#8 Creighton (21-11, 10-8, 3rd BE), #9 K-State, Fri, 5:50

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: #8 Creighton (21-11, 10-8, 3rd BE), #9 K-State, Fri, 5:5

Post by learnin » March 13th, 2018, 10:17 pm

wild@nite wrote:
KsJoey wrote:I just hope Dean is playing at 100%. If so, he'll either get a ton of points, or a ton of assists. Probably both. Creighton just doesn't have the bigmen to stop both Makol and Dean. The Khyi and Marcus duo does scare me a bit though. But i feel better knowing Brown will be on Marcus ...nothing will come easy for him.
I agree that Creighton is thin on experienced big men, but I'm not truly confident our HC will expose that. I'm being dead serious here. All too often we have ignored our big men or not "force" them to be the focal point of our offense. It's perplexing when this happens because sometimes Weber stands there with jaw open and palms up like somebody just said a naughty word when the entire world knows who in the heck should be getting the ball. He was forced to get Mawein the ball vs. KU and found out "by golly" getting it inside may be a good idea, but again, I'm not confident he will make it a priority again. Probably doesn't realize Creighton is thin on experience with the bigs. After all, he didn't know KU sometimes ran a 2-3 zone.
He wasn't FORCED to get Mawein the ball. He exploited a weakness with Azibuke on the sideline. It's easy to say everyone knows who should be getting the ball. Don't forget that the other teams know who should be getting the ball. If our game plan is to get the ball to one player, there will be teams who will stop that plan if it is effective. Good teams have a multifaceted attack. We fed the ball to Mawien, effectively, but still lost to a team that had several players raining three's and getting put backs.

learnin

Post by learnin » March 13th, 2018, 10:25 pm

The key to this game is keeping the three point margin respectable. Creighton is a team, which lives off the three quite a bit. K-State simply has to defend the three point line in this game. If K-State keeps the three point margin within 4, I think they win. We simply cannot help out on a drive and leave the three point line open. Creighton is weak in the paint, but all five of their players like to shoot the three. Our guys can't allow them to make 12 with the way they're shooting 3's at the moment. Settle for a two pointer, but not a three.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 14th, 2018, 12:26 am

So I see Creighton is a 1 point favorite and ESPN’s BPI factor shows Creighton has a 63% chance of winning. Kentucky is only shown as a 60% chance of winning against Davidson. So Davidson has a better shot of beating Kentucky than KSU does of beating Creighton? KSU disrespected???

purplepain
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by purplepain » March 14th, 2018, 5:47 am

Prediction

8-9 games are always fun, and this one looks like it will fit the bill. These two teams are pretty evenly matched, and while Creighton is favored, I like Kansas State because it looks like Dean Wade and Barry Brown should be healthy enough to play. If they can't go, Creighton is probably the right call.

Kansas State: 64
Creighton: 60

https://herosports.com/college-basketba ... 16-18-cjcj

ksustars754

Post by ksustars754 » March 14th, 2018, 5:52 am

learnin wrote:The key to this game is keeping the three point margin respectable. Creighton is a team, which lives off the three quite a bit. K-State simply has to defend the three point line in this game. If K-State keeps the three point margin within 4, I think they win. We simply cannot help out on a drive and leave the three point line open. Creighton is weak in the paint, but all five of their players like to shoot the three. Our guys can't allow them to make 12 with the way they're shooting 3's at the moment. Settle for a two pointer, but not a three.
Can one of you higher BBIQ guys explain the reasoning behind the overhelp on the driver which consequently leaves someone like Malik Newman who is red hot, wide open? Example. Their guard beats Barry off the dribble but not cleanly so he's still on him just behind a half step or on his side. Diarra will help down off a good 3 PT shooter. There is absolutely no way that anyone can rotate over to that 3 pt shooter. Why can't the help wait until the paint instead of near the top of the key by a guard? Frustrates me.

purplepain

Post by purplepain » March 14th, 2018, 6:12 am

Conference Stats-Big East

Scoring

Foster 4
Harrell 49

Rebounds
Harrell 13
Thomas 33
Foster 37
Mintz 50

Assists
Mintz 13
Thomas 18
Foster 19
Ballock 31
Alexander 36

Steals
Thomas 4
Foster 16
Ballock 39

Blocks

Hegner 26
Suarez 31

FG%
Foster 9

3 Pt FG%
Foster 6
Thomas 7

Assist/Turnover %
Mintz 2
Harrell 10
Ballock 22
Foster 40
Hegner 45

purplepain

Post by purplepain » March 14th, 2018, 6:20 am

Best first-round game

(7) Rhode Island vs. (10) Oklahoma, Thursday, 12:15 p.m. CBS: We're not messing around this year. The first game on the first day is a good one. The Rams have stumbled of late, but 25 wins and an Atlantic 10 regular-season title should count for a lot. Slowing down Sooners freshman sensation Trae Young is the primary objective for Rhode Island, which is making its second-straight NCAA appearance under Dan Hurley.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/colleg ... 419309002/

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 14th, 2018, 7:54 am

"Can one of you higher BBIQ guys explain the reasoning behind the overhelp on the driver which consequently leaves someone like Malik Newman who is red hot, wide open? Example. Their guard beats Barry off the dribble but not cleanly so he's still on him just behind a half step or on his side. Diarra will help down off a good 3 PT shooter. There is absolutely no way that anyone can rotate over to that 3 pt shooter. Why can't the help wait until the paint instead of near the top of the key by a guard? Frustrates me.[/quote]"

I've asked this several times. Our guards will be sagging off and there's a kick out pass and their guy gets it 5' beyond the arc and our guard will rush him. In response, their guard will blow by our onrushing guard and cause the defense to break down. We also do this with our bigs, rush guys 25' from the basket. I understand if you want to make the guy move if you feel he can't shoot on the move but we seem to play non-3 pt threats the same as the real gunners.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 14th, 2018, 9:44 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:"Can one of you higher BBIQ guys explain the reasoning behind the overhelp on the driver which consequently leaves someone like Malik Newman who is red hot, wide open? Example. Their guard beats Barry off the dribble but not cleanly so he's still on him just behind a half step or on his side. Diarra will help down off a good 3 PT shooter. There is absolutely no way that anyone can rotate over to that 3 pt shooter. Why can't the help wait until the paint instead of near the top of the key by a guard? Frustrates me.
"

I've asked this several times. Our guards will be sagging off and there's a kick out pass and their guy gets it 5' beyond the arc and our guard will rush him. In response, their guard will blow by our onrushing guard and cause the defense to break down. We also do this with our bigs, rush guys 25' from the basket. I understand if you want to make the guy move if you feel he can't shoot on the move but we seem to play non-3 pt threats the same as the real gunners.[/quote]

In this upcoming matchup, I would much rather not help and let the driver try and score then to help and leave an open 3. If K-State leaves open 3s against Creighton, they will make them.

Bluejays

Post by Bluejays » March 14th, 2018, 11:08 am

purplepain wrote:Conference Stats-Big East

Scoring

Foster 4
Harrell 49

Rebounds
Harrell 13
Thomas 33
Foster 37