Arkansas

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Re: Arkansas

Post by SCKSCat » April 6th, 2024, 9:40 am

wild@nite wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 9:05 am
Can't blame Tang for listening, especially "if" he doesn't care for Linton. This may have been solely to make Linton sweat a little, because his butt would have been under extreme pressure if Tang left. Tang never spoke ill of Linton, but I believe this was his play instead. He knew what he was doing, and don't believe he was serious about taking the Arky job. This is my personal opinion, anyway.
The things I am reading was he was ready to take the Arkansas job. Until AD Gene Taylor stepped in. IMO opinion the bond between these men was what saved the day. There is a strong affection between Taylor and Tang. Likewise Taylor has with the other coaches. We forget the Linton affair severely undermined Gene Taylor. Thank goodness he didn't tell his bosses to shove it up.their wazzoo.and quit.
I.hope Coach Tang can start having unbridled fun and joy again. .If you look at his pictures recently he looks like he aged 5 years.
Now he can have a big steak and beverage with Coach Jareem after Poral Wars are over fo this year.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 6th, 2024, 10:19 am

This process has definitely shown the value and skill of Gene Taylor. I sure as hell hope Linton learned something in this, because obviously he is behind the curve when it comes to strategy (which leads me to believe he's either 1) not all that sharp (doubtful) or 2) his ego and emotions control his behavior. There is a chain of command that needs to be followed when it comes to situations such as the Tomlin deal. You follow that chain of command and handle things behind closed doors. You don't air dirty laundry publicly, ever. And most importantly from a strategy standpoint and why you always follow the chain of command: if a SR leadership person has to step into a situation like the Tomlin deal (which on the surface wasn't that big of an issue), its a no-win situation for the SR leader. 1) It appears he's a micromanager and can't lead his people effectively without micromanagement or 2) He wasn't good at hiring / managing his people and didn't trust them to execute what he wanted done. Both scenarios are not good for Linton and that's why you follow the chain of command. Does anyone here honestly believe Tang and Taylor weren't fully capable of handling this situation on their own? That's ludicrous. Fortunately, this has all played out well for KSU because Taylor and Tang are great leaders and great people. I'm grateful for both. Linton, on the other hand...
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
stlcatfan
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 6th, 2024, 10:29 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 9:40 am
wild@nite wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 9:05 am
Can't blame Tang for listening, especially "if" he doesn't care for Linton. This may have been solely to make Linton sweat a little, because his butt would have been under extreme pressure if Tang left. Tang never spoke ill of Linton, but I believe this was his play instead. He knew what he was doing, and don't believe he was serious about taking the Arky job. This is my personal opinion, anyway.
I.hope Coach Tang can start having unbridled fun and joy again. .If you look at his pictures recently he looks like he aged 5 years.
Now he can have a big steak and beverage with Coach Jareem after Poral Wars are over fo this year.
It's interesting that you mentioned this because I was thinking something similar when I saw his picture with Dug. Being the head coach of a major college program naturally comes with stress and I'm sure he is under a lot of pressure right now to find, not just dudes, but the right dudes to bring success back to the program. I have no doubt that the way the Tomlin affair was handled is still bothering him.

I also hope Coach Tang doesn't take social media posts too seriously. There are a lot of idiots out there, including fans from other schools who pretend to be K-State fans, posting some really vile and cruel things on different platforms. I'm still surprised he gave out his phone number to all of the K-State students in case they needed anything. It was a nice gesture, but it also opens you up to a lot of bad actors.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
ksudenny
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 6th, 2024, 10:44 am

my first takeaway is that making this all about president linton is pretty frightening. the talking heads have completely infiltrated and corrupted the adult ego states of so many k-state fans. it's disheartening as hell to see that happen. these are the same people who said taylor, tang and klieman would all be gone by now. good grief.

second is the value of the balance sheet. people here and elsewhere moan on and on about k-state not having a softball program. well, i submit there wouldn't have been enough money yesterday to keep tang if k-state had an expanded sports ledger, like arkansas, arizona or ucla in that way. kudos to gene taylor for staying the course and investing in football, the two basketball programs, baseball, and managing the rest as appropriate. otherwise, we'd be arguing about hiring bryce drew, kim english, or brad underwood (sorry, fitz) today.

and finally, i don't blame coach tang for taking a look. but i would have been incredibly disappointed had he left. k-state should never be a stepping stone program. jack hartman, chris klieman, and before him, bill snyder, now coach tang show why that's just a false narrative today.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
WildcatEngineer
Why is there something rather than nothing?

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » April 6th, 2024, 12:12 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 10:19 am
This process has definitely shown the value and skill of Gene Taylor. I sure as hell hope Linton learned something in this, because obviously he is behind the curve when it comes to strategy (which leads me to believe he's either 1) not all that sharp (doubtful) or 2) his ego and emotions control his behavior. There is a chain of command that needs to be followed when it comes to situations such as the Tomlin deal. You follow that chain of command and handle things behind closed doors. You don't air dirty laundry publicly, ever. And most importantly from a strategy standpoint and why you always follow the chain of command: if a SR leadership person has to step into a situation like the Tomlin deal (which on the surface wasn't that big of an issue), its a no-win situation for the SR leader. 1) It appears he's a micromanager and can't lead his people effectively without micromanagement or 2) He wasn't good at hiring / managing his people and didn't trust them to execute what he wanted done. Both scenarios are not good for Linton and that's why you follow the chain of command. Does anyone here honestly believe Tang and Taylor weren't fully capable of handling this situation on their own? That's ludicrous. Fortunately, this has all played out well for KSU because Taylor and Tang are great leaders and great people. I'm grateful for both. Linton, on the other hand...
Where is that smilie about beating a dead horse? You may know something about coaching basketball, but what is your experience running a university and dealing with student conduct issues at the all-university level? It is not likely that anyone is going to know the facts in this situation because of confidentiality concerning a student issue. Your argument ignores the fact that Tomlin was also a student at K-State subject to the rules and regulations applied equally to all students, including student athletes.

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 6th, 2024, 12:22 pm

purpleprairiecat wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 12:12 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
Where is that smilie about beating a dead horse? You may know something about coaching basketball, but what is your experience running a university and dealing with student conduct issues at the all-university level? It is not likely that anyone is going to know the facts in this situation because of confidentiality concerning a student issue. Your argument ignores the fact that Tomlin was also a student at K-State subject to the rules and regulations applied equally to all students, including student athletes.
Here it is... :beathorse:
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
purpleprairiecat

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 6th, 2024, 3:16 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Marshall

Swerve this a little, is Gregg Marshall so tainted that no one will touch him? I saw his name brought up on some fan tweets, but I have not seen his name noted by a serious source.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » April 6th, 2024, 4:23 pm

We'll never know, but I don't think the Prez got involved in the Tomlin affair because his ego led him to intervene. I think he got involved because it was justified for legal reasons. JMHO.

Time to let that whole raft of problems wash down the river and celebrate.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 6th, 2024, 5:09 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 3:16 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Marshall

Swerve this a little, is Gregg Marshall so tainted that no one will touch him? I saw his name brought up on some fan tweets, but I have not seen his name noted by a serious source.
I too was wondering when or if Marshall’s name may start to pop up for openings. I think the thing with him is that with his actions and behavior there was more verifiable accusations. More individuals actually heard and seen his behavior that was unbecoming of a HC or any in a position of authority. But also there’s another person involved in hiring Gregg that presents other issues. I think the pair may present more than many may want to deal with and so far that any potential opening has wanted to deal with.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 6th, 2024, 5:34 pm

purpleprairiecat wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 12:12 pm
Tbonespop wrote:

I know a hellava lot about running a business, managing, and leading people. Been doing that for a few decades now outside of coaching in the past. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle situations. The fact that its still being kicked around indicates this wasn't handled well. Hopefully Linton learned something from the process. Time will tell if he has or not.
EMAW