#8 Creighton (21-11, 10-8, 3rd BE), #9 K-State, Fri, 5:50

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
purplepain
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: #8 Creighton (21-11, 10-8, 3rd BE), #9 K-State, Fri, 5:5

Post by purplepain » March 12th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Damn, that is some good banter without getting in each other's face. Love it.

Thanks Creighton fan.

Bluejays

Post by Bluejays » March 12th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Also a Creighton fan visiting and Thomas will be guarding Brown not Dean Wade. I expect Ronnie Harrell or Toby Hegner on him which could be a tough matchup. The guy that scares me and other Creighton fans is Maiwen. Also how tall is Dean Wade? ESPN has him as 6-0 (Has to be a typo) Kansas St website has him as 6-10. Someone said 6-8 on here?

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 5:07 pm

If I'm putting on my pessimist glasses, here's the negative against Creighton:
  • We can't hold a lead: The Jays have blown 10+ point leads more times this season than I care to count. So many games this year were a tale of two halves.
  • When our legs aren't under us, the shots aren't falling. The 7 days off going into this game is a very welcome sight.
  • Our rebounding leaves a LOT to be desired
  • When it comes to the tourney, Mac's teams have a tendency to lay an egg at unfortunate times: this doesn't really hold for 1st round games, but definitely for second round games. Creighton has never been to the Sweet 16 in the modern era and there's a lot of pressure on the Jays to get there in the near future.
  • The 4th or 5th best player on your team will have a career day scoring. I guarantee it. We have a great ability to make 29% 3pt shooters go 4-5 from deep while shutting down your best player.
  • Marcus, Davion, and Ty-Shon are playing with a lot to play for. That means they will either play lights out, for force it. I'm hoping it's the first one.
What are K-State weaknesses?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm

tmcats wrote:creighton finished 6-7? i heard something like that on radio today.
6 wins:
6 point OT win at home over 1 seed Villanova
Blowout at home win over 11-20 DePaul
1 point road win over 11-20 DePaul
8 point home win over 15-15 Georgetown
5 point road win over 16-17 St Johns
Blowout over DII School

7 losses:
4 point OT loss to 10 seed Providence in Big East tournament
4 point road loss to 2 NIT seed Marquette
23 point road loss to 10 see Butler
4 point home loss to 2 NIT seed Marquette
1 point home loss to 1 seed Xavier
20 point road loss to 1 seed Villanova
14 point road loss to 10 seed Providence

In the last 13 games, that is only a 1 OT home win over a tournament team, NIT or NCAA. Although it was a great home win over the 1 seed Villanova. In those 6 wins, only 2 were double digit, a win over a 11-20 DePaul (which they only beat by 1 on the road) and a win over a DII school.

They lost 2 times to the same NIT team, 2 times to the same 10 seed, another 10 seed, and 2 times to a 1 seed.

5 losses to teams seeded lower and 1 win over a team seeded higher.

Compared to K-State's last 13 games, they are 7-6. 5 of the 7 wins were over tournament teams (3 NCAA, 2 NIT). 4 of the wins were double digit

The 6 losses were to a 10 seed, 6 seed, 5 seed, 3 seed and 2 times to the same 1 seed.

1 loss to a team seeded lower and 1 win over a team seeded higher.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on March 12th, 2018, 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bluejays

Post by Bluejays » March 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm

A story that may have gone unnoticed is Toby Hegner’s Mother was diagnosed with cancer and has not played close to his potential. Unfortunately we had no one else that was ready to play. His numbers were not good and he was not being mentally “there” was a factor he admitted. However, last week his mother had a successful surgery

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Great listing. Some biased analysis:
ajcksu82 wrote:
tmcats wrote:creighton finished 6-7? i heard something like that on radio today.
6 wins:
6 point OT win at home over 1 seed Villanova
Blowout at home win over 11-20 DePaul (This surprised us because DePaul is a very bad matchup for us)
1 point road win over 11-20 DePaul (See above)
8 point home win over 15-15 Georgetown
5 point road win over 16-17 St Johns I think we can agree that second half St. John's is much different than first half St. John's. They beat Nova and Duke around this time.
Blowout over DII School This was an add-in after Mac looked at the schedule and realized we had a 9 day layoff. I believe the coach was an old GA from Mac's days at UNI. The reserves and walk-ons played the majority of the game.

7 losses:
4 point OT loss to 10 seed Providence in Big East tournament Ed Cooley is Mac's Kryptonite.
4 point road loss to 2 NIT seed Marquette Senior Night for Marquette. They we're hitting shots 4-6 feet behind the three point line. Surprised we kept it close.
23 point road loss to 10 see Butler Senior Night for Butler. Marcus and Khyri were gassed and there was no way Butler was closing out their seniors with a loss there.
4 point home loss to 2 NIT seed Marquette See my note about Jays not holding a lead. This game as a huge dissapointment to the fan base as we blew a 15 point lead here. There was a lot of rumblings from the fan base after this. They responded by beating Nova.
1 point home loss to 1 seed Xavier ...was bullshit. Lol. This was very controversial game that was decided by several bad calls from the officials late in the game, most went against Creighton.
20 point road loss to 1 seed Villanova Yeah.....Nova's good at home.
14 point road loss to 10 seed Providence See my Kryptonite comment.

In the last 13 games, that is only a 1 OT home win over a tournament team, NIT or NCAA. Although it was a great home win over the 1 seed Villanova. In those 6 wins, only 2 were double digit, a win over a 11-20 DePaul (which they only beat by 1 on the road) and a win over a DII school.

They lost 2 times to the same NIT team, 3 times to a 10 seed and 2 times to a 1 seed.

Compared to K-State's last 13 games, they are 7-6. 5 of the 7 wins were over tournament teams (1 being NIT). 4 of the wins were double digit

The 6 losses were to a 10 seed, 6 seed, 5 seed, 3 seed and 2 times to a 1 seed.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 12th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Bluejays wrote:A story that may have gone unnoticed is Toby Hegner’s Mother was diagnosed with cancer and has not played close to his potential. Unfortunately we had no one else that was ready to play. His numbers were not good and he was not being mentally “there” was a factor he admitted. However, last week his mother had a successful surgery
It's good to hear that his mom is doing better. Hopefully that frees up his mind to get him back on track on the court. We oft times forget that these kids have other things going on in their lives, and not always good things.

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
Bluejays wrote:A story that may have gone unnoticed is Toby Hegner’s Mother was diagnosed with cancer and has not played close to his potential. Unfortunately we had no one else that was ready to play. His numbers were not good and he was not being mentally “there” was a factor he admitted. However, last week his mother had a successful surgery
It's good to hear that his mom is doing better. Hopefully that frees up his mind to get him back on track on the court. We oft times forget that these kids have other things going on in their lives, and not always good things.
Absolutely. We were all relieved to hear her surgery went well. Toby's been a great ambassador for the University (as have all the players really).

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Also, if any K-State fans were wondering how Foster has matured since leaving, this a great article for it:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... s-passion/

and a cool story about his fatherhood:
http://www.ketv.com/article/love-and-ba ... l/17016314

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 12th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Bluejays wrote:Also a Creighton fan visiting and Thomas will be guarding Brown not Dean Wade. I expect Ronnie Harrell or Toby Hegner on him which could be a tough matchup. The guy that scares me and other Creighton fans is Maiwen. Also how tall is Dean Wade? ESPN has him as 6-0 (Has to be a typo) Kansas St website has him as 6-10. Someone said 6-8 on here?
He's closer to 6'10" than 6'8" based on meeting him in BWWs a few weeks ago. I'm 6'0" and he had me by a complete head.