Pick 'Em

RJ Jones - GONE

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 24th, 2024, 6:10 pm

This Sucks
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
randallcat85katlander

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 24th, 2024, 6:19 pm

Ya, just saw that. Sure does suck, he was a good one that we wanted to keep. Wonder what his reasoning was for leaving.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
randallcat85
EMAW

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 24th, 2024, 6:49 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:19 pm
Ya, just saw that. Sure does suck, he was a good one that we wanted to keep. Wonder what his reasoning was for leaving.
We’ve already brought in two guards and are actively recruiting two more, which many think we’re the favorite for both. I think he sees limited minutes again next year because they aren’t recruiting these portal guys to just play a few minutes off the bench.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2024, 6:49 pm

Yep. Came out this morning. As I mentioned in the portal thread, losing Jones bums me out more than losing Kaluma. It's not surprising, though, considering all of the guards we have been recruiting. Maybe the staff already knew that RJ was not coming back.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 24th, 2024, 7:18 pm

buying others' players good, them buying ours bad. :roll:
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 24th, 2024, 8:04 pm

bhoovy wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:49 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:19 pm
We’ve already brought in two guards and are actively recruiting two more, which many think we’re the favorite for both. I think he sees limited minutes again next year because they aren’t recruiting these portal guys to just play a few minutes off the bench.
And there goes the process of getting quality kids out of high school, working to develop them, maintaining a foundation for the program year to year while trying to fill in gaps with transfers. Its like a hybrid of AAU ball + NBA free agency with zero rules or salary cap. This is what college sports has become and its horrible. Congrats to those who wanted to pay players, you got what you wanted and here it is.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 5):
stlcatfanWildcatEngineerlearninkatlanderbigpurpleman
EMAW

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 24th, 2024, 9:24 pm

Jones was supposed to be a 3 point bucket getter. Instant offense.
Last year he was shooting 3s at around a 25% rate.
He didn't fulfill his role. He often would turn the ball over.
We recently brought in the Amarillo Assassin and I am sure Jones saw the writing on the wall.
Hausen will be his replacement I predict.
And it does suck when we lose a player to the portal.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 24th, 2024, 9:30 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:04 pm
bhoovy wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:49 pm

And there goes the process of getting quality kids out of high school, working to develop them, maintaining a foundation for the program year to year while trying to fill in gaps with transfers. Its like a hybrid of AAU ball + NBA free agency with zero rules or salary cap. This is what college sports has become and its horrible. Congrats to those who wanted to pay players, you got what you wanted and here it is.
Yep exactly. Getting the burger boys isn’t nearly as big a deal as it used to be. And having coaches with an eye for talent isn’t near as valuable either. You just wait until the end of the year and for the portal to fill up and then pick off the low major players who proved they were over looked and the players on high major teams who didn’t feel they were getting minutes they deserved that are better than what you currently have.

I’m wondering if having to pay for what’s considered the top coaches will be necessary anymore. If you can just use your collectives NIL to buy the best players and you can do like coach Cal did with the 5 star frosh. He’s not a great X and O coach but the talent was able to make up for deficiencies.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 24th, 2024, 11:34 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 9:24 pm
Jones was supposed to be a 3 point bucket getter. Instant offense.
Last year he was shooting 3s at around a 25% rate.
He didn't fulfill his role. He often would turn the ball over.
We recently brought in the Amarillo Assassin and I am sure Jones saw the writing on the wall.
Hausen will be his replacement I predict.
And it does suck when we lose a player to the portal.
He was a true freshman. He blossom into a sharp shooter who could have played for us 3 more years. Now, we will never know what it would have been like long term for him at KSU. Will be good to follow his career.
EMAW

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 25th, 2024, 7:49 am

Why would you jump in the portal if no one has been picked up that threatened your job?
Did Tang have an Ish talk with RJ?
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85