Who’s the next coach

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pharaohcat

Re: Who’s the next coach

Post by pharaohcat » March 15th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Only a fool would draw that conclusion.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 15th, 2022, 10:30 pm

Enough of the personal attacks.....both ways.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 15th, 2022, 10:34 pm

My personal guess with no knowledge. Underwood has an offer. Tang is in the bullpen. Those are the 2 for the moment. Don't know who's in the bullpen. Underwood probably has till the end of the weekend or after he loses if he loses this weekend. I think Tang is the guy.
These users thanked the author hilltopwildcat for the post (total 2):
learninstlcatfan

pharaohcat

Post by pharaohcat » March 15th, 2022, 10:39 pm

He would be my choice.

kstfan88

Post by kstfan88 » March 15th, 2022, 10:55 pm

Jeff Linder and Wyoming just got knocked out by Indiana in the play-in game.

Can’t imagine he’s on Gene’s shortlist now

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 15th, 2022, 11:16 pm

As I think of our success over the years, most important part is to hire a coach who can bring players with him or hire assistants that can bring players with him. Or have a little luck or both
1. Hartman inherited a bunch of good players.
2, Got lucky with Dean Smith passing on Mike Evans and steering him to Hartman.
3. KU didn't want to recruit Bonnor Springs player Ed Nealy so Kstate got him.
4. Then hired the assistant from a New York high school who brought more good player with him. Redding and Blackmon.
5. Kruger hired Altman who brought Mitch and Bledsoe.
6. Then not success for 20 years.
7. Huggins brought a couple of players with him and then hired the assistant that brought Beasley with him.
8, Martin got lucky to inherit lots of good players that Huggins brought in including Pullen.
9. Weber inherited a pretty team from Martin and made it better.
10.. Weber got lucky with having Kansas high school player Dean Wade.

So hire a coach who can bring some players with him or hire assistants who can bring players, or get lucky.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 3):
ksudennystlcatfankatlander

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 15th, 2022, 11:16 pm

kstfan88 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 6:12 pm
Hiring assistants straight to a major job has been rather uncommon. Those who did not simply inherit their current program at the time and instead went somewhere else do not have the best of results. Notable exception being Lloyd at Arizona, which is probably one of the top programs not considered a blue blood. It is still his first year though, but you certainly can't start your career much better than this.

Duke Assistants Who Got a Major Job:
Steve Wojciechowski - Fired from Marquette
Johnny Dawkins - Fired from Stanford. 2nd chance at UCF, mixed results (1 NCAA tournament in 6 years)
Chris Collins - Northwestern, was on hot seat but was announced he would be given another year

Washington's Mike Hopkins has mixed results. Was a Syracuse assistant beforehand.

Outside of these guys from the past decade, the only current high major coach who didn't have college head coaching experience before or extensive NBA experience is Leonard Hamilton, hired by Oklahoma State out of Kentucky back in 1986 per ESPN.

Last year was a big bucking of history, as many assistants were hired to P6 jobs. It is a bit too soon to tell:

Micah Shrewberry - Penn State hired out of Purdue. 14-17
Ben Johnson - Minnesota out of Xavier (was a Minnesota assistant before though). 13-17
Tony Stubblefield - Depaul out of Virginia (was an interim coach though for part of a season back in 2004). 15-14. Not bad for Depaul.
WHAT???? The best hire in the last 10 years in the Big XII outside of Beard is OSU staying with Mike Boyton.

PNW Cat

Post by PNW Cat » March 15th, 2022, 11:30 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:16 pm
kstfan88 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 6:12 pm
Hiring assistants straight to a major job has been rather uncommon. Those who did not simply inherit their current program at the time and instead went somewhere else do not have the best of results. Notable exception being Lloyd at Arizona, which is probably one of the top programs not considered a blue blood. It is still his first year though, but you certainly can't start your career much better than this.

Duke Assistants Who Got a Major Job:
Steve Wojciechowski - Fired from Marquette
Johnny Dawkins - Fired from Stanford. 2nd chance at UCF, mixed results (1 NCAA tournament in 6 years)
Chris Collins - Northwestern, was on hot seat but was announced he would be given another year

Washington's Mike Hopkins has mixed results. Was a Syracuse assistant beforehand.

Outside of these guys from the past decade, the only current high major coach who didn't have college head coaching experience before or extensive NBA experience is Leonard Hamilton, hired by Oklahoma State out of Kentucky back in 1986 per ESPN.

Last year was a big bucking of history, as many assistants were hired to P6 jobs. It is a bit too soon to tell:

Micah Shrewberry - Penn State hired out of Purdue. 14-17
Ben Johnson - Minnesota out of Xavier (was a Minnesota assistant before though). 13-17
Tony Stubblefield - Depaul out of Virginia (was an interim coach though for part of a season back in 2004). 15-14. Not bad for Depaul.
WHAT???? The best hire in the last 10 years in the Big XII outside of Beard is OSU staying with Mike Boyton.
It'll be interesting to see if South Carolina steals him. Its his alma mater and Columbia > Stillwater

kstfan88

Post by kstfan88 » March 16th, 2022, 12:18 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:16 pm
Boynton is a pending case. He’s had one season with a winning record in Big 12 play and OSU finished 15-15 this year. They could be a tournament team again though next season. He was an internal hire as opposed to being an assistant at OSU and getting hired away like the other names mentioned.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 16th, 2022, 2:39 am

I am sorry to say this, and I know Weber could not help it, but please hire a new coach who does not sound so goofy. I often wondered how many new recruits we lost out on because of his voice. And his sideline antics. It's late. I think young people judge on what they see. First impression are important. I am sure this same phenomenon did in Martin. I listened and watched a video of Tang yesterday; no bad 1st impression problems with hi. Like Klieman in a way. I think many current players would stay for him and play their hearts out for him.