Portal 2024

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: Portal 2024

Post by katlander » April 22nd, 2024, 10:22 pm

Its whack. Why are they dismantling a successful system? Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 22nd, 2024, 10:43 pm

katlander wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 10:22 pm
Its whack. Why are they dismantling a successful system? Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
Greed. :bow: $$$
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 22nd, 2024, 11:05 pm

I l8ke all of this better than the good old days of 5 years ago.when a program like K State never had much chance at doing well in post season, but now we have a chance to build decent rosters.
To me college basketball for K-State had become agonizing and futile in the spring after every season. Schools were spending money under the table to snatch up the besst spring recruits and transfers. We got very little good news. The big spring news the announcement of summer camps.and pay increases for the coach.
Well we.are at least competing for talent, and not being laughed at as NIl and the transfer portal has given this program hope.
Change is needed to stop the madness from spiraling out of control. But I am not ready to fully abandon this new paradigm.

learnin

Post by learnin » April 22nd, 2024, 11:51 pm

I liked supporting the under dog against the blue blood cheaters. What is a blue blood if not they who dared to cheat the system and create monopoly? I’ll take a Dean, Barry, Kam and Xavier winning a championship and whipping Kentucky over a bought championship any day.
These users thanked the author learnin for the post (total 4):
PuffdadKralicekstlcatfanrandallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 23rd, 2024, 3:51 am

learnin wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 11:51 pm
I liked supporting the under dog against the blue blood cheaters. What is a blue blood if not they who dared to cheat the system and create monopoly? I’ll take a Dean, Barry, Kam and Xavier winning a championship and whipping Kentucky over a bought championship any day.
It is still about the art of finding value where others don't, and maximizing that value by developing its potential and properly utilizing the value. In layman's parlance finding a player who is a diamond in the rough and developing it and/or assembling players with specific skills and assembling the aggregate pieces into a team.

So applied in todays college basketball it is finding good HS recruits or young transfers that can be developed in a few years and getting players from the portal that fill out the needs so you can have a complete and functional team.

The blue bloods have more NIL money and are going to be in a position to buy the best talent, but accumulating the very best talent doesn't seem to work, example Calipari.

UConn likely will be the model to follow. I heard Hurley say he likes to recruit players with potential to be NBA caliber players who he can develop and that are a good fit for his team. Even though Hurley despises the portal I see him going after transfers who are good, but not the highest ranked recruits, but that can fill a need for his team.

But the Head Red Boar, John Calipari, is doing his same old thing in a new place. I think these prima donnas players don't give a rat's ass about the team they play and think they can win by out talenting the other team.

So bottom line, I enjoy watching coaches assembling teams not made up of prima donnas. Similar how I enjoy watching Andy Ried and Veatch assemble pieces around a few stars to create a superb team. Klieman is doing this for K-State football. Hopefully Tang will do likewise for basketball.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 3):
katlanderrandallcat85stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 23rd, 2024, 8:21 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 3:51 am
learnin wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 11:51 pm
The blue bloods have more NIL money and are going to be in a position to buy the best talent, but accumulating the very best talent doesn't seem to work, example Calipari.

UConn likely will be the model to follow. I heard Hurley say he likes to recruit players with potential to be NBA caliber players who he can develop and that are a good fit for his team. Even though Hurley despises the portal I see him going after transfers who are good, but not the highest ranked recruits, but that can fill a need for his team.

But the Head Red Boar, John Calipari, is doing his same old thing in a new place. I think these prima donnas players don't give a rat's ass about the team they play and think they can win by out talenting the other team.

So bottom line, I enjoy watching coaches assembling teams not made up of prima donnas. Similar how I enjoy watching Andy Ried and Veatch assemble pieces around a few stars to create a superb team. Klieman is doing this for K-State football. Hopefully Tang will do likewise for basketball.
I do agree that under this new system the blueblood schools are beginning to lose their edge now that every school has the ability to do what schools like KU, Kentucky, and UNC have been doing for decades under the table. With only five positions on the court available and the kids' desire for the big money and lack of patience of waiting for playing time, this new setup of unregulated NIL money and unlimited transfers is going to even things out a little bit more. So I guess the old saying that every dark cloud has a silver lining applies here. :)
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 23rd, 2024, 8:23 am

I am hanging around and awaiting further developments before writing off college sports. I think things will get worse before they get better, and I am not sure they will get better, ever.

Instead of developing talent it seems coaching is now more about attaining talent. Recruiting has always been important. Now it seems to be a full-time year around pursuit.

I have been hit up to donate NIL money and find it hard to believe that much of the NIL funds will not be obtained from the pockets of the fans. I think it will result in higher tuition, ticket prices and required donations to the various funds to get good seats.

So I will take a wait and see approach. But making 18 year old millionaires is not on my bucket list.
stlcatfanrandallcat85

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 23rd, 2024, 8:36 am

stlcatfan wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:21 am
SCKSCat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 3:51 am

I do agree that under this new system the blueblood schools are beginning to lose their edge now that every school has the ability to do what schools like KU, Kentucky, and UNC have been doing for decades under the table. With only five positions on the court available and the kids' desire for the big money and lack of patience of waiting for playing time, this new setup of unregulated NIL money and unlimited transfers is going to even things out a little bit more. So I guess the old saying that every dark cloud has a silver lining applies here. :)
One possible development is that players who want to get paid now don't have to go to the cheaters. They can now go to the school of their choice and negotiate. If other schools match or get close to the blue bloods (cheaters) they may be able to get the player. However the same result could have been obtained by enforcing the rules and severely penalizing the cheaters. So maybe the current system is in many ways more fair in terms of an even playing field, it is only because the cheaters were not brought to task. If "sanity" does return in the form of limits on player compensation and so forth, expect the cheaters to cheat again. I guess sanity and regulation favors the cheaters as long as we tolerate their cheating.
stlcatfanlearnin

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 23rd, 2024, 9:12 am

I heard on one of the insider podcasts the other day that the average NIL for men's basketball players at KState currently is between $200-$250,000!! Yes, I get it, sports are important and out of whack and it does no good to complain, but that is a little hard to swallow considering none of those kids have really accomplished a dang thing in their life to this point. I know that sounds harsh and it is how the free market works, but man, as a teacher in my 28th year with a Masters degree, those kids are four times more valuable to society?? But it is no different than tiktokers or youtubers, pretty jacked up.

I don't like the argument that "these kids work their butts off for their school." You know what, my daughter is an architecture student currently at KSU and I guarantee you she puts in more time to her craft than any of those kids do with basketball, and she pays tuition, housing, meals, etc.

Sorry, just an old man rant, but that is pretty hard to swallow that those kids are making that much money.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 6):
stlcatfanbhoovyTbonespoprandallcat85learninDeereCatFan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 23rd, 2024, 9:23 am

Gorhoops wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:12 am
I heard on one of the insider podcasts the other day that the average NIL for men's basketball players at KState currently is between $200-$250,000!! Yes, I get it, sports are important and out of whack and it does no good to complain, but that is a little hard to swallow considering none of those kids have really accomplished a dang thing in their life to this point. I know that sounds harsh and it is how the free market works, but man, as a teacher in my 28th year with a Masters degree, those kids are four times more valuable to society?? But it is no different than tiktokers or youtubers, pretty jacked up.

I don't like the argument that "these kids work their butts off for their school." You know what, my daughter is an architecture student currently at KSU and I guarantee you she puts in more time to her craft than any of those kids do with basketball, and she pays tuition, housing, meals, etc.

Sorry, just an old man rant, but that is pretty hard to swallow that those kids are making that much money.
:clap: :agree: :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85