COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

Re: Portal 2024

Post by Gorhoops » May 3rd, 2024, 2:23 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 1:48 pm
bhoovy wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 1:34 pm

I’d take Toppin even if they got Omoruyi. He’s very talented. Pretty smooth in the way he plays. But yes, would sure like to get at least one of the two.
I would take Toppin before or instead of Omoruyi. I do not really care if we get him or not.

I am more interested in who they replace Kaluma with.

The answer to who replaces Kaluma "should" be Taj Manning. Manning has been in the program for two years, so he is the same age as Kaluma was when he came in last year. He was a solid recruit with offers from Creighton, Wake Forest, Xavier, among others. Tang said he had talent to be all conference. At this point, Manning should be ready to take a big step forward and grab a role as either a starter or a main rotation piece. He is about the same size as Kaluma, actually a big heavier. In my opinion, it is time for him to take a step forward.

Obviously we will probably get a portal guy, but doggone it, at some point a guy like Manning has to poopoo or get off the pot.

Buddy should also be ready to go at that position, although he is a different kind of player, not as perimeter oriented as Kaluma but his energy and athleticism should have him getting minutes at the power wing position.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » May 3rd, 2024, 3:52 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 2:23 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 1:48 pm

I would take Toppin before or instead of Omoruyi. I do not really care if we get him or not.

I am more interested in who they replace Kaluma with.

The answer to who replaces Kaluma "should" be Taj Manning. Manning has been in the program for two years, so he is the same age as Kaluma was when he came in last year. He was a solid recruit with offers from Creighton, Wake Forest, Xavier, among others. Tang said he had talent to be all conference. At this point, Manning should be ready to take a big step forward and grab a role as either a starter or a main rotation piece. He is about the same size as Kaluma, actually a big heavier. In my opinion, it is time for him to take a step forward.

Obviously we will probably get a portal guy, but doggone it, at some point a guy like Manning has to poopoo or get off the pot.

Buddy should also be ready to go at that position, although he is a different kind of player, not as perimeter oriented as Kaluma but his energy and athleticism should have him getting minutes at the power wing position.
Taj either plays early this season or he is the guy at the end of the bench.

Buddy might develop a perimeter game. He shot about 35% in high school and probably did not practice them0 much. He practiced threes a lot in warm ups last year and made about as many as Jones. We will see if that part of his game develops.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
randallcat85

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 3rd, 2024, 5:33 pm

I really like Rich and have looked forward to seeing him become a great player for us. I hope he stays and plays this year. Just put the guy in and let him do his thing, Fouls are the biggest concern. I think we should dance with the ones who stuck around. Now is not the time to win the league. Now is the time to walk before you run. Don't follow the pack into the dumpster fire of the NIL. Stand on character. Maybe then we will be blessed by the higher power.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 3rd, 2024, 5:43 pm

We are in Omoruyi's final four. Will announce Sunday.
I honestly am tired of this drama.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 3rd, 2024, 6:39 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 5:43 pm
Glad to hear that we made Omoruyi's final four. In regards to being tired of the drama, I think things are actually moving much faster than they did last season. I believe Perry was our first commit out of the portal last year and he committed on May 2 of last year. Today is May 3 and we have four commits so far. But I get what you are saying. I know Coach wants to wrap things up sooner than later, but this process could drag on through the summer months.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » May 3rd, 2024, 6:43 pm

I am pleasantly surprised Buddy is still here. He has a lot of upside and was probably robbed of minutes he should've got last year. Thought he'd be the first to transfer at seasons end and Ames would be the one to stick around. Just never know with this game any more. Hoping Buddy get real quality minutes this year.
These users thanked the author Wyldkatz for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 3rd, 2024, 6:54 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 6:39 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
Glad to hear that we made Omoruyi's final four. In regards to being tired of the drama, I think things are actually moving much faster than they did last season. I believe Perry was our first commit out of the portal last year and he committed on May 2 of last year. Today is May 3 and we have four commits so far. But I get what you are saying. I know Coach wants to wrap things up sooner than later, but this process could drag on through the summer months.
I don't mean the process, just the time to recruit Omoruyi. I suppose it is good he is methodical process in making such an important decision. He is a very bright young man. I was surprised that he did not make a decision after the visit to Alabama and UNC.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 3rd, 2024, 7:12 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 6:39 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
Yep. A watched pot never boils. Seems like it is taking forever but there is a lot of time.
McNair seemed to be a last-ditch effort late in the year and grew into a pretty darned good player. Too bad so many young players do not give themselves time to grow and learn and for the team to grow as a unit. Our current system does not support a more long term and team oriented approach.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 3rd, 2024, 9:13 pm

UNC Wilmington transfer Trazerian White tells me that he will take the following visits:

Texas Tech (Today and Saturday)
TCU (Sunday and Monday)
Mississippi State (Thursday and Friday)

White may also visit Kansas State on May 12-14.

He’s 6’7 200. Had 28 and 5 vs Arkansas and 27 and 10 vs Kentucky. He’s not a 3 point shooter averaging maybe one a game.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 3rd, 2024, 9:33 pm

bhoovy wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 9:13 pm
UNC Wilmington transfer Trazerian White tells me that he will take the following visits:

Texas Tech (Today and Saturday)
TCU (Sunday and Monday)
Mississippi State (Thursday and Friday)

White may also visit Kansas State on May 12-14.

He’s 6’7 200. Had 28 and 5 vs Arkansas and 27 and 10 vs Kentucky. He’s not a 3 point shooter averaging maybe one a game.
I looked for more information about him. He averaged just under 20 points and 7 rebounds per game. :thumbsup:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... rien-white
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca