APR and Bowl Games

The defending Big XII Champions
highplainsdawg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: APR and Bowl Games

Post by highplainsdawg » November 1st, 2017, 11:50 am

I agree that football teams with losing records shouldn't be going to bowl games. (Personally, I believe that teams should have to have a winning records (i.e. 7 wins) to go to a bowl game. That way even losing the bowl game, the team wouldn't end with a losing record but that's a discussion for another day.)

However, as long as the opportunity for a bowl game is available for K-State, they should take it unless the team votes not to take the offer. It doesn't matter whether we agree with the policy or not.

Number8son

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » November 1st, 2017, 12:07 pm

If KSU goes to a bowl game with 5 wins, I will watch the game. I may even go to it if it's not too far away and I can work it into my schedule.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 6th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Lets revisit this now that K-State has 5 wins. K-State has good odds of winning another game though with being favored vs WVU and likely being favored against ISU.

There is currently 24 teams with a better APR then K-State still eligible to make a bowl with 5 wins. As said before, a lot will drop off because some of those require a 2-7 team (Illinois, Kent State) to win out to be eligible which won't happen and there are a few that are 1 game away from 6 wins that should get it (Louisville, Utah, Cal)

However, if K-State doesn't win another game this year, how would you feel about K-State getting into a bowl game with 5 wins if it means more playing time, practice time, etc for the team, which could include Thompson at starting QB?

NMcat

Post by NMcat » November 6th, 2017, 5:29 pm

ALL teams should get the extra practice times. The non-bowl teams need it the most.

Actually, IMO, If we are going to have "6 win" teams and even "5 win" teams in bowl games, then everyone should get a post season game.

KU vs UTEP? The Bottom Ten Championship! I want a T-shirt!

wazucat

Post by wazucat » November 6th, 2017, 6:08 pm

If offered we should go, if the players vote to accept.

People not interested in teams with poor records playing in bowls should just ignore those games .
Those of us who like college FB can savor a few more games.

BTW some of the most entertaining football games I've ever witnessed involved teams with poor records- in minor no name bowl games. Have seen the lead change 3 times in the last 2 minutes of a game more than once, if the players are motivated it can be very entertaining to watch.

Wildcat69

Post by Wildcat69 » November 6th, 2017, 9:24 pm

How in the hell would we be favored on the road at Iowa State where they are a better team and record? That is crazy!
ajcksu82 wrote:Lets revisit this now that K-State has 5 wins. K-State has good odds of winning another game though with being favored vs WVU and likely being favored against ISU.

There is currently 24 teams with a better APR then K-State still eligible to make a bowl with 5 wins. As said before, a lot will drop off because some of those require a 2-7 team (Illinois, Kent State) to win out to be eligible which won't happen and there are a few that are 1 game away from 6 wins that should get it (Louisville, Utah, Cal)

However, if K-State doesn't win another game this year, how would you feel about K-State getting into a bowl game with 5 wins if it means more playing time, practice time, etc for the team, which could include Thompson at starting QB?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » November 7th, 2017, 8:23 am

"How in the hell would we be favored on the road at Iowa State where they are a better team and record? That is crazy!"

ISU is at home. Remember 2 years ago when Rhodes gave us a win at the end and got fired? (deservedly so after losing that game). I see we're a 1.5 pt fav over WVU. Doesn't that really mean we're the dog if you figure 3 pts for home field?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » November 7th, 2017, 9:51 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:"How in the hell would we be favored on the road at Iowa State where they are a better team and record? That is crazy!"

ISU is at home. Remember 2 years ago when Rhodes gave us a win at the end and got fired? (deservedly so after losing that game). I see we're a 1.5 pt fav over WVU. Doesn't that really mean we're the dog if you figure 3 pts for home field?
No, it still means K-State is a favorite by 1.5 pts, but it says that betters think that WVU is 1.5 points better on a neutral field.

Given that WVU beat ISU, and KSU is favored over WVU, as of now I would think KSU would also be favored over ISU at home. Now that changes based on what happens this weekend with WVU, but I also expect ISU to lose to OSU which could break their spirit now that they are no longer in the title chase. Its also senior day, and KSU has beat ISU 9 times in a row, and K-State could be fighting for the last win to make a bowl, and who knows, could be Snyder's last game. Any number of things could happen between now and then.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 7th, 2017, 12:42 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:"How in the hell would we be favored on the road at Iowa State where they are a better team and record? That is crazy!"

i was curious how you'd react to the win at tech. i see you've taken a positive and turned it negative nonetheless. you must be a have a wonderful life. do you flip burgers well?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » November 7th, 2017, 10:17 pm

"i was curious how you'd react to the win at tech. i see you've taken a positive and turned it negative nonetheless. you must be a have a wonderful life. do you flip burgers well?"

WTH are you talking about? I'm tickled to death with the win....NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD HAPPEN IN JONES STADIUM!!! Only got to listen to a little of the first half and had goose bumps before I had to go to work. I thought it would be shootout, wouldn't have surprised me if TTU went for 700+ against our "bend and break" defense (players are just fine by the way, system sucks).

I simply had a question on the "line" as I'm not a gambler and don't understand any of the jargon. I was hoping someone would make sense of it for me (thanks 82).

I've been known to flip a burger or two in my lifetime and I do a pretty damn fine job of it thank you.

BTW, I think it's time for Bill to retire. I don't really care if Sean gets the job or not but I don't think being the best special teams in the country is going to get us where we want to go.

I'll travel to any bowl to watch the 'cats play although I think there are WAY too many bowl games out there. If another game is wanted, let them play another regular season on.