I want Coach Tang to stay. I think the world of him.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: I want Coach Tang to stay. I think the world of him.

Post by learnin » April 12th, 2024, 12:17 am

Tbonespop wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 7:56 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 11:46 am
mindless comments about a coach who actually won championships here always make me chuckle.
*and lost quite a bit of games too. Gotta admit the good with the bad. It's not like it was all cherries and roses year after year.
Weber coached one year with the transfer portal and the transfer portal came within a hair of saving his job. It would have saved his job if Covid had not depleted the team for the first four conference games . When you play by the rules, and you’re recruiting to Kansas State without a transfer portal, you’re going to have up and down seasons because you have to rebuild rosters with freshmen. When Angel left for money, imagine if Weber could have nabbed an experienced point guard from the portal .
Imagine, if you will, what Tang’s record would be in his first two years without Johnson, Sills, Carter, Perry and Kaluma.
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 12th, 2024, 12:31 am

learnin wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 12:17 am
Tbonespop wrote:

*and lost quite a bit of games too. Gotta admit the good with the bad. It's not like it was all cherries and roses year after year.
Weber coached one year with the transfer portal and the transfer portal came within a hair of saving his job. It would have saved his job if Covid had not depleted the team for the first four conference games . When you play by the rules, and you’re recruiting to Kansas State without a transfer portal, you’re going to have up and down seasons because you have to rebuild rosters with freshmen. When Angel left for money, imagine if Weber could have nabbed an experienced point guard from the portal .
Imagine, if you will, what Tang’s record would be in his first two years without Johnson, Sills, Carter, Perry and Kaluma.
You have to acknowledge some of Weber's last recruits have done well. Miguel, Pack, and Nowell. You can also argue Massoud contributed to us getting to the Elite 8.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
learnin

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 12th, 2024, 12:43 am

learnin wrote:
Tbonespop wrote:

Weber's last 3 consecutive seasons at KSU his record was 34-58, a 37% winning percentage. His career winning percentage at KSU was .556, 184-147. Frank Martin's career winning percentage at KSU was .684, 117-54. Thus far Tang is 45-25, .643 winning %. I think some of you Weber defenders have some alignment with him because in some crazy way, you relate to him and his quirky personality, could be that those relating/supporting also have similar personalities. Weber had a few good years at KSU, yes. He also had some bad years. The entire body of work was average at best.
EMAW

learnin

Post by learnin » April 12th, 2024, 1:03 am

Tbonespop wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 12:43 am
learnin wrote:

Weber's last 3 consecutive seasons at KSU his record was 34-58, a 37% winning percentage. His career winning percentage at KSU was .556, 184-147. Frank Martin's career winning percentage at KSU was .684, 117-54. Thus far Tang is 45-25, .643 winning %. I think some of you Weber defenders have some alignment with him because in some crazy way, you relate to him and his quirky personality, could be that those relating/supporting also have similar personalities. Weber had a few good years at KSU, yes. He also had some bad years. The entire body of work was average at best.
I’m quite aware of Weber’s unimpressive over all record at Kansas State. I can make the argument that many good coaches would have not fared much better and some not as well IF they faced the exact same set of circumstances.

1. No recruitment cheating
2. No transfer portal
3. Multiple years of a true round robin coaching against the likes of Kruger, Self, Hoiberg, Huggins, Beard, etc.
4. Two covid years where
a. three freshmen played before no home crowd
b. Those freshmen, now sophomores, had to start conference play with half a team for four games.
5. Beginning your K- State coaching gig with a good percentage of the fan base wanting you to lose.
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
randallcat85

Snyder

Post by Snyder » April 12th, 2024, 8:15 am

learnin wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 1:03 am
Tbonespop wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 12:43 am

I’m quite aware of Weber’s unimpressive over all record at Kansas State. I can make the argument that many good coaches would have not fared much better and some not as well IF they faced the exact same set of circumstances.

1. No recruitment cheating
2. No transfer portal
3. Multiple years of a true round robin coaching against the likes of Kruger, Self, Hoiberg, Huggins, Beard, etc.
4. Two covid years where
a. three freshmen played before no home crowd
b. Those freshmen, now sophomores, had to start conference play with half a team for four games.
5. Beginning your K- State coaching gig with a good percentage of the fan base wanting you to lose.
Just curious since I was not on this board during the Weber years. What is your obsession with him? Number 1,2,3,4 apply to most any coach. It's just strange staying so attached to a guy who not only left but trashed the fans when he did.
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post:
flatlander

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 12th, 2024, 10:46 am

coach weber was doomed from the get-go. he'd just been canned by illinois and was headed to charlotte. john currie hired him out of the blue. bruce followed local media darling frank martin and was hired by their villain, john currie. weber never stood a chance.

kurtz, kellis, fitz and the lot flare-up whenever they see an opening. it actually started with bill snyder when he famously said to kurtz: you write whatever the hell you want. then currie for standing up to martin over the jamsam matter. then bruce for taking martin's job over fitz's buddy, brad underwood. then gene taylor - but only briefly - for hiring his buddy from north dakota. then most recently the easiest of targets, university president linton.

and people wonder why some of us get triggered when these shit-stirrers are quoted here as experts. experts my ass. they are the worst sort of media leeches. we would feed them to the walleye up here in 'sota.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

wazucat

Post by wazucat » April 12th, 2024, 11:18 am

I want Tang to stay.

I'm over joyed Weber is gone.

Currie did run Frank off and he deserves the ire of the fans like me heaped upon him.

Our current AD may be the best coaching talent evaluator to ever work for KSU.
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post:
pharaohcat

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 12th, 2024, 11:27 am

wazucat wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 11:18 am
I want Tang to stay.

Currie did run Frank off and he deserves the ire of the fans like me heaped upon him.

yeah, that frank martin has proven to be the real deal all the way to umass nowadays. and by the way, frank quit on you - currie offered to extend his contract before martin left for usc,e. but don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative.

https://jugofsnyder.com/2012/05/07/cult-of-frank/

wazucat

Post by wazucat » April 12th, 2024, 11:39 am

tmcats wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 11:27 am
wazucat wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 11:18 am
I want Tang to stay.

yeah, that frank martin has proven to be the real deal all the way to umass nowadays. and by the way, frank quit on you - currie offered to extend his contract before martin left for usc,e. but don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative.

the jug of snyder link you have pulled out numerous times is not a FACT, it is an opinion piece and a crappy one at that

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 12th, 2024, 12:02 pm

wazucat wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 11:39 am
tmcats wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 11:27 am

the jug of snyder link you have pulled out numerous times is not a FACT, it is an opinion piece and a crappy one at that
why i'm shock, shock that you don't consider another's opinion, let alone valid. let it rest that we completely disagree. frank for me was a turd. his record has proven that. he was also a cheater. the media dolts surrounding k-state are mostly trouble makers looking for clicks, not facts. weber failed, mostly of his own making. at the time, i was hoping john would hire marquette's buzz williams. my recommendation mattered little.