Dai Dai Gone!!

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: Dai Dai Gone!!

Post by WildcatEngineer » May 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_E ... asketball)

The central data and debating point of this post is not logical.

Best DUDE in 2019-2020 college basketball was Georgia's Anthony Edwards coached by Tom Crean. Georgia took 10th in the SEC and did not make the tournament. This is similar to LSU's 2015-16 Ben Simmons.

Dai Dai might be a talented dude, but whether or not he can be a winning player has not been determined yet.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
tmcatsrandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 1st, 2024, 6:59 pm

mbb is such a sewer on so many levels. goodness, i don't get people being upset so early in the drain. june 1st, if the pipe looks this empty, then i can understand. but now makes no sense to me. the whole nba declare or return deadline is ahead.
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 1st, 2024, 7:11 pm

tmcats wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 6:59 pm
mbb is such a sewer on so many levels. goodness, i don't get people being upset so early in the drain. june 1st, if the pipe looks this empty, then i can understand. but now makes no sense to me. the whole nba declare or return deadline is ahead.
The past two years, we went into the summer without a full squad, but each year ended up with 13 scholarship players. We may fill those 13 spots even faster this year.

Even as it stands right now, we have a pretty darn good-looking starting lineup...
1 -- Dug
2 -- Hausen
3 -- Jones
4 -- DNG
5 -- Fall

Coming off the bench... Castillo, Rich, and Manning

Hoping we can still get Battle (G), Miller (F), and another quality center. There are still a lot of good players in the portal if those guys commit somewhere else. In short, we are going to be fine.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85bhoovy
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » May 1st, 2024, 7:56 pm

learnin wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 4:19 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 8:42 am
Did the Tomlin episode cause behind the scenes discord that upset players enough for them to leave after contemplating their experience at Kansas State. There wasn't as much joy displayed this past year. I suppose the loss of Glover had a bearing on the decision guards made. These comments really are focused on Ames' family thinking Tang lied to them. These circumstances altered the plans Coach Tang had going into the season. These unknowns likely did alter the picture that was painted for Ames. If Ames can't understand that, then do we want him on the team?
Time and again, you keep dancing around this subject because you’re rightly concerned that Coach is not quite the exemplary, outstanding, player- loving man he led you to believe he was. You’re rightly perplexed that there has been a mass exodus
of players under this regime even though most posters were remarking, through the first year and much of the second, that young talent would be knocking the doors down to play for such a man.

You rightly had misgivings when you read it had been decided, by the top 3, that Tomlin was on a third strike and your out basis. You had been led to believe, like all of us, that Tomlin might be given another strike if not for the nasty president. When I commended you for daring to think out loud about being taken in by the purple couch, dancing with the students and pious rhetoric, you turned quickly and assured me you had no misgivings.

But, once again, I commend you for thinking out loud about what all other posters are thinking to themselves.

Despite the purple couch, dancing in the stands and a plethora of pious sentiments, our coach is like most coaches. He’s in it for himself and everything else comes second. One poster, in particular, picked up on this when he pointed out the uncaring sentiment displayed by the comment,

“We need dudes”

while a group of young men stood in the wings.

Before there are a thousand angry responses posted, please know something. I’m not piling on coaches who take care of themselves firstly as long as they follow the rules. This is a dirty business made even dirtier by the transfer portal and NIL. After all, most players are taking care of themselves firstly, no?
A coach is not going to be around long if they give deference to seniority over talent. This does not mean that coaches don’t care about their players, but here’s the rub and a couple of us tried to make the point.

Go easy with the pious platitudes. No one lives up to them. Don’t set up the purple couch or dance in the stands if you expect something in return. When asked about the possibility of leaving , don’t blame it on God. People soon see through the phoniness. Don’t let your beliefs lead to preposterous prophecies like,

“We’re going to the final four with or without you.”
“There will be a parade in Manhattan and soon.”

Was Dai Dai lied to? We won’t know the answer, but if a player was recruited with a final four carrot dangled before him, one has to wonder.
—Personal attack removed, per board rules -Jazz
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
randallcat85flatlander
EMAW

Section 12-2

Post by Section 12-2 » May 1st, 2024, 8:06 pm

I have yet to meet a coach who doesn't project a positive attitude towards the coming season. My guess is that most power conference coaches tell prospects that they are planning a deep run in the NCAA in the near future.
These users thanked the author Section 12-2 for the post (total 2):
randallcat85flatlander

Snyder

Post by Snyder » May 1st, 2024, 10:24 pm

Section 12-2 wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 8:06 pm
I have yet to meet a coach who doesn't project a positive attitude towards the coming season. My guess is that most power conference coaches tell prospects that they are planning a deep run in the NCAA in the near future.
I wouldn't want a loser mentality coaching my team. A whole bunch of pity parties and moral victories are not cool. Tang is such an upgrade in so many areas and the interest level of this program is incredible. Team Tang!!!

learnin

Post by learnin » May 2nd, 2024, 12:54 am

bigdeal wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm
Wow, just wow. I know it interferes with your narrative, but Coach Tang said, I believe it was last summer, he tells the kids it is his job to recruit guys who can take their place and it is their job to work and get better so that can't happen. I also believe a good number of the transfers since he has been here have been due to him being honest with kids about their future roles as he sees it, whether they like it or not. I think the transfers this year have mostly been guys being recruited over, which has always been life in high major programs, particularly with NIL and the open portal days. Nothing to see here about your unsubstantiated claims and, for some reason, vendetta to see Coach fail. Hopefully we have some more good recruiting news soon as the roster is rebuilt to do better than last year.
“he tells the kids it is his job to recruit guys who can take their place and it is their job to work and get better so that can't happen.”

Do you see the problem with this statement? Think about it for a few minutes, and then read my reply.

Here’s the problem. How do you recruit an experienced, talented ball player, who has already proven his worth at another school, unless you PROMISE him playing time? Do you suppose Arthur Kaluma, talented, proven and looking for a NBA contract, came to Manhattan without a promise of significant playing time? Do you suppose the heralded Dai Dai Ames came here without a sales pitch of sorts?

You have to remember, the game has changed significantly. There is no more sit out one year when you transfer. Dai Dai would have another whole year to prove his worth before the NIL babies can play if things had not changed. Juniors would have their senior year undisturbed by the new transfers. The above statement sounds great as it rolls off the tongue but, again, it is misleading. You can bet your life Dai Dai knows these Johnny come latelys came with promises.

What are these unsubstantiated claims you speak of?
I have evidence for any claim I’ve made.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 2nd, 2024, 1:14 am

Tbonespop wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 7:56 pm
learnin wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 4:19 pm

Time and again, you keep dancing around this subject because you’re rightly concerned that Coach is not quite the exemplary, outstanding, player- loving man he led you to believe he was. You’re rightly perplexed that there has been a mass exodus
of players under this regime even though most posters were remarking, through the first year and much of the second, that young talent would be knocking the doors down to play for such a man.

You rightly had misgivings when you read it had been decided, by the top 3, that Tomlin was on a third strike and your out basis. You had been led to believe, like all of us, that Tomlin might be given another strike if not for the nasty president. When I commended you for daring to think out loud about being taken in by the purple couch, dancing with the students and pious rhetoric, you turned quickly and assured me you had no misgivings.

But, once again, I commend you for thinking out loud about what all other posters are thinking to themselves.

Despite the purple couch, dancing in the stands and a plethora of pious sentiments, our coach is like most coaches. He’s in it for himself and everything else comes second. One poster, in particular, picked up on this when he pointed out the uncaring sentiment displayed by the comment,

“We need dudes”

while a group of young men stood in the wings.

Before there are a thousand angry responses posted, please know something. I’m not piling on coaches who take care of themselves firstly as long as they follow the rules. This is a dirty business made even dirtier by the transfer portal and NIL. After all, most players are taking care of themselves firstly, no?
A coach is not going to be around long if they give deference to seniority over talent. This does not mean that coaches don’t care about their players, but here’s the rub and a couple of us tried to make the point.

Go easy with the pious platitudes. No one lives up to them. Don’t set up the purple couch or dance in the stands if you expect something in return. When asked about the possibility of leaving , don’t blame it on God. People soon see through the phoniness. Don’t let your beliefs lead to preposterous prophecies like,

“We’re going to the final four with or without you.”
“There will be a parade in Manhattan and soon.”

Was Dai Dai lied to? We won’t know the answer, but if a player was recruited with a final four carrot dangled before him, one has to wonder.
Aw, shucks. I don’t think any poster should be removed for a personal attack on the president of the University. I don’t think any of the above posters should be removed for a personal attack by insinuating Dai Dai left because he fell under the spell of his agent.

Wait a minute……..you’re suggesting I personally attacked SCKSCat. Not so. I thanked him for thinking out loud about the things every fan is thinking to themselves. I commended him for questioning and being discomforted by the mass exodus of good ball players. I assure you this was not an attack but gratitude for a poster who struggles with good players leaving and, a while back, the newspaper article that provided us with details about the Tomlin affair. He may not appreciate my gratitude, but I gave it.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 2nd, 2024, 5:30 am

learnin wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 1:14 am
Tbonespop wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 7:56 pm

Aw, shucks. I don’t think any poster should be removed for a personal attack on the president of the University. I don’t think any of the above posters should be removed for a personal attack by insinuating Dai Dai left because he fell under the spell of his agent.

Wait a minute……..you’re suggesting I personally attacked SCKSCat. Not so. I thanked him for thinking out loud about the things every fan is thinking to themselves. I commended him for questioning and being discomforted by the mass exodus of good ball players. I assure you this was not an attack but gratitude for a poster who struggles with good players leaving and, a while back, the newspaper article that provided us with details about the Tomlin affair. He may not appreciate my gratitude, but I gave it.
I was not attacked. I enjoyed reading a viewpoint and outlook that varies from mine. Adversity can breed disharmony amongst a group of people. I think this fan base after the first year had a misconception about what lay ahead. Our expectations for doing well, getting to the final four, getting a national championship and a parade through Aggieville and a couple of alleys is great. Having a coach and staff who believes that is great. Having men and women who are Christian believers lead the program is wonderful. But I think we thought naively that every year would be like the first one. Well .... every dang program is fighting for the same thing and success is not going happen easy. It is a dog eat dog fight. People are going to have to rethink how things are done. I hope we never get to the point where this program treats players like meat that is consumed and the bones thrown out for jackals to pick over. I have been bemoaning about not getting players. I am sure I don't understand how it may be limiting to get the right players that fit the culture. I am just wanting a fun team to watch that plays sound basketball and beats Iowa State and KU.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » May 2nd, 2024, 6:44 am

Please, this is not complicated.
1. Coaches are treating players in their program better than they ever have. They have no choice.
Guys who abuse their players like Greg Marshall used to will struggle with unlimited transfer.
2. Coaches are going to use the resources they have to sign the very best roster they can. Resources include NIL, playing time, development, fan engagement, chances of winning, etc.
Any coach that does not will not be successful.
3. Players are going to look for the best situation for them and their family. That means NIL, playing time, etc, etc. Best situation may not be their current school.
4. Their will be lots of player movement as players seek the best opportunity.
5. We are lucky to have a staff who is able to get into conversations with the best players.

Fans can either
1. Enjoy the pursuit of better players and how we fill the roster.
2. Hate the entire process and check out from enjoying college basketball.
3. Relax and see what happens in roster construction and then follow the wins and losses like they normally do.

Funny how lots of fans are actively rooting for some players to transfer out but whine and moan when others transfer. Why did we not have such an outcry when Finister left?
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
SCKSCatstlcatfan