gene taylor cutting salaries ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

gene taylor cutting salaries ...

Post by tmcats » April 30th, 2020, 11:07 am

kurtz's tweet doesn't make sense at the end. a 10% budget cut would be $8 million-plus. he must mean the salary cuts will result in a $2 million budget reduction. i'm not sure?

https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... df?id=7836

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1255603096702631942
Why is there something rather than nothing?

featurethefullback

Post by featurethefullback » April 30th, 2020, 3:33 pm

13% cut is not all that impressive when making $2.5 million plus. I do not find this compelling.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 30th, 2020, 4:31 pm

featurethefullback wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 3:33 pm
13% cut is not all that impressive when making $2.5 million plus. I do not find this compelling.
I hear ya. In total it helps save the university a good chunk, but it doesn’t really affect those individuals budgets to a real life changing degree.

We had to cut hourly employees back to 32 hours. You have employees that were taking home $1000-1200 every two weeks now seeing that drop $200-300 and it makes a big impact on the family budget.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 30th, 2020, 5:31 pm

perhaps we should pay everyone the same amount irrespective of their contributions, and then when things like this happen they all get the same discount.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » April 30th, 2020, 7:02 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 5:31 pm
perhaps we should pay everyone the same amount irrespective of their contributions, and then when things like this happen they all get the same discount.
Are you really that heartless? Hourly people making 30k a year are being cut to half-time.

It has long been a ‘major’ issue with how KSU treats staff on campus. It’s so bad that faculty affairs, who are people that are not even affected, was trying to rectify it. The university’s response about a year and a half ago what throw money at the loudest advocate on faculty affairs, an engineering professor, so she’d stop putting up the good fight.

This is a punch in the gut for many people. It’s hard to believe Meyers was head of the Joint Chiefs.

And outside of entertainment, what contribution does athletics make? I guarantee you that you could find someone to coach the men’s bball or football team for 100k. The multimillion dollar salaries are just a function of greed. Why not cut them in half? You can easily find someone to fill in if the coaches don’t like it.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 30th, 2020, 7:39 pm

right, why not cut them to say what a carpenter makes or maybe a truck driver, $80,000/year dang-nabit. who do they think they are making all that money anyway when a school teacher makes $50,000? nobody should make more than a school teacher.

we need an oversight board at the federal level to set these wages and make sure they are 'fair' for everyone. maybe then these rich coaches will all go away and we can put some competent cyo and aau guys in to run bruce's program and the high school coaches, the don't make any money, they could come in here and coach all those overhyped athletes. it's just sports and $14 billion is no big deal.

yep, we need a wage control board. we'll put bernie and that massachusetts senator lady in charge. they're not heartless.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » April 30th, 2020, 8:49 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 7:39 pm
right, why not cut them to say what a carpenter makes or maybe a truck driver, $80,000/year dang-nabit. who do they think they are making all that money anyway when a school teacher makes $50,000? nobody should make more than a school teacher.

we need an oversight board at the federal level to set these wages and make sure they are 'fair' for everyone. maybe then these rich coaches will all go away and we can put some competent cyo and aau guys in to run bruce's program and the high school coaches, the don't make any money, they could come in here and coach all those overhyped athletes. it's just sports and $14 billion is no big deal.

yep, we need a wage control board. we'll put bernie and that massachusetts senator lady in charge. they're not heartless.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » April 30th, 2020, 9:04 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Precisely! Coaches would be lining up to take the job. Right now there’s no supply and demand, it’s wage control via cronyism. Might be worse than government control.

You’re not up on your history are you? When it gets out of control you might find yourself facing some Bolsheviks in Democrat clothing.

I’m a pretty strong conservative, but I recognize you can’t shat on people. KSU has such a strong and extreme right influence at the top, they don’t just crap on people, they seem to celebrate it. And for the record, I’d pay a teacher more than a coach. Both education and athletics are big industries. I just think one is more important than the other. I’d also pay a doctor more than a mortician, it’s about the same comparison.

wildroychi

Post by wildroychi » May 1st, 2020, 7:45 am

...umm, school teachers don’t make $50,000 a year. Try $38,000-$40 average, if you’re lucky.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 1st, 2020, 9:11 am

Hypeman wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 7:02 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 5:31 pm
Are you really that heartless? Hourly people making 30k a year are being cut to half-time.

It has long been a ‘major’ issue with how KSU treats staff on campus. It’s so bad that faculty affairs, who are people that are not even affected, was trying to rectify it. The university’s response about a year and a half ago what throw money at the loudest advocate on faculty affairs, an engineering professor, so she’d stop putting up the good fight.

This is a punch in the gut for many people. It’s hard to believe Meyers was head of the Joint Chiefs.

And outside of entertainment, what contribution does athletics make? I guarantee you that you could find someone to coach the men’s bball or football team for 100k. The multimillion dollar salaries are just a function of greed. Why not cut them in half? You can easily find someone to fill in if the coaches don’t like it.
Manhattan is thriving because of athletics. I'm one who thinks we sometimes put to much $ into it, but the community and University have thrived the last 3 decades because of athletics.

I do agree that they are all paid too much. Nobody coaching a sport should be making 3 million, imo.