Portal 2024

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Portal 2024

Post by stlcatfan » April 16th, 2024, 12:19 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 11:41 am
k.c. played with bill russell for the san francisco don's '55 and '56 national champions. sam played at north carolina central. they won 8 consecutive nba titles. red lit a lot of cigars. ha.

Seeing Red Auerbach smoking a cigar on the bench during a game made me think of the picture in my K-State Alumni Association calendar for the month of March. It is a 1950 picture of Ahearn with the lights shining through the smoke, presumably from all the fans smoking in the arena. :)
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
tmcatsrandallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 16th, 2024, 12:28 pm

Rutgers transfer big man Clifford Omoruyi, a top-10 player in the portal, tells @On3sports he's currently considering 12 schools:

UNC
UCLA
Kansas State
GT
Georgetown
Baylor
Alabama
Oregon
Washington
UGA
St. John’s
Miss St
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 16th, 2024, 1:39 pm

bhoovy wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 12:28 pm
Rutgers transfer big man Clifford Omoruyi, a top-10 player in the portal, tells @On3sports he's currently considering 12 schools:

UNC
UCLA
Kansas State
GT
Georgetown
Baylor
Alabama
Oregon
Washington
UGA
St. John’s
Miss St
https://x.com/TiptonEdits/status/178028 ... horseiride[/mention]
Well with Ballo off the table, Big Clifford was another Tang target for a big.
Some pretty stiff competition.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 16th, 2024, 2:09 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 1:39 pm
bhoovy wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 12:28 pm

UNC
UCLA
Kansas State
GT
Georgetown
Baylor
Alabama
Oregon
Washington
UGA
St. John’s
Miss St
https://x.com/TiptonEdits/status/178028 ... horseiride
Well with Ballo off the table, Big Clifford was another Tang target for a big.
Some pretty stiff competition.
Yeah, unfortunately, he is another one of those longshot type of players. It would be great if we could land him, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't think he has even scheduled a visit with us, has he?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 16th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
I would expect some big names to hit the portal soon.

Some guys are waiting for their final NIL checks before they hit the portal.
2:54 PM · Apr 16, 2024
·
Views
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
SCKSCat
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 16th, 2024, 3:47 pm

Looks unlikely we will be able to land many highly rated transfers unless we are willing to pony up. The money may get crazy before this whole NIL thing is over. At some point the grown-ups will have to intervene. Just not sure who the grown-ups are anymore.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanSection 12-2

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 16th, 2024, 4:03 pm

katlander wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 3:47 pm
Looks unlikely we will be able to land many highly rated transfers unless we are willing to pony up. The money may get crazy before this whole NIL thing is over. At some point the grown-ups will have to intervene. Just not sure who the grown-ups are anymore.
Yeah, we were told that NIL was supposed to be about players being compensated for their name, image, and likeness on video games, jerseys, etc. Now it is just a wide open pay for play bidding war for players.

I agree. The money may get even crazier. Remember, just two years ago when Nigel Pack received $400,000 per year for two years to go to Miami and everyone around the country made a big deal of it. Pfft. That's small potatoes now and it will likely get worse by the year.

It was this free agent greed that turned me off to professional sports. College sports is even less regulated now with NIL money and unlimited transfers.
Last edited by stlcatfan on April 16th, 2024, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 16th, 2024, 4:07 pm

I don't think Omoruyi has scheduled any visits yet so, at this point, it would appear we are just as in-play as any other school on his list.
These users thanked the author bigdeal for the post:
stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 16th, 2024, 5:03 pm

Guerilla Warfare is coming.
Over getting players from the portal and losing them to the portal.
Likely the most aggressive recruiters like our staff equipped with NIL wallets will do the best.
We as fans want a marquee catch, but I imagine the coaches wanting to get good players that give us the best chances to get to the Tournament and doing well it.
CJ Jones is not a marquee name, but looks like he will be a good piece.

Otzelberger and Iowa State recruits 4☆ type players who can be molded into a team that does well. Meanwhile, Calipari hordes 5 stars and gets nowhere in March.
So we just have to have confidence that Tang and Gang will put together a group of players that play well as a team.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 16th, 2024, 6:28 pm

Unless this is regulated it will affect all aspects of college sports and college life. Talk about throwing a wrench in the works! Tuition is already too high and college is under scrutiny as a viable and cost-effective approach regarding a successful career and life. Some corporations now favor hiring good young prospects and teaching them on the job and through seminars and other forms of continuing ed. Some technologies are changing so fast that educations are nearly obsolete shortly after graduation. The cost of 4 to 7 years at K-State are in excess of 100 or even 200K. Then with interest that cost could nearly double. While college kids go ever deeper in debt their friends can get a good job open a retirement account, travel, and buy a house. The days of going to college for the experience are over for all but the rich, and the stupid. Back at campus others are being paid millions to play a sport, and it is likely tuition will be negatively effected to make the whole NIL thing work, rob Peter to pay Paul. I advocate for on-line classes while you work. I can see BSFS half full down the road.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanDeereCatFanrandallcat85