Selton Miguel's jump shot

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Selton Miguel's jump shot

Post by gdgjr78 » January 31st, 2021, 11:43 pm

I've been trying to study his struggles shooting from the perimeter (he's not very good from the FT line either as a G at 68%) because he has a lot of offensive skills that I like. I've come to the conclusion that his shot is just too flat and no matter how much work he puts in in the gym he will never be a good shooter without changing his shot trajectory. Anyone else have a different opinion? Anybody like his shot and just think he's been unlucky?
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 1st, 2021, 12:20 am

Lol. On your last question!!! It doesn’t work that way over the long term. He shot 33.9% from 3 his senior year on 121 attempts. In 16 games. Which is enough attempts to see if he's a good shooter or not. He probably ought to have the red light in shooting 3's. Maybe the yellow light if he starts showing improvement in practice. Now he did finish pretty well inside in high school..... runners and mid range stuff.....so he ought to be trying to look for those kind of shots. What he hasn't probably adjusted to in that part of his game is the size and athleticism of the guys he has to shoot over in college.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 1st, 2021, 7:29 am

Lol yeah I dont believe the bad luck option, I trust the numbers once there is a big enough sample size. I was mainly curious if anyone else agreed with me about his shot being too flat or maybe I'm just crazy.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 1st, 2021, 8:46 am

Good question. I had not noticed the flat trajectory so will watch that some more.

I think his form is pretty good on his shot but had not looked at trajectory.

Some considerations:
1. First year player.
2. How does the move from the high school line of 19.9 ft to the new college line of 22ft 13/4 impact first year players.
3. Once you start missing it gets in your head and I think we have that issue with a number of players.

IMO, it is hard to know if a guy will be a better or worse shooter than he was in high school as now they are under stepped up weight training, different practice regimens including shooting practice. (Either better or worse than what they did in high school) And what kind of shots were they taking in high school. Guarded off the dribble or open stationary catch and shoot.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 1st, 2021, 9:00 am

If you can shoot before you got here you'll be able to shoot after you get here. And vice versa.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 1st, 2021, 9:24 am

Puffdad wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:00 am
If you can shoot before you got here you'll be able to shoot after you get here. And vice versa.
Dean Wade shot 22% from three in conference play his freshman year. How do you explain that when everyone knows he was a skilled shooter.

Freshmanitis
Adjusting to different weight training and practice regimens.
One foot further out on the shot.
Bad luck.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 1st, 2021, 10:33 am

Not enough attempts. If you shoot 42% in last 3 years, 45% in high school and 40% in the NBA...... then 54 attempts in 18 games is not enough.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 1st, 2021, 11:49 am

I think a lot of it comes down to confidence. If you have the basic mechanics and hand/eye, and take good shots what else is there. i don't think Coach Weber restricts shooting the 3 or is particularly rough on the guys when they take bad shots but there is something going on where the players seem to either not improve or shoot the 3s more poorly under his tutelage. Could it be his sideline antics throwing them off. I think it would effect me. Just saying. Something is going on.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » February 1st, 2021, 6:37 pm

Sometimes it’s hard to put the exact physics to it, but there are players, that when they shoot, it looks like it ought to go in. His does not look like that.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 1st, 2021, 9:26 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:24 am
Puffdad wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:00 am
Dean Wade shot 22% from three in conference play his freshman year. How do you explain that when everyone knows he was a skilled shooter.

Freshmanitis
Adjusting to different weight training and practice regimens.
One foot further out on the shot.
Bad luck.
Wade was a reluctant shooter in his first couple seasons. That hesitation makes a difference. And, like many freshman, he wasn’t ready for the speed of the college game. You have to be ready to shoot a little quicker. You saw him struggle with the speed on the defensive end too. He was a pretty poor defender as a frosh, out of position and a step slow. But he became a terrific defender by senior year.