UMBC game thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: UMBC game thread

Post by tmcats » March 19th, 2018, 2:19 pm

uk is susceptible to points in the paint. dean and mawien may do the trick.

"Davidson and Buffalo, a pair of double-digit seeds, made 50 percent of their shots inside the arc against the Wildcats." ESPN
Why is there something rather than nothing?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 19th, 2018, 5:12 pm

"Hilltop, kudos to you as you were right about the mid range last night. Brown, Stokes and Sneed all hit a pull up jumper that helped us win the game.
I love admitting I am wrong about stuff like this when the result was a win."

Sorry xtra, I'm not looking to be right. If you've got the guns, shoot the 3, If you've got the height, throw it down. I just believe that the mid-range game is severely underutilized in college basketball. I've enjoyed watching the NIT games on the NBA court. I'm ready for the switch right now.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 19th, 2018, 5:19 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:"Hilltop, kudos to you as you were right about the mid range last night. Brown, Stokes and Sneed all hit a pull up jumper that helped us win the game.
I love admitting I am wrong about stuff like this when the result was a win."

Sorry xtra, I'm not looking to be right. If you've got the guns, shoot the 3, If you've got the height, throw it down. I just believe that the mid-range game is severely underutilized in college basketball. I've enjoyed watching the NIT games on the NBA court. I'm ready for the switch right now.
Unfortunatley, for whatever reason, we couldn't hit a three last night. Then they did a good job of taking away the drives. Those three mid range shots late in the game were key. (Plus Sneeds 2 dunks off the steal and the offensive rebound.)

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » March 19th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Question for the very knowledgeable. At about the 2 minute mark, UMBC twice avoided a backcourt violation by great hustle that the announcers went berserk over. I watched on slow motion and there was a clear violation at the 1:57 mark that the producers never showed on replay. Fortunately, the missed call didn’t hurt KState. My question: is that reviewable in the last 2 minutes and, if so, how is a review initiated ? Thanks in advance.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » March 19th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Watched the game again because I wanted to try to figure out what we tried to do offensively. I still don't know and I don't know it anyone outside of Wade can feed the post on this team. When guys have great position we either don't throw it inside or we try to throw it inside at terrible angles.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » March 19th, 2018, 7:18 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:Watched the game again because I wanted to try to figure out what we tried to do offensively. I still don't know and I don't know it anyone outside of Wade can feed the post on this team. When guys have great position we either don't throw it inside or we try to throw it inside at terrible angles.
And we have a horrible habit of staring down the target.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 19th, 2018, 7:53 pm

PurpleOnWhite wrote:Question for the very knowledgeable. At about the 2 minute mark, UMBC twice avoided a backcourt violation by great hustle that the announcers went berserk over. I watched on slow motion and there was a clear violation at the 1:57 mark that the producers never showed on replay. Fortunately, the missed call didn’t hurt KState. My question: is that reviewable in the last 2 minutes and, if so, how is a review initiated ? Thanks in advance.
I think in the last 2 minutes, most calls are subject to review by the officials. Not so sure if coaches can request a review after the 2 minute mark or not.

learnin

Post by learnin » March 19th, 2018, 8:06 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:Watched the game again because I wanted to try to figure out what we tried to do offensively. I still don't know and I don't know it anyone outside of Wade can feed the post on this team. When guys have great position we either don't throw it inside or we try to throw it inside at terrible angles.
Keep in mind that, without Dean, they fed Mawien pretty well against KU. Sometimes, a team takes away what you would like to do. Lowery explained the offensive strategy in his post game remarks to Wyatt and Stan. He said that UMBC was guarding very well from the top of the key out to the half court. After trying several options, with obviously the three point shot not falling, the coaches told the guards to dribble out the shot clock and then drive to see if they could create or draw a foul.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » March 19th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I thought Sneed had a couple of nice feeds early.