Big XII In Mexico

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Big XII In Mexico

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 17th, 2024, 8:31 am

https://big12sports.com/news/2023/6/7/b ... exico.aspx

I do not recall a separate thread discussing the Big XII's relationship with Mexico and starting to play games in Mexico.

If this is just an attempt to develop vacation locations in Mexico, I am not overwhelmed with it.

If it is a SERIOUS attempt to improve ACADEMICs in the Universities and exchange students, I think it is great.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 17th, 2024, 9:02 am

Well, a lot of it, I believe, is NIL related. Foreign players are on student visas when attending college in the US and therefore are not allowed to receive NIL money. If you go to Mexico, have David N'Guessan do a quick appearance with some Cat fans at a restaurant in Mexico and he can get paid for that, but he can't get NIL money in the USA currently. The Wildcat NIL cannot provide David with money directly like they can the American players, so you have to find other ways to pay the foreign guys. For David in particular, you could set something up with a business in the Netherlands and fund the money to David that way, or pay him when the team plays a game out of the country, like in Mexico for example.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
WildcatEngineer

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 17th, 2024, 9:34 am

Gorhoops wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 9:02 am
Well, a lot of it, I believe, is NIL related. Foreign players are on student visas when attending college in the US and therefore are not allowed to receive NIL money. If you go to Mexico, have David N'Guessan do a quick appearance with some Cat fans at a restaurant in Mexico and he can get paid for that, but he can't get NIL money in the USA currently. The Wildcat NIL cannot provide David with money directly like they can the American players, so you have to find other ways to pay the foreign guys. For David in particular, you could set something up with a business in the Netherlands and fund the money to David that way, or pay him when the team plays a game out of the country, like in Mexico for example.
So David can't even be in a commercial for a local company and get paid for it?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 17th, 2024, 9:59 am

stlcatfan wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 9:34 am
Gorhoops wrote:
So David can't even be in a commercial for a local company and get paid for it?

I don't believe so, if I understand it right. They would have to set something up in the Netherlands and then pay his family for it. That is how I understood it when I heard someone talking about KU playing in Mexico and that would be a way to get Furphy money because if you are on a student visa you cannot accept NIL money. I know Edey from Purdue mentioned it during the Final 4 as well.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
stlcatfan

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 17th, 2024, 11:00 am

Gorhoops wrote:
Gor, thank you, I never connected those dots.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2024, 11:02 am

for me the mexico strategy always seemed to carry a bit of the platte river syndrome: a mile wide and an inch deep.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 18th, 2024, 1:51 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 11:02 am
for me the mexico strategy always seemed to carry a bit of the platte river syndrome: a mile wide and an inch deep.
Why do we court Mexico? I would be scared to death to go anywhere in Mexico.
Thank you kindly no, I want to keep my money and life.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 18th, 2024, 2:00 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 11:02 am
I think Yormark is just coming up with ways to market the Big 12 beyond its current Midwest/Texas footprint. It is also a way of bringing more money to the Big 12, which will be important as the Big Ten and SEC create more distance from us and the other conferences, money-wise.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln