APR and Bowl Games

The defending Big XII Champions
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

APR and Bowl Games

Post by AJcat7755 » October 30th, 2017, 2:59 pm

I hate to even bring this up, because it feels not only like a defeatist attitude, but also like shooting for a low goal, but I saw the question on twitter so I thought I would at least look into it. Just like a few years ago where K-State was on the verge of not getting 6 wins for a bowl, there was an option to make a bowl with 5 wins and a high APR based on having bowl openings. There is usually about 2-4 bowl games a year that this applies for.

A lot of posters are worried that K-State can't get to 6 wins, but can they get to 5? With a APR tied for 41st at 975, there are about 28 teams ahead of K-State that have not gotten to 6 wins, but are still able to get to 5 wins. As these teams either get to 6 wins, or get 8 losses (means they can't get 5 wins) they will fall off this list. For example Boston College is already at 5 wins, 1 more and they qualify for a bowl, or Rice, who is 1-7, so 1 more loss and they are out. In 2 weeks, this list could be down in the teens, or K-State could have gotten 2 more wins themselves.

Although still feels like a terrible goal to get into a bowl with a losing record because of APR, but the extra practice time could help the future given that all of the offense returns, except Ertz. Doubt a ton of fans would attend a bowl game of a 5 win team, but it could help with brand marketing (bowl appearances/wins, etc) and other such items.

Its still way out, but what are your thoughts on K-State making a bowl with 5 wins because of APR?

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » October 30th, 2017, 3:54 pm

They should not let teams with a losing records go to bowl games. I think, however, teams that don't make a bowl should get more spring practices.
Last edited by NealyFan on October 30th, 2017, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s a tremendous challenge. The opportunity exists here today... for the greatest turnaround in college football history. And it’s not one to be taken lightly.” —- Bill Snyder

KSURFC8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KSURFC8 » October 30th, 2017, 4:42 pm

We've been saying the same thing/crap year after year and guess what, the extra practice, at least from what I've seen, hasn't paid off.

If we can't make it (i.e. coach a group of young men with loads of talent) to 6 wins, we don't deserve a bowl game and we shouldn't go.

You scenario also assumes, I think, that we'll have the same group of coaches next season. I hope the hell we don't. I've seen enough out of this group. Start in the spring, re-cock and let's get after it.

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » October 30th, 2017, 5:04 pm

This was weighing on my mind for a while yesterday. I am happy that other K-State fans are thinking the same way. What ever happen to earning it, or being to proud to accept handouts?

I will say it... I prefer we not win another game all season if there is a hint that we are willing to accept a bowl bid with a 5-7 record.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » October 30th, 2017, 7:18 pm

I would rather them not allow any team play in bowl that doesn’t have a winning record, but since they’ve created so many bowls they have to fill them somehow. Shouldn’t ever fault a team for accepting a bowl.

I think it’s ridiculous to hope they don’t win another game if they’re willing to accept a bowl should they only finish 5-7. It’s within the current rules.

Let’s hope we win more than we lose the rest the way and it’s a mute point.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » October 30th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Who's the 5th win?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » October 30th, 2017, 9:13 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:Who's the 5th win?
The K State team that played against OU in the first half of the OU game can beat any team left on the schedule. The K State team that played against KU in the first half of the KU game can lose to any team left on the schedule. All comes down to which team and coaching staff shows up week to week. JMHO
EMAW

KSURFC8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KSURFC8 » October 30th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
The K State team that played against OU in the first half of the OU game can beat any team left on the schedule. The K State team that played against KU in the first half of the KU game can lose to any team left on the schedule. All comes down to which team and coaching staff shows up week to week. JMHO
The coaching staff has probably been the most consistent all year long.

Bhoovy: Dude it's moot point. Otherwise you be speakin', just ain't nuthin' comin' out (just keeping a little Joe Cocker in mind).

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » October 30th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
Absolutely correct Tbones. For some fans if you’re not still undefeated or only one loss and still seriously in the conference championship race then you suck. Forget that 3 of the 4 losses were extremely competitive and could have easily been wins.

We looked poor against KU on the road and they came out playing it like it was their bowl game. I continue to say I don’t know that we’ll be favored in any of the remaining games unless things change quite a bit, but doesn’t mean I don’t think we can’t win any of those games.

Let’s just see what happens at Tech.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » October 31st, 2017, 7:04 am

I'll bet Tech puts 8-9 in the box. Hopefully the staff will let Skyler throw the ball, at least a little.