Decommitters 2024

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Decommitters 2024

Post by SCKSCat » April 4th, 2024, 5:15 pm

With the movements of coaches there a some good players asking for a release from their National Letters of Intent. Might be worth it for staff to explore.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 4th, 2024, 6:05 pm

Conceptually yes, but the whole thought process is somewhat of an oxymoron.....Us thinking we should go after some players to get commitments from them who are committed to a different school, but want out of their commitment. I guess in a modern society where the divorce rate is +50%, we shouldn't expect kids to be committed to anything.....I digress
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
stlcatfan
EMAW

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » April 4th, 2024, 7:06 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:05 pm
Conceptually yes, but the whole thought process is somewhat of an oxymoron.....Us thinking we should go after some players to get commitments from them who are committed to a different school, but want out of their commitment. I guess in a modern society where the divorce rate is +50%, we shouldn't expect kids to be committed to anything.....I digress
I understand exactly what you mean Tbones but if we are talking in the instance of a coach leaving, that is one of the few reasons I am ok with a decommit / transfer without sitting a year. Other being graduate transfer. Rest imo should have to sit a year, but NO now we have players searching for the highest $ every fricking year. Can't say I didn't expect exactly this with NIL and unlimited transfers. They may figure out its not a good idea - after it's too late....
These users thanked the author DeereCatFan for the post (total 6):
catalystSCKSCatstlcatfanrandallcat85Tbonespoptmcats

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 4th, 2024, 7:33 pm

DeereCatFan wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 7:06 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:05 pm
I understand exactly what you mean Tbones but if we are talking in the instance of a coach leaving, that is one of the few reasons I am ok with a decommit / transfer without sitting a year. Other being graduate transfer. Rest imo should have to sit a year, but NO now we have players searching for the highest $ every fricking year. Can't say I didn't expect exactly this with NIL and unlimited transfers. They may figure out its not a good idea - after it's too late....
The conspiracy theorist side of me wonders if this descent into chaos with "anything goes" NIL and the unlimited transfer portal wasn't done on purpose in order to bring about a new system (e.g., making players unionized, salaried employees of the university with contracts) that would have been fought against by traditional college sports fans under normal circumstances. But now those same fans will accept anything to bring about order out of the chaos. This current setup is just not sustainable.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85Tbonespop
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 5th, 2024, 10:28 am

Aren't we now just waiting for the next progression of unlimited transfers when someone like Hunter Dickinson goes down in mid season and Bill Self just calls a kid that is playing for Drexel and offers his some cash to transfer over and finish the season? Maybe there are rules against that but I haven't really seen any rules so I assume not.
These users thanked the author bigdeal for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 5th, 2024, 10:38 am

no, i believe we will soon see a pro model as already proposed by the cst group. players will go to school under contract on paid scholarships with salaries which will be standardized.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 6th, 2024, 11:43 am

Isaiah Elohim who committed to Arkansas is now requesting release from his NLI now that Musselman left. We pursued this kid for awhile. He will be a freshman next year and came from California. He a 6-5 guard. I wonder if we pursue him.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 6th, 2024, 12:41 pm

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/arkans ... -of-intent

Arkansas basketball signee Jalen Shelley has requested a release from his letter of intent from the Razorbacks, according to a report from Joe Tipton on Saturday.

A four-star prospect out of Missouri, Shelley held offers from Houston, Kansas State, Tennessee and Texas, among others. Ranked as the No. 47 recruit nationally on Rivals, the 6-foot-8 wing displayed a versatile skillset and ability to knock down shots from the perimeter. Shelley signed his letter of intent with Arkansas on November 8th, 2023.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 6th, 2024, 12:51 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 12:41 pm
https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/arkans ... -of-intent

Arkansas basketball signee Jalen Shelley has requested a release from his letter of intent from the Razorbacks, according to a report from Joe Tipton on Saturday.

A four-star prospect out of Missouri, Shelley held offers from Houston, Kansas State, Tennessee and Texas, among others. Ranked as the No. 47 recruit nationally on Rivals, the 6-foot-8 wing displayed a versatile skillset and ability to knock down shots from the perimeter. Shelley signed his letter of intent with Arkansas on November 8th, 2023.
A 4-star, 6'8 wing. I hope he gives us another look.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 6th, 2024, 6:38 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 10:38 am
no, i believe we will soon see a pro model as already proposed by the cst group. players will go to school under contract on paid scholarships with salaries which will be standardized.
So what happens if the Athletic Department cannot afford the standard salary? ie Arizona?

In 2024 if part of my tuition and fees as a normal student were going to support an Athletic Department that was not financially stable, I would say some naughty words about that situation.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85