No more pompons for me, just the truth

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
IStillLikeHarv

Re: No more pompons for me, just the truth

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 16th, 2018, 2:47 pm

In the prior season, we all noted that Maurice came on at the season's end (a key factor in KSU making the NCAA tournament) after struggling early as a redshirt freshman (a player who had already been in the system for a year). This season Makol, in his first year in the system, also came on at the end of the season. In his last 9 games between 2/24 and 3/24, Makol averaged 25 minutes, 10.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, and 1 steal per game while shooting 57% from two and 87.5% from the free throw line, including multiple critical situation free throws.

Now some may quibble that this stretch included Makol's "big" game against KU, a game in which Doke did not play. Let's get real folks. If Lightfoot and De Sousa were playing as JUCOs, they would both be All-Americans. In his big 30-point, 15-rebound game against Lakeland Community College, Trice was going up against a 6'10" kid who isn't remotely as good as either Lightfoot or De Souza. If the objection that "it matters who you play against" applies to Makol, then it applies ten times as much to Austin Trice. Makol has demonstrated in those last 9 games that he can put up solid numbers against high major opponents. Trice has not done that yet.

I think all KSU fans should be excited about getting Trice, and I am sure the KSU coaches are, but not because Trice is going to "replace" Makol. The grim truth about last season is that in those last 9 games, Makol fouled out 3 times and had four fouls in 2 more. KSU desperately needs Trice because Dean Wade and Makol are simply not close to being enough to man the front line next season. The result last season was that Dean had to play too many minutes (quite possibly contributing to his foot injury) and Makol simply couldn't play much more than he did effectively.

The problem last season wasn't Makol. It was the big men behind Makol. Levi Stockard was the best of them, but as a true freshman, he struggled at the high major level as many true freshmen big men do. KSU doesn't need Trice to "replace" Makol. They need Trice to play ahead of a still raw Levi Stockard (and Love and Shadd).

It would be nice to think that Dean (30 mpg), Makol (25 mpg), and Trice (25 mpg) will be able to cover the 80 mpg needed at the 4/5 spots in each game next season, but that is unrealistic. The truth is that KSU will likely need some minutes from other big men at the 4/5 spots in at least some of the games.

As for Austin Trice as a player, yes he projects as a plus rebounder and a plus power dunker even against high major opponents, although anyone expecting double-digit rebounds is probably being overly optimistic. Trice also comes with known serious defects in his game and quite a few unproven aspects. By all appearances, he can't shoot a lick beyond 5 feet and he is a terrible free thrower (50%). That's before you deal with unknowns like foul trouble, defensive issues, turnovers, etc. against high major opponents. The big hope for KSU is that Trice can fix these holes in his game so that he and Makol can be the leaders on the front line as seniors once Dean graduates.

Anyone worried about minutes for Trice might also consider this. Trice is about the same size as Xavier Sneed, and Trice has described himself as able to play center, power forward, or small forward. If he is good enough, Trice may not only be the key to keeping sane minutes for Dean and Makol, but also for Xavier. Indeed the danger may be burning out Trice with too many minutes!

:D

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » April 16th, 2018, 4:03 pm

"What is truth?"

"You can't handle the truth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while truth is putting on its shoes."

"The truth is more important than the facts."

"Truth is like the sun, you can shut it out for a time but it ain't going away."

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 16th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Just curious for informational purposes why are some people convinced that Trice isn’t 6’7” as he’s been listed since he was a junior in high school? Now 4 years later he has shrunk? He looks pretty big in his videos. And he looks legit standing next to Coach Korn in his signing picture. Coach Korn is 6’10”.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 16th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I agree and have the same question. Curious if anybody knows for sure how tall he is in basketball shoes or even better, without shoes. I would guess he is about the same height as Iwunda and DJ but only quessing.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 16th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Puffdad wrote:Just curious for informational purposes why are some people convinced that Trice isn’t 6’7” as he’s been listed since he was a junior in high school? Now 4 years later he has shrunk? He looks pretty big in his videos. And he looks legit standing next to Coach Korn in his signing picture. Clack Korn is 6’10”.
Brad Korn was 6' 9" in college. Player heights are subject to expansion and contraction. It is usually a bit humorous to see the actual measurements from the NBA combine, for example. I think Trice's weight at 230 looks pretty close, and that is probably more important than his exact height. His arms are both long and strong, which is also probably more relevant to his rebounding ability. He truly snatches rebounds out of the air with authority. Sir Charles wasn't all that tall, but he was pretty good at that too.

WildPurpleKittyKat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WildPurpleKittyKat » April 16th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Hi Dave and Everyone

I found this article tonight on the internet. Hope everyone is have a beautiful night.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... -contender

We finished 78 per KP on offensive efficiency and 21 in defensive efficiency.

Just by attrition alone all over the country it seems we have an outside chance to break the top 10 in defensive efficiency next year similar to what TTech did this year.The problem is breaking the top 30 in offensive efficiency. That is if we want the Final Four. I mean our luck factor was like 21 last year so the stats show maybe we got a few break? Not sure how luck factor works really.

Anyways i looked at 2017 and 2018 on a few teams and saw for instance Tennessee made big jumps in KP after returning the core of their roster. Honestly I need to go back and research who left Tenn after 2017 but the #'s seemed interesting . I am not the best with all the numbers and comparing and contrasting past and present KP numbers BUT this article seems to point out we NEED to make that jump in off efficiency in order to improve next year to the point we can contend for the FF.

How do we do this? Hard work? Restructuring a few ideas on offense? Maybe when Dean got hurt we lost some serious ground on KP efficiency? It would be interesting to know where our efficiency numbers were BEFORE Dean was injured at the end of the season.

Anyways these number do not lie UNLESS you have a Kemba Walker or Shabazz Napier at PG.

WildPurpleKittyKatxoMeow
The journey starts today. Minneapolis 2019 will be here before you know it!

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 16th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Lowden23 wrote:Dave, does this mean Makol is hopeless, because progression isn't a thing and players like Makol will never be a rebounder? DJ Johnson, Dean Wade, and thousands of other bigs I'm sure would disagree. Does this make me a sunshine boy? Obviously Makol has to put the work in to be a better rebounder but to say Trice can play the 5 as effective as Makol without ever playing D1 ball is just absurd. I'm just as thrilled as the next guy with the signing of Trice but maybe we should see what the guy does against D1 and especially B12 talent before we consider him our saving grace. IMO Makols value isn't necessarily how much he stuffs a stat sheet or lack thereof, it's about how well he can minimize or shut down an opposing big coupled with his ability to score from mid range and on the block. He's definitely not someone teams can turn a blind eye on.

I never said that Mawien was hopeless. I said that we may have a better option for a rebounder, a critical area of concern. If that's the case, and Mawien doesn't improve in that area, then his minutes will likely be reduced. In my view, he's just a soft player ... a finesse player. He really doesn't like contact and he doesn't like to mix it up inside. Is that really what we want in a center. Sure Mawien finally showed some offensive potential late in the season, but he was inconsistent as hell, and there were times when you didn't even know he was on the court. Not so with the other 4 starters.

I'm sure Bruce will find minutes for Mawien, because he does possess some basketball skills, but the whole point is now we don't have to rely on him so much. If he's getting killed on the boards and not putting forth the effort in that area, then we have Pac Man to put in the game. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. Last year we lived and died with Mawien and a few other guys who didn't give us much either. Those days should be over.

As far as I know there are only two Sunshine Boys on the forum.
Last edited by pulitzerdave on April 16th, 2018, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 16th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Just jumped on a few minutes ago. Glad to discuss this issue with anyone except the Sunshine Boys. It's so nice having them as Foes.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 16th, 2018, 7:59 pm

wild@nite wrote:My goodness, the irony. I don't get this board at all. Nobody can handle being disagreed with like an adult. Talk about taking yourselves too seriously.
The pot calling the kettle black.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 16th, 2018, 8:01 pm

KITNooga wrote:following this logic, we'd have stopped trying with Dean Wade about a year and a half ago.

there's an ebb/flow and progression to these kids and their development. coaches too. whether we are talkin' Dana, Frank or Bruce.
There is no parallel between Mawien and Wade. None!