Iowa State @ Hilton

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Iowa State @ Hilton

Post by SCKSCat » January 23rd, 2024, 10:17 am

At least at Ames they don't hire homer refs who give the home team an advantage like at the old chicken house, Allen Fieldhouse.
Instead someone gives their players a snort of some special corn hooch, and then gives it to their fans. Then some player has a career night shooting, the others defend like they are trying to keep you away from their grandma because they are convinced you are going to ravage her, and the fans are like a mob yelling at you because they know you are a grandma molester.

Not an easy place to play basketball... let alone win.
We can win though.

IMO we will if 2 players get hot at scoring and the Cats pass the ball instead of trying to dribble like the Harl3m Globetrotters. Coach Tang hinted in yesterday's in the press conference to shoot fast.

I guess it is better to at least get a shot than to lose the ball to a turnover. ISU are one of the nation’s top teams in forcing turnovers. I think they forced 27 turnovers against TCU.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 23rd, 2024, 10:41 am

Nice & interesting analogy... "grandmother protectors", never heard a fan base being compared in such colorful ways. But as I've seen on TV many times the Hilton faithful are a very rowdy bunch for sure. KSU is going to have to bring it's A+++ game to come out with a win. Need to establish a lead in the first half, because the Hilton magic always seems to appear in the second half. Go Cats!!
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
randallcat85

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 23rd, 2024, 11:16 am

Went to many men and women's BB games in Hilton during my 13 years of working in Iowa. It is a special place for basketball Their fans are loud and enthusiastic, but no more obnoxious than other places.

The thing I remember most about Hilton is freezing my ass off in the parking lot getting to and from the arena. ;)))

Also, Johnny Orr was an egomaniac who played to the crowd more than he coached.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
SCKSCat

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 23rd, 2024, 12:29 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 10:17 am
At least at Ames they don't hire homer refs who give the home team an advantage like at the old chicken house, Allen Fieldhouse.
Instead someone gives their players a snort of some special corn hooch, and then gives it to their fans. Then some player has a career night shooting, the others defend like they are trying to keep you away from their grandma because they are convinced you are going to ravage her, and the fans are like a mob yelling at you because they know you are a grandma molester.

Not an easy place to play basketball... let alone win.
We can win though.

IMO we will if 2 players get hot at scoring and the Cats pass the ball instead of trying to dribble like the Harl3m Globetrotters. Coach Tang hinted in yesterday's in the press conference to shoot fast.

I guess it is better to at least get a shot than to lose the ball to a turnover. ISU are one of the nation’s top teams in forcing turnovers. I think they forced 27 turnovers against TCU.
Tang is right. You are never more open than open. If you have an open shot, take it.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 23rd, 2024, 1:01 pm

so this will be a "pace" game. whose do we play, theirs or ours?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 23rd, 2024, 3:52 pm

i love this mindset.

Cyclonepride
Thought Police
Staff member
Today at 1:42 PM
If I were to rank the likelihoods, I would say we would be more likely to beat K State at home without Lipsey than win at TCU, but I still hope he's good to go.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 23rd, 2024, 4:34 pm

What would be the disadvantages of coming down and shooting the first good shot, be it a 3 or a 2. Would we be able to hit 30% or better on 3 point attempts? Then would we be able to get a significant number of the misses as a lot would be long rebounds. Could we box out in a way to better position us for long rebounds. You would think if we played this way and took more 3s we would eventually hit a better percentage. Not talking about up-tempo just an approach of non-hesitation where we shoot as soon as we have a decent look. This approach could be used for periods of time to catch opponents off guard or could be implemented as the primary approach. May be especially valuable in games where we get 15 or more points behind.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
stlcatfan

pharaohcat

Post by pharaohcat » January 23rd, 2024, 4:59 pm

I would like to see us go more up tempo like last year. Carter is good at the faster pace and Finister and N'G hae the speed and jumping ability to go up tempo and Kaluma could euro step his way for easy points.
These users thanked the author pharaohcat for the post:
stlcatfan

Catalum

Post by Catalum » January 23rd, 2024, 5:24 pm

pharaohcat wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 4:59 pm
I would like to see us go more up tempo like last year. Carter is good at the faster pace and Finister and N'G hae the speed and jumping ability to go up tempo and Kaluma could euro step his way for easy points.
Kaluma is money with that euro-step and reverse layup.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post (total 3):
pharaohcatstlcatfanPurpleOnWhite

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » January 23rd, 2024, 9:58 pm

Hilton doesn't have dog crates. Big night coming for Perry.