Blocked shots -- times have changed

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Re: Blocked shots -- times have changed

Post by PurpleOnWhite » February 19th, 2021, 9:44 am

Kralicek wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 9:07 am
And no one has mentioned carrying the ball while dribbling and taking 3 steps on every other drive.
Or a player “backing down” a player near the goal. There is no longer a rule of verticality.
Last edited by PurpleOnWhite on February 19th, 2021, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » February 19th, 2021, 10:17 am

Kralicek wrote:
And no one has mentioned carrying the ball while dribbling and taking 3 steps on every other drive.
Carrying! Good call holy crap. It’s fricking ridiculous how the ball is carried any more. They called it a few times in a high school game I went to a couple weeks ago. I found it refreshing that it was called. And far less obvious than what I see in college. Blocking and offensive fouls I have no idea. Everyone could go either way it seems. College hoops is turning in nba which could go away as far as I’m concerned. Traveling - they apparently get 10 steps in nba.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm

I don't think it would take long at all to make the change on blocked shots.

Just make it known that a blocked shot must "NOT" have any lower body contact or it will be a foul.

In one season, players would learn to back off on shots going to the rim or foul out before halftime. Players like to be on the court, so they will quit making contact.

It didn't take too long for the reaching in foul on the defense to dwindle down to something that doesn't ruin the game.

The "shoulder shove" is another area that needs to change. If a defensive player is holding his ground and not reaching in, then he is entitled to his space. If the offensive player gives the ol' shoulder shove, it should be a foul. This is an area of real inconsistency in foul calling and makes effective man defense in the middle nigh impossible.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 19th, 2021, 7:41 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm
I don't think it would take long at all to make the change on blocked shots.

Just make it known that a blocked shot must "NOT" have any lower body contact or it will be a foul.

In one season, players would learn to back off on shots going to the rim or foul out before halftime. Players like to be on the court, so they will quit making contact.

It didn't take too long for the reaching in foul on the defense to dwindle down to something that doesn't ruin the game.

The "shoulder shove" is another area that needs to change. If a defensive player is holding his ground and not reaching in, then he is entitled to his space. If the offensive player gives the ol' shoulder shove, it should be a foul. This is an area of real inconsistency in foul calling and makes effective man defense in the middle nigh impossible.
Just my opinion but they have it about right now. If a defensive player goes up vertical and doesn't bring his hands down he is not called.
If he is called every time a guard attacks his body, there will be no place for a big man .

wazucat

Post by wazucat » February 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

DeereCatFan wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 10:17 am
Kralicek wrote:
Carrying! Good call holy crap. It’s fricking ridiculous how the ball is carried any more. They called it a few times in a high school game I went to a couple weeks ago. I found it refreshing that it was called. And far less obvious than what I see in college. Blocking and offensive fouls I have no idea. Everyone could go either way it seems. College hoops is turning in nba which could go away as far as I’m concerned. Traveling - they apparently get 10 steps in nba.
I have assumed for decades that the rules had been changed regards "carrying or palming the ball" , the reason I assumed that is because for decades every game I have watched the obvious carrying is rampant but never whistled , WHO KNEW the rule is still on the books????

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 23rd, 2021, 9:27 am

Big difference between contact and a foul. Most fouls involved contact but not all contact is a foul.

When officials are rewarded for "tightening" the contact up, it'll be called. As long as the same old, same old is taught, it won't change.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 23rd, 2021, 10:49 am

i remember coach knight complaining about after the block contact not being called a foul. this was during a ku game.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 23rd, 2021, 2:45 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 9:27 am
Big difference between contact and a foul. Most fouls involved contact but not all contact is a foul.

When officials are rewarded for "tightening" the contact up, it'll be called. As long as the same old, same old is taught, it won't change.
Just curious, which fouls do not involve contact? I can think of a T but are there others?