Who will be the new Kentucky basketball coach

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Who will be the new Kentucky basketball coach

Post by SCKSCat » April 7th, 2024, 11:08 pm

They will probably go hard at Scott Drew, Baylor, or Tommy Lloyd at Arizona.
I suppose some Kentuckians are wanting Pitino.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 7th, 2024, 11:46 pm

@247Chrishoops
A source in Lexington believes Iowa States head coach TJ Otzelberger will be among the top candidates to replace Calipari.

Otz is responsible for one of the best recent rebuilds in college basketball. The source says Mitch Barnhart is looking for a coach who “Builds culture”.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 8th, 2024, 12:07 am

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2024/4 ... arl-hurley
Drew and Otzelberger are on this list for Kentucky job.
If drew leaves Baylor, will they come for Tang?
I would not like to see the Iowa State basketball program ripped apart.
The movement of coaches has mind blowing.

Catalum

Post by Catalum » April 8th, 2024, 6:23 am

That was my first thought.....Drew to Kentucky then Baylor targeting Tang. However, I just don't see Kentucky being a fit for Scott Drew, but may be wrong.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post:
SCKSCat

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 8th, 2024, 7:29 am

From CBS article about names of replacements.

Scott Drew, Baylor coach
Drew is a logical choice for the Kentucky job because of his friendship with Barnhart. Another reason why Drew makes sense is because he's a program builder. He inherited a Baylor program that was on the verge of the death penalty and built it into a national champion nearly two decades later. Drew is an excellent recruiter and developer of talent. He's 446-244 at Baylor and won two Big 12 regular season titles since 2021 - the year Baylor went 28-2 and won the NCAA Tournament. If it is Drew, then another bull rush for Tang. Kentucky AD and Drew are friends.

Billy Donovan, Chicago Bulls coach
The last coach to lead a team to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments has been coaching in the NBA since taking the Oklahoma City Thunder job in 2015. Could this be the year Donovan returns to the college game? The Bulls are on track to miss the playoffs for the third time in the last four seasons under Donovan's watch, and with the organization potentially at a crossroads between rebuilding and competing, this would be the perfect time to explore his options. Donovan started his coaching career as an assistant at Kentucky in 1989 and spent five years with the program before taking the job at Marshall. Donovan is 502-206 as a college head coach at Florida and Marshall.

Dan Hurley, UConn coach
While it seems unlikely that Hurley would leave his post at UConn, you at least make the call if you're Kentucky. Hurley has built UConn into a juggernaut and will coach in his second consecutive national championship game on Monday night in Phoenix. He is one of the more chasmic coaches in the sport and has a track record of recruiting and developing talent. Hurley is 291-163 as a coach at Wagner, Rhode Island and UConn. The Huskies finished the 202-23 season with a 31-8 record and head into the title game with a 36-3 mark.

Sean Miller, Xavier coach
The former Arizona coach is on his second stint as the head of the Xavier program. After spending time as an assistant coach at Miami (Ohio), Pittsburgh, NC State, and Xavier, Miller was elevated to lead the Musketeers in 2004. He spent five seasons in his first stint at Xavier before guiding Arizona to three Elite Eight appearances in his 12 years with the program. After the Wildcats fired Miller in 2021, and he took a year off from coaching, Xavier hired him once again to lead the program. Miller is 465-184 as a coach.

Rick Pitino, St. John's coach
Pitino has had many stops over his long coaching career. One of those stops was as the coach of Kentucky from 1989-97. After coaching two seasons in the NBA for the New York Knicks, Pitino accepted the Kentucky job and went 219-50 at the school, which included a national championship in 1996 and three Final Four appearances. Pitino has a 731-303 record as a college coach and is coming off his inaugural season leading St. John's. Pitino is one of the great personalities in the sport that would help unite the Kentucky fan base.

Mark Pope, BYU coach
Pope played at Kentucky from 1994-96 and was on Kentucky's 1996 national championship team, playing a role at bringing home the program's sixth national title. As a coach, Pope has seen a steady rise since starting his coaching career as an assistant coach at Georgia in 2010. After stints as an assistant coach at Georgia, Wake Forest, and BYU, he landed the Utah Valley job in 2015. After spending four seasons in the WAC, Pope was hired by BYU. Pope has guided BYU to two NCAA Tournament appearances and finished the 2023-24 season with a 23-11 record in its first season as a member of the Big 12.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 8th, 2024, 7:32 am

Baylor is probably the one place I could see that would pull on Tangs heart strings, since they gave him his start in college basketball and all the history he has with them. But I just don’t see Drew leaving for Kentucky. He built Baylor. And he’s also a man motivated by things other than money. TJ seems like a odd pick, but if he’s offered I could see him going. From South Dakota St to UNLV to ISU. But you better know what you’re getting into there.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 8th, 2024, 8:05 am

Some names I guess I would have expected and not necessarily in this order:

1. Beard - he may have said no to Arkansas, but I beat he would say yes to Kentucky. He would be pretty scary at Kentucky, IMO.

2. Hurley - how is the UConn job compared to Kentucky? It’s better right now but how does all the realign factor in?

3. Oates - what he’s done at Bama, a football school, in a short time is pretty impressive.

4. Lloyd - but which Wildcat program is considered better?

5. Altman - I think he’s pretty well solidified himself at Oregon in nearly the same way as Self at ku, so I don’t see him leaving, but do you make him say no?

6. Sampson - you don’t have to like the man but it’s hard to argue he creates winners.

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » April 8th, 2024, 8:40 am

Catalum wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 6:23 am
That was my first thought.....Drew to Kentucky then Baylor targeting Tang. However, I just don't see Kentucky being a fit for Scott Drew, but may be wrong.
My thoughts exactly.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 8th, 2024, 8:50 am

.........................................JAY WRIGHT

Kentucky will make an offer Mr Wright cannot refuse.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 8th, 2024, 10:17 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 8:50 am
.........................................JAY WRIGHT

Kentucky will make an offer Mr Wright cannot refuse.
I thought of his same as well but just don’t think so. He’s another one I just don’t believe money is everything and bedsides, he’s set financially anyway. If he came back I would be surprised.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
randallcat85