COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: Portal 2024

Post by xtrawildcat » April 23rd, 2024, 5:56 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:29 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:07 pm

the car dealer is making a marketing cost choice: tv, radio, nil? i bought an aviator from long mcarthur at salina because of nil. i would never have done that based on their radio ad or others.
2 things are my conclusion: 1) you likely over paid 2) You are helping funding the current condition. Your money, your choice. I'm not going to support it.
It is a free market. lots of dealers with lower overhead might be able to sell for less. But might not attract the buyer without advertising. Customer is free to decide who he buys from.

Long Macarthur can not bump the price more than the market will bear unless the money spent on ads or NIL is giving them a competitive edge. But maybe they sell more cars at the same price.

And lots of NIL is coming from people who have the money and want to spend it this way.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
randallcat85

purpledolphincat

Pick 'Em

Post by purpledolphincat » April 23rd, 2024, 6:27 pm

Kaluma declares for NBA draft

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 23rd, 2024, 7:22 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:56 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:29 pm

2 things are my conclusion: 1) you likely over paid 2) You are helping funding the current condition. Your money, your choice. I'm not going to support it.
It is a free market. lots of dealers with lower overhead might be able to sell for less. But might not attract the buyer without advertising. Customer is free to decide who he buys from.

Long Macarthur can not bump the price more than the market will bear unless the money spent on ads or NIL is giving them a competitive edge. But maybe they sell more cars at the same price.

And lots of NIL is coming from people who have the money and want to spend it this way.
i actually thought i made a very good trade for the aviator. more than i could have gotten had i traded for another q7. i believe some people draw conclusions based on faulty logic. i would never give directly to nil. but i will certainly support businesses who support k-state over other schools. long mcarthur realizes that and markets accordingly.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 23rd, 2024, 8:45 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:46 pm
learnin wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 2:22 pm
I have a novel idea. Those players, who have left a school in order to get a bigger payday at another school, should don a jersey with a dollar sign on the front instead of the school logo. What is better, the player should have the name of the donor emblazoned across his chest. Let’s just be honest about this situation.
How about the player who gets pushed out as they have been forever. What jersey should they don.

Should only the players turn down more money to be loyal to their school?

What about coaches and athletic directors? Professors? Secretaries?

Should mid major coaches and players turn down opportunities at bigger schools that can provide them many more opportunities in the future?

Just asking.
There's probably a balance to be struck here. Sure, it's normal to seek better opportunities and take them if they become available. On the other hand, what we are witnessing in the current transfer portal/NIL situation is nothing short of chaos. Kids transferring three, four, and even five times during their college careers. Kids chasing $$$, with no loyalty to the school they play for currently -- always looking for a better deal. It was mentioned this morning that now top players are charging large sums of money just to VISIT a school and then lining up several visits.

In football, a kid can enter the portal in December, join a new team, get an NIL package from his new school, and the following April, hit the portal again, never playing a single down for the school he transferred to, while taking their money. If coaches, athletic directors, professors, secretaries, and just your average worker pulled these kinds of shenanigans, they would be roundly criticized and probably never be hired again. How could you trust them?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » April 23rd, 2024, 10:33 pm

Why are fans supposed to be loyal to a program when so few coaches and players are loyal?
These users thanked the author Sir Ocelot for the post (total 2):
randallcat85learnin

learnin

Post by learnin » April 24th, 2024, 12:32 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:46 pm
learnin wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 2:22 pm
I have a novel idea. Those players, who have left a school in order to get a bigger payday at another school, should don a jersey with a dollar sign on the front instead of the school logo. What is better, the player should have the name of the donor emblazoned across his chest. Let’s just be honest about this situation.
How about the player who gets pushed out as they have been forever. What jersey should they don.

Should only the players turn down more money to be loyal to their school?

What about coaches and athletic directors? Professors? Secretaries?

Should mid major coaches and players turn down opportunities at bigger schools that can provide them many more opportunities in the future?

Just asking.
I could be mistaken, but I think players being pushed out is a relatively new phenomena ushered in by the current transfer portal and NIL. Back in the day, I don't recall a great deal of turnover and some of that was for disciplinary reasons or players who didn’t mesh well with coaches. There was the occasional transfer by good players who found themselves on a loaded roster. The sit out for a year rule limited the number of transfers and recruiting over players. Players have always had to ride the bench because they’re not as good as the other 7 or 8 players. Some of these would leave for a chance to play at a different school. You can call that pushing them out if you like. But, to answer your question. A player, who gets pushed out, should wear the jersey of his or hernext school proudly.

As for coaches and professionals who have proven themselves and are always looking for a better gig, more power to them. They should, however, spare us
all the hot air and praise about their new girlfriend. We know better. There are few who have a right to do that. Bill Snyder would be one.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 24th, 2024, 7:35 am

Simple solution. Contracts for services. Since these NIL deals are not about pay for play, put in the Contract that the player has to do certain tangible things for the NIL sponsors such as advertisements, community services, or promotional things for the school. Pay them only a fraction of the Contract upfront, and then prorate the rest.
Heck for multiple year players I would include a non compete clause. Oh well, just call it pay for play. The SEC conference blew the lid off of everything.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 24th, 2024, 8:01 am

What is driving all of the madness in college sports?
Sports agents.
Scum lawyers. This is becoming more about dealing with agents instead of players and their families.
Naivete and quaintmess of college basketball is being squeezed out of existence by agents who are in it to make a buck.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 24th, 2024, 8:22 am

Someday I forsee schools paying to be members of an entity like a NASCAR model where the entity speaks for all of the members and sets rules. Players sign contracts with the entity to play for the member school.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2024, 8:49 am

Looks like RJ Jones is hitting the portal. Kind of bummed about this one (even more than Kaluma). I know he didn't get much playing time, but he was only a true freshman. I thought he had a lot of potential. I'm not surprised, though, with all of the guards we have been recruiting. Good luck to him wherever he lands.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln