thought it was quite qutsy to go for the block on the 3-point attempt at the buzzer. Not sure which player it was, but it was a clean block. Exciting group of young women.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 23rd, 2024, 12:25 pm

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 12:20 pm
I thought it was quite qutsy to go for the block on the 3-point attempt at the buzzer. Not sure which player it was, but it was a clean block. Exciting group of young women.
no fear glenn!

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
purpleprairiecat
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

Catalum

Post by Catalum » January 23rd, 2024, 12:56 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am
morning afterthoughts:

1. eliza maupin played like she was on a pogo-stick out there with 16 and 5;

Always appreciate your "afterthoughts". Regarding #9 and the "camera angle", my son and I were saying the same thing......absolutely horrible. Felt like I was watching the game from a blimp or a drone overhead.

So glad Serena was able to return after that ankle sprain. She really is the facilitator for this team. As you eluded to in #10, this team really does have some great attributes outside of Yoki.....and tremendous depth.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post:
tmcats

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.