Portal 2024

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Portal 2024

Post by stlcatfan » April 23rd, 2024, 9:30 am

Gorhoops wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:12 am
I heard on one of the insider podcasts the other day that the average NIL for men's basketball players at KState currently is between $200-$250,000!! Yes, I get it, sports are important and out of whack and it does no good to complain, but that is a little hard to swallow considering none of those kids have really accomplished a dang thing in their life to this point. I know that sounds harsh and it is how the free market works, but man, as a teacher in my 28th year with a Masters degree, those kids are four times more valuable to society?? But it is no different than tiktokers or youtubers, pretty jacked up.

I don't like the argument that "these kids work their butts off for their school." You know what, my daughter is an architecture student currently at KSU and I guarantee you she puts in more time to her craft than any of those kids do with basketball, and she pays tuition, housing, meals, etc.

Sorry, just an old man rant, but that is pretty hard to swallow that those kids are making that much money.
Wow! I didn't realize the average was so high. I'm sure those averages are just as high or even higher at many other schools. Last year, I retired from teaching after 30 years in the classroom. I also have a Master's degree, but like you, made only a fraction of what these kids are currently making -- and it will only continue to go up each year as big schools try to outbid each other for decent talent. A fair number of these 18-22 year-old players have to be making more money than many assistant coaches at some of these schools!
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85learnin
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 23rd, 2024, 9:39 am

When we run out of old man rants we are doomed.

Old men and women ranting is what is missing in a lot of our homes.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 23rd, 2024, 9:51 am

stlcatfan wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:30 am
Gorhoops wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:12 am
I heard on one of the insider podcasts the other day that the average NIL for men's basketball players at KState currently is between $200-$250,000!! Yes, I get it, sports are important and out of whack and it does no good to complain, but that is a little hard to swallow considering none of those kids have really accomplished a dang thing in their life to this point. I know that sounds harsh and it is how the free market works, but man, as a teacher in my 28th year with a Masters degree, those kids are four times more valuable to society?? But it is no different than tiktokers or youtubers, pretty jacked up.

I don't like the argument that "these kids work their butts off for their school." You know what, my daughter is an architecture student currently at KSU and I guarantee you she puts in more time to her craft than any of those kids do with basketball, and she pays tuition, housing, meals, etc.

Sorry, just an old man rant, but that is pretty hard to swallow that those kids are making that much money.
Wow! I didn't realize the average was so high. I'm sure those averages are just as high or even higher at many other schools. Last year, I retired from teaching after 30 years in the classroom. I also have a Master's degree, but like you, made only a fraction of what these kids are currently making -- and it will only continue to go up each year as big schools try to outbid each other for decent talent. A fair number of these 18-22 year-old players have to be making more money than many assistant coaches at some of these schools!
My concern with all of this money is that big NIL donors will start calling the shots about the basketball or football program by pulling their donations if the AD does not do what the fat cat NIL donors want. I don't see this happening.

My other concern is the agents representing players when it comes to NIL. Unscrupulous agents will screw up the whole ball of wax. I don't like the little leverage games being played on programs who are trying to negotiate in good faith with a transfer player.

I would like to see a cap on how much total NIL $$ can have in play per year. If a program goes over penalize the coaches with automatic pay reductions. But until all of this falls under a single national law, nothing much will be done.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 23rd, 2024, 10:40 am

NIL cap would be a good place to start. However, that puts the cheating back into play.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
randallcat85SCKSCat

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am

I had a conversation via text the other day with a former player who now coaches at a low major basketball program and he deals with NIL a little bit, but he told me some of the horror stories he has heard. He said some of the top portal kids are asking for upwards of $100 grand JUST TO VISIT!!. Not sign, but just to visit schools are being asked for money. That is ridiculous, especially if the kid doesn't end up signing. He also told me that he has heard stories of players in a room of big donors and a poker game ensues, the pot just keeps getting bigger and bigger and eventually, the donors all fold and magically the player wins the pot. Gambling income, no taxes. (I do not gamble so I don't know tax rules, that is just what he said in his text).

But the fact is, eventually these donors are going to want a return on their investment. Generally wealthy people don't like to just throw away money time and time again. At some point even the big, rich schools donors will stop this nonsense.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanSCKSCat

Catalum

Post by Catalum » April 23rd, 2024, 10:50 am

Gorhoops wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am
I had a conversation via text the other day with a former player who now coaches at a low major basketball program and he deals with NIL a little bit, but he told me some of the horror stories he has heard. He said some of the top portal kids are asking for upwards of $100 grand JUST TO VISIT!!. Not sign, but just to visit schools are being asked for money. That is ridiculous, especially if the kid doesn't end up signing. He also told me that he has heard stories of players in a room of big donors and a poker game ensues, the pot just keeps getting bigger and bigger and eventually, the donors all fold and magically the player wins the pot. Gambling income, no taxes. (I do not gamble so I don't know tax rules, that is just what he said in his text).

But the fact is, eventually these donors are going to want a return on their investment. Generally wealthy people don't like to just throw away money time and time again. At some point even the big, rich schools donors will stop this nonsense.
^^This^^ ....exactly right. The wealthy get and stay that way from making wise investments.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 23rd, 2024, 11:29 am

Gorhoops wrote:

This just goes to show how screwed up the system is getting. I may have heard this wrong, but the NCAA is no longer allowing schools to provide "goodie bags" with candy and snacks to recruits on visits (unless they are NCAA approved), yet the recruit can demand tens of thousands of dollars just to show up on campus for a visit and the NCAA has no issue with that?

And yes, I agree, wealthy donors will expect a return on investment. If they pay a million dollars for some kid who is nothing more than a hired mercenary for one or two seasons and he doesn't live up to expectations, they will have second thoughts about future donations to an NIL collective.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

kstueve

Post by kstueve » April 23rd, 2024, 1:15 pm

Gorhoops wrote:

uh no you are legally required to pay income tax on your gambling winnings

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 23rd, 2024, 1:36 pm

Joe Tipton On3 is reporting...
Arkansas transfer guard Khalif Battle will visit Kansas State from Wednesday through Friday, a source tells
@On3sports

The 6-5 senior averaged 14.8 PPG this season. Had a 42-point performance and two 30+ point games this ye@onasteelhorseiride

This is puzzling. Glover's recovery not going well?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 23rd, 2024, 1:55 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 1:36 pm
Joe Tipton On3 is reporting...
Arkansas transfer guard Khalif Battle will visit Kansas State from Wednesday through Friday, a source tells
@On3sports

The 6-5 senior averaged 14.8 PPG this season. Had a 42-point performance and two 30+ point games this ye@onasteelhorseiride

This is puzzling. Glover's recovery not going well?
This one does surprise me a bit. If he commits to the Cats you have to believe someone else is leaving or unable to return.

But also shows this staff is playing the game. Going after talent and you either prove you’re worthy of minutes or there’s a chance you’re recruited over.
Last edited by bhoovy on April 23rd, 2024, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
randallcat85