KS High School Championship Saturday

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: KS High School Championship Saturday

Post by Puffdad » March 14th, 2018, 11:20 am

I would agree with that and that could easily be addressed by KSHSAA. I say easily....KSHSAA makes easy things difficult. Shoot you could end high school recruiting with a penalty by how much your roster changes from year to year. Even foreign exchange students should probably be included. These students are another new way to recruit.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » March 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I agree with the multiplier situation after a couple years success. Some smaller privates are not doing well, so you can't make them jump with the rest as that would become a joke, but the ones that keep having success every year need to have the multiplier apply on the next time. Sometimes a public school can compete when you have that one class come through, but but for the most part across all sports especially in rural areas, there is no comparison. Problem is KSHSAA is run by the bigger schools. The 5A-6A schools are the ones that need to push for it. The 4A-3A schools don't have enough votes to make that happen. Which I believe are the biggest problems in regards to the disadvantages.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » March 14th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Watutalkaboutwillis wrote:I agree with the multiplier situation after a couple years success. Some smaller privates are not doing well, so you can't make them jump with the rest as that would become a joke, but the ones that keep having success every year need to have the multiplier apply on the next time. Sometimes a public school can compete when you have that one class come through, but but for the most part across all sports especially in rural areas, there is no comparison. Problem is KSHSAA is run by the bigger schools. The 5A-6A schools are the ones that need to push for it. The 4A-3A schools don't have enough votes to make that happen. Which I believe are the biggest problems in regards to the disadvantages.
How can they not have the votes? I'm pretty sure Miege would like the jump in competition, but back in the 80's 4A BB was actually better than 5A.

I'm honestly asking because I have no clue how votes and these things are decided. There certainly are a lot more of the smaller schools that could push for it. I also think that the bigger schools should want to beat the best!

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 14th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Puffdad wrote:
tmcats wrote:i had a son play at st. thomas aquinas and a daughter at bishop miege. neither were recruited. i played at bishop heelan, a legendary iowa power; no one recruited me either.
They still get the ‘elite’ kids. And in scouting the same ones year after year it’s always amazing how much the roster varies year to year. Not like the public schools which rarely changes.
This post probably needs to go to G&G, but this whole line of posts seem to support a voucher system where every parent/guardian is allowed to send their kid where they want them to go not a School Board the sets up crazy neighborhood boundaries.

Thought I would just throw a grenade into this discussion.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 14th, 2018, 1:46 pm

lucky14 wrote:Always interesting how the rosters change at non-public schools from year to year. Great players appear out of nowhere. Also interesting to listen to the people in KC talk about driving through the parking lot at Miege when only athletes are practicing and to see the out of state license plates on the cars. Maybe the private schools should have district boundaries just like public schools....
=============
Or maybe there should not be any boundaries for any school.

It is called competition.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » March 14th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Watutalkaboutwillis wrote:I agree with the multiplier situation after a couple years success. Some smaller privates are not doing well, so you can't make them jump with the rest as that would become a joke, but the ones that keep having success every year need to have the multiplier apply on the next time. Sometimes a public school can compete when you have that one class come through, but but for the most part across all sports especially in rural areas, there is no comparison. Problem is KSHSAA is run by the bigger schools. The 5A-6A schools are the ones that need to push for it. The 4A-3A schools don't have enough votes to make that happen. Which I believe are the biggest problems in regards to the disadvantages.
This is what they went to in Oklahoma a few years ago. It recognizes that some private schools are sports factories and some are not. So a private school that has traditionally been terrible is not forced to become even worse by moving up a classification, while those private's that have dominated their class over a period of time are moved up with schools that can compete with them. Don't know how well it works, but the idea seems solid.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » March 14th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Problem with the multiplier thing is that in Kansas, there really isn't that big of a difference in competition between 5A and 6a, those schools play each other all year long, so who cares if you bump a 5A team up to 6A?? Plus, to say "well, if they have success, they should bump up?" Okay, does that apply to all schools, including public schools?? Would it be for all sports or just that sport or two they dominate??

Just way too many issues with a multiplier, considering we are talking about maybe 3 or 4 private schools across the state that actually have a distinct advantage.

What I would like to see, but will never happen, is a system where every year a school has to have a Varsity, JV and Freshman roster on file with KSHSAA. Then you decide on a percentage and next year, that roster has to be 70% or 75% or whatever the same as it was the year before. None of this crap about an AAU coach getting a job at a school that went 1-21 and he/she brings in 6 new players and abracadabra, now they are 21-2. It happens, and not at private schools.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Gorhoops wrote:Problem with the multiplier thing is that in Kansas, there really isn't that big of a difference in competition between 5A and 6a, those schools play each other all year long, so who cares if you bump a 5A team up to 6A?? Plus, to say "well, if they have success, they should bump up?" Okay, does that apply to all schools, including public schools?? Would it be for all sports or just that sport or two they dominate??

Just way too many issues with a multiplier, considering we are talking about maybe 3 or 4 private schools across the state that actually have a distinct advantage.

What I would like to see, but will never happen, is a system where every year a school has to have a Varsity, JV and Freshman roster on file with KSHSAA. Then you decide on a percentage and next year, that roster has to be 70% or 75% or whatever the same as it was the year before. None of this crap about an AAU coach getting a job at a school that went 1-21 and he/she brings in 6 new players and abracadabra, now they are 21-2. It happens, and not at private schools.
Good idea GorHoops. A rule on a % of roster changes coming from transfers would take care of both the private and public school problems. A common sense idea........they'll never hear of it..............

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » March 14th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Counting state championships in all sports the last 10 years reveals an even bigger disparity between the top private schools and the top public schools. The top six programs are private schools with Aquinas leading the way with 54 championships, followed by Collegiate (30), Miege (25), Carroll (22), Topeka Hayden (20) and St. James (18). The top public school during that span is Baldwin (17).

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 14th, 2018, 5:51 pm

KSHSAA=MSHSAA=NCAA.