No more pompons for me, just the truth

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: No more pompons for me, just the truth

Post by wild@nite » April 16th, 2018, 8:55 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
wild@nite wrote:My goodness, the irony. I don't get this board at all. Nobody can handle being disagreed with like an adult. Talk about taking yourselves too seriously.
The pot calling the kettle black.[/quote

Yeah, ok. Who dedicated an entire thread to call a couple of posters names? Im assuming no warning was given as you've done it again in recent posts.
Last edited by wild@nite on April 16th, 2018, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fullypersuaded

Post by Fullypersuaded » April 16th, 2018, 9:01 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
KITNooga wrote:following this logic, we'd have stopped trying with Dean Wade about a year and a half ago.

there's an ebb/flow and progression to these kids and their development. coaches too. whether we are talkin' Dana, Frank or Bruce.
There is no parallel between Mawien and Wade. None!
Mawien has his set of unique skills. He may become our best big at blocking shots and he has a better repertoire of moves/shots in the paint, in my opinion. The skills are there.

Fullypersuaded

Post by Fullypersuaded » April 16th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Puffdad wrote:Just curious for informational purposes why are some people convinced that Trice isn’t 6’7” as he’s been listed since he was a junior in high school? Now 4 years later he has shrunk? He looks pretty big in his videos. And he looks legit standing next to Coach Korn in his signing picture. Clack Korn is 6’10”.
Capture+_2018-04-16-19-54-22-360x600.png
Capture+_2018-04-16-19-54-22-360x600.png (210.76 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » April 16th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Fullypersuaded wrote: Mawien has his set of unique skills. He may become our best big at blocking shots and he has a better repertoire of moves/shots in the paint, in my opinion. The skills are there.
appreciate that. think I see the same things.

I could not care less whether or not Mak is 'like Dean' or not. I can say that I greatly enjoyed watching him play this year and have expectations that he'll continue to improve, grow stronger, gain confidence and be one of my favorites before he's done.

I'm often reminded of that great saying 'I hired an employee and a person showed up'.

some things happen in their own time, at their own pace. and not at all in accordance with any one fan or group of fan's wishes.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » April 16th, 2018, 10:02 pm

"In his last 9 games between 2/24 and 3/24, Makol averaged 25 minutes, 10.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, and 1 steal per game while shooting 57% from two and 87.5% from the free throw line, including multiple critical situation free throws."

I'd take that in a heartbeat for next year.

"Now some may quibble that this stretch included Makol's "big" game against KU, a game in which Doke did not play. Let's get real folks. If Lightfoot and De Sousa were playing as JUCOs, they would both be All-Americans."

DeSousa yes, Lightfoot maybe. Lightfoot will be a cheerleader before next year is over.

"The problem last season wasn't Makol. It was the big men behind Makol. Levi Stockard was the best of them, but as a true freshman, he struggled at the high major level as many true freshmen big men do. KSU doesn't need Trice to "replace" Makol. They need Trice to play ahead of a still raw Levi Stockard (and Love and Shadd)."

Agreed.

I really don't understand your point harv. What are your expectations for Makol next year? What would be acceptable?

As for the sKUm B12 tourney game, how many shots do you think Makol gets if Barry doesn't get poked in the eye?

I don't see Makol being another JO. I don't see him as a back-to-the basket 5 (i'm not sure if Weber ever had one of those). I see him more as a stretch 4 in his own right, not a Dean Wade type 4. I see no reason he can't continue to improve and become a big factor in the success of this team.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 16th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Spirited discussion is always good and I've only been wrong once or twice in my life so you all would be better off just agreeing with me all the time. Seriously though we all would be better off not taking things so personally.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 16th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Last edited by xtrawildcat on April 17th, 2018, 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 17th, 2018, 12:05 am

Really neither Mak or Austin is a true 5. Both are more 4 guys. So is Levi. Shadd and Love are 5s. I don't see the problem playing 2 4s. Generally they are quicker, more mobile and better shooters. I am very greatful to have such a nice selection of pretty big guys to choose from. And one of them is 6-10 and one of the best players in the league, if not America. Wasn't very long ago we had a possibly 6-7 Gip who was not a jumper and 6-4 or 6-5 Nino who had a bad knee. I think we are doing OK right now.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 17th, 2018, 7:35 am

Austin is a true 5. He’s never going to take a shot outside of 5 feet from the basket. I think people think a 5 never faces the basket but that’s just not true anymore. Mak is much more a 4 man. Not a stretch 4 but a mid range guy. It will be nice to have a post rotation again because Mak can force himself to play the 5 even though it’s not his thing.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2018, 8:05 am

last night i re-watched the game @ baylor. my gosh, we were hummin'. that was the game that mak played so well on the offensive end the first half, dean absolutely dominated their bigs and barry hit him with a behind the back pass for a fast break flush. solid. next season should be special.
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell