Technical foul for flopping & new 3 point line

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Technical foul for flopping & new 3 point line

Post by SCKSCat » September 19th, 2022, 11:09 pm

A new rule allows a referee to call a technical foul for flopping. The opposition will get a free throw.
Good rule or bad one?
Will this impact how Tang defense work?

Men’s college basketball moved the 3-point line from 20-feet, nine inches to 22-feet, 1.75 inches. The women’s line remained the same, meaning on a number of college floors there will be two lines.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » September 20th, 2022, 1:51 am

Moving the line is overdue. The 3 reduces, or even eliminates, the incentive for pick and roll, back cuts and other desirable elements of the game we all love. If this extension applies to the corners is there going to be room there for anybody to stand and launch. Only guards with small feet?
These users thanked the author Highway26north for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 20th, 2022, 11:08 am

it's galling that wbb and mbb rules are different. drives me nutso. all the woke b.s. we deal with and then this. good grief.

as far as flopping, it's a judgement call like any other. and there's nothing more frustrating in hoops than the marcus smart flops of the world being called on the other guy. then there's the head jerk, that's so cool. :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » September 22nd, 2022, 7:11 pm

tmcats wrote: it's galling that wbb and mbb rules are different. drives me nutso. all the woke b.s. we deal with and then this. good grief.

as far as flopping, it's a judgement call like any other. and there's nothing more frustrating in hoops than the marcus smart flops of the world being called on the other guy. then there's the head jerk, that's so cool. :roll:
I know few care, but the 2 lines is just adding complexity to officiating the game.

Reading intent into the flop is subjective and difficult. I personally like officials that just "No Call". If the Offensive player can complete the play while making contact with the defender who is vertical good for him/her.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » September 22nd, 2022, 8:28 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
September 22nd, 2022, 7:11 pm
tmcats wrote: it's galling that wbb and mbb rules are different. drives me nutso. all the woke b.s. we deal with and then this. good grief.

I know few care, but the 2 lines is just adding complexity to officiating the game.

Reading intent into the flop is subjective and difficult. I personally like officials that just "No Call". If the Offensive player can complete the play while making contact with the defender who is vertical good for him/her.
totally disagree. lots of calls are subjective. goal tending or block? charging or block? flopping is one of the easier ones. good grief.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » September 23rd, 2022, 9:14 am

tmcats wrote:
September 22nd, 2022, 8:28 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:
September 22nd, 2022, 7:11 pm

totally disagree. lots of calls are subjective. goal tending or block? charging or block? flopping is one of the easier ones. good grief.
I will actually make officiating easier if you reduce the number of players flopping.
however, when you take a charge you should actually start to fall back on your own so you don't take the full impact. All about being in the right position.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 25th, 2022, 9:07 pm

The 3-pt line was moved to the international distance for men for the 2019-202 season and moved last year to the same distance for the women.

kstueve

Post by kstueve » September 25th, 2022, 9:40 pm

so now in a close game at allen KU's opponent will be mysteriously called for the flop right?
These users thanked the author kstueve for the post:
stlcatfan

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » September 26th, 2022, 12:51 pm

kstueve wrote:
September 25th, 2022, 9:40 pm
so now in a close game at allen KU's opponent will be mysteriously called for the flop right?
yep