other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: other schools coaching news and stuff ...

Post by tmcats » April 18th, 2021, 11:34 am

txt fan takes on their future lineup.

CBALLZ20
Posted on Apr 15th, 2:53 PM, , User Since 1 months ago, User Post Count: 11
Apr 15th, 2:53 PM
1 months
Looking at all the guys that left to the transfer portal sucks, but wanted to focus on who's here/coming in (will try and update this list as we get more in):

PG - Clarence Nadolny--JR (6'3" 190) He only averaged 8.9 minutes per game in 2020, but if you watched closely--Clarence is going to be a stud. He may never be a 20 ppg scorer, but he plays with some pretty fierce defensive intensity and he's always looking to find the open target on offense. I'd really like to see him take a big leap in his willingness to shoot. If we can get him up in the 8-10 points per game range, he's plenty capable of running an offense as a PG with all the other intangibles he brings to the table.

SG - Buzo Agbo--Soph (6'7" 215) He may not settle in as your typical SG, but I'm penciling him into the starting lineup based on what's available today. He was a prolific scorer and shooter in HS, and you started to see some glimpses of what he can do down the stretch of 2020 and in the NCAA tournament (specifically against Arkansas). He began to gain the trust of the coaching staff over guys like Peavy at the end of games. He's always been a strong shooter who I think just didn't get enough minutes to ever get in a groove as a true freshman. I'd really like to see him take a big step forward, gain some confidence in his shooting stroke, and command a starting role.

SF - Kevin McCullar--JR (6'6" 205) McCullar was my favorite player on the team last year--I won't lie. He plays more like he's a 6'8" 230 PF a lot of times. He's easily our best defensive player and one of those guys you always want on your team--almost ALWAYS out-hustling the opponent. He showed some range and confidence shooting the ball last year, which was nice to see. He's our top returning scorer at 10.4 PPG and 2nd leading rebounder at 6.3 RPG. He was pretty reliable at the FT line (70.4%) and got there pretty often too. We need McCullar to be an Alpha next year.

PF - KJ Allen--Soph (6'6" 225) We don't know a whole lot about Allen or the condition he will be in when he gets on campus, but he's a big-bodied athlete who loves to dunk and do little things to help his team win. He's been compared a lot to what Mark Vital has been at Baylor--I think I'd sign up for that right now as a baseline project. He's the #10 overall JUCO player in this class, averaging 18.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.8 steals per game as a freshman--albeit against probable suspect competition. He's penciled in as a starter until further notice out of sheer numbers need.

C - Marcus Santos-Silva--SR (6'7" 245) MSS is a wide-bodied banger. He has another year to develop and work on his game. He wasn't a bad player for us--averaging 8.3 PPG, 6.4 RPG, and 1.1 BPG. He had some tendency to get into foul trouble--but a lot of that is asking him to guard some guys who were 4-5 inches taller than him. I also saw him pick up some cheap fouls trying to switch to a smaller guard after a screen. He's a solid player, and it's good to have him back. He's probably more suited for a traditional PF, but he will likely man the C spot once again for us in 2021.
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 18th, 2021, 12:43 pm

caleb grill brutally frank comments about unlv posted by someone on cy'fanatic. pretty easy decision to return to ames, I guess. of course, players never read sports boards or get twitter. :lol:

Still, he didn’t want to spend another year in Las Vegas. Especially not with(out) Otzelberger by his side.

“I kind of want to get out of here,” Grill said. “We don’t really live in the nicest area of Vegas and it’s 18 hours away from home. The fan support out here is also brutal. I get ruthless (direct messages) from fans all the time that expect a little too much of us because they went to the Final Four in the 90s. They still expect that every year. People, in general, are just rude out here.”

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 18th, 2021, 5:10 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 12:43 pm
caleb grill brutally frank comments about unlv posted by someone on cy'fanatic. pretty easy decision to return to ames, I guess. of course, players never read sports boards or get twitter. :lol:

Still, he didn’t want to spend another year in Las Vegas. Especially not with(out) Otzelberger by his side.

“I kind of want to get out of here,” Grill said. “We don’t really live in the nicest area of Vegas and it’s 18 hours away from home. The fan support out here is also brutal. I get ruthless (direct messages) from fans all the time that expect a little too much of us because they went to the Final Four in the 90s. They still expect that every year. People, in general, are just rude out here.”
Wow! Frank, indeed.
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 19th, 2021, 9:07 am

Iowa starting guard CJ Fredrick leaving program, will enter transfer portal

i mean it's happening everywhere. the game is just taking a nut-shot with free agency. i watched iowa a lot this year because they were sort of a throwback team that shot lights out and also had the country's #1 player, luka garza. but they faded the second half. this Frederick youngster was a big piece of their future.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sport ... 281373002/

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
ksudenny

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » April 19th, 2021, 9:12 am

I wonder how many coaches from other schools are directly or indirectly sending word to some of these better players? I suppose the players are allowed to contact other schools before entering the portal. Either way, the damage being done is significant.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 19th, 2021, 9:21 am

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 9:12 am
I wonder how many coaches from other schools are directly or indirectly sending word to some of these better players? I suppose the players are allowed to contact other schools before entering the portal. Either way, the damage being done is significant.
clearly, the portal has just made the underground a complete sewer with aau coaches, handlers, friends of the program, and every other lowlife now talking crap to these kids. why the hell would a guy like d'gordon transfer from k-state to missouri of all places when weber and martin are brothers of a different mother or a'gordon transfer from a power five program to directional louisiana?

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 19th, 2021, 10:29 am

tmcats wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 9:21 am
PurpleOnWhite wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 9:12 am
clearly, the portal has just made the underground a complete sewer with aau coaches, handlers, friends of the program, and every other lowlife now talking crap to these kids. why the hell would a guy like d'gordon transfer from k-state to missouri of all places when weber and martin are brothers of a different mother or a'gordon transfer from a power five program to directional louisiana?
The whole thing is a mess, but D Gordon ending up at Misery raises less red flags to me. It's just a lateral move. He clearly was not happy about something. No inside knowledge on AG, but the way his year ended seemed like there was a disconnect between him & the coaching staff.

The players that are making the "big step up" are more concerning. There is nothing to stop a coach from asking his players about his buddies on another team & all the "elite" players are friends with one another. It will make it impossible for the Drakes of the world to ever make a leap.

It will be a mess forever now that there is the one free transfer (was pretty much free the last 5 years anyway), but it will be particularly bad for next 3 years because of the covid frozen eligibility.

In another thread, I think someone mentioned that KSU will have 1 schollie to give next year...I can almost guarantee that KSU will have at least 3 available for 2022.

I've been critical of Bruce & still think there should have been a change, but the transfers should not be put at his feet. It's just a problem with college athletics and & the attitudes of the athletes these days. It happens everywhere!
These users thanked the author JOKKO for the post:
ksudenny

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 19th, 2021, 11:58 am

D. Gordon is from Chicago where MU recruits a lot and Martin, being from St Louis, probably has connections there as well. Not really a surprise that he would end up a MU given the proximity.

A. Gordon was viewed as a project when he was recruited. KSU was his only offer. While he showed abilities to score in HS, a lot of it was where he was playing and being bigger then other kids. He wasn't really supposed to be forced into a major role early in his college career because he wasn't ready. But the injury to Murphy, and other misses, put him in the spotlight when he should have had a few years to develop. KSU and Weber don't have that luxury right now to sit him on the bench and let him learn. He will do a lot better at a lower division school against lesser competition, but unfortunately for him, that school has never really done anything, but he will get a degree out of it.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » April 19th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Weber was on D. Gordon well before he was Chicago POY. Plus the news of the transfer portal was said to come after meetings with his family. I infer that was a very strong relationship with a lot of communication. I think he is not a typical case.

Seemed like they met and each side stated their case on how he should be used and they agreed to disagree. Frankly I thought the way he was used at KSU was perfect for his skill set. I seriously doubt that he'll be used any differently at Mizzou. But we shall see. He is never going to be a guy you run through double screens to get an open look from 20 feet. But if he becomes that, and it works, hats off to Cuonzo.
These users thanked the author Highway26north for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 19th, 2021, 4:24 pm

this is a pretty consistent txt fan narrative about coach beard. i found the rationalized denial pretty interesting reading, particularly that most tech fans feel the assistant, mark adams (now their coach), was the reason beard was so successful in lubbock. i wonder if they talked about on that way here back in the day?

JetRink
Posted on 37 mins, , User Since 225 months ago, User Post Count: 1144
37 mins
225 months
My desire for him to fail could cloud my judgment but here goes. Based upon the past, it would be hard to argue that Chris Beard isn't an elite coach. But I would argue that there is at least as good a chance that he fails at Texas as he is successful. To start with, as we have all speculated, how much was Mark Adams instrumental to his success. Beard had some success pre-Adams at lower divisions so perhaps that will continue, but no way does he get the Texas job let alone the Tech job based on his pre-Adams succuss at McMurry and Angelo State. The Arkansas Little Rock success that propeled him to power 5 basketball was achieved with Mark Adams. Time will tell whether Adams or someone equal to (and I don't think there are many people equal to Mark Adams on the defensive end) his skill set is necessary for Chris Beard to replicate that success at Texas. Second, I have had this discussion for a couple years with my son, when I was convinced that Chris Beard would never leave Tech for a blue blood much less Texas: Would Chris Beards style or system work in that environment. He has built his success on the gritty street dog mentality that got us to an elite 8 and championship game. But make no mistake, this years and last years team were shadows of our formal hustle and grit. Hell, at times this year even Avery Benson looked lazy to me. Watching ACU's true street dogs defend Texas reminded me of our old teams. I am not sure McDonalds AA will put in the work and lack of selfishness to succeed. I am certain the fan base at UT and the powers that be will not be satisfied with Beard bringing in a bunch of no name recruits, because they fit his system. He will be under pressure to have top end recruiting classes, and if he achieves that will they buy into his scheme. Maybe he adapts and they play a whole different brand of basketball with prima donna recruits, but its hard to change what you believe is successful. Third, even if he does not need Adams and everthing goes right, sometimes success just does not translate at other places. There are many more examples of failed hires than successful ones. If it was as easy as hiring a good coach and collecting wins, Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC etc, etc would always be great at football, and Shaka would still be at Texas. Fourth, for two years I have screamed at the TV about lack of offensive production. I hear and read that offense was Beards baby. If it was then this speaks to a coaching deficiency, if not he failed to hire effective assistants on the offensive end which is a coaching deficiency. Finally, while we were right in the thick of it in many games this year, the fact remains five years into this and we were in the bottom half of the conference for the second year in a row.

Maybe he is successful, but of this I am certain, if you have a good thing going you better stick with it. He didn't, and I hope the forces of the universe conspire against the fraud!!!!!