Getting into the NBA draft and UDA

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Getting into the NBA draft and UDA

Post by SCKSCat » April 6th, 2024, 10:54 am

So few slots for so many who want to be in the NBA.
Getting drafted is one way or signing a 2 way or a G League contract is another.
I don't understand why players like Grady Dick goes as a lottery pick over someone like Keyontae Johnson. Or why NBA personnel analysts are having orgasms over Johny Furphy.
I am particularly interested this year in watching how this plays out for Arthur and Nae'Qwan. I think Kaluma would benefit from another year in College but the NBA may think he is too old.
Tomlin seems to be headed for being undrafted but gets some kind of contract from an NBA team. I wonder if he has the work ethic to get in the gym and make himself better.

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 6th, 2024, 11:15 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 10:54 am
Getting drafted is one way or signing a 2 way or a G League contract is another.
I don't understand why players like Grady Dick goes as a lottery pick over someone like Keyontae Johnson. Or why NBA personnel analysts are having orgasms over Johny Furphy.
I am particularly interested this year in watching how this plays out for Arthur and Nae'Qwan. I think Kaluma would benefit from another year in College but the NBA may think he is too old.
Tomlin seems to be headed for being undrafted but gets some kind of contract from an NBA team. I wonder if he has the work ethic to get in the gym and make himself better.
It's a mystery to me as well on some of the choices NBA Teams make in the draft and signing free agents. They value height almost exclusively, so I wasn't surprised that Dean Wade was able to finally make it to the Cavs full time roster and actually make a contribution in their team winning.

I hope that Kaluma returns as well, and I too believe he'd be better off waiting a year & coming from an NCAA Tourney team, before being drafted.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
stlcatfan

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 7th, 2024, 11:31 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:15 am
SCKSCat wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 10:54 am
It's a mystery to me as well on some of the choices NBA Teams make in the draft and signing free agents. They value height almost exclusively, so I wasn't surprised that Dean Wade was able to finally make it to the Cavs full time roster and actually make a contribution in their team winning.

I hope that Kaluma returns as well, and I too believe he'd be better off waiting a year & coming from an NCAA Tourney team, before being drafted.
Height is important but certainly not exclusive. The average height of most NBA players is actually decreasing. Shooting, wingspan, good feet and willingness to guard, injury history, explosiveness, and vertical jump is graded pretty hard. It’s a combination of a lot of tools that go into their draft and rankings of NBA caliber players.