Snyder legacy

The defending Big XII Champions
Opensource
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snyder legacy

Post by Opensource » October 8th, 2017, 8:19 am

Bill will always be known for the turn around. But, if he doesn’t go out with grace quickly he will soon be known as the hanger on. The Big 12 just upgraded coaches and there are are only a few teams that Snyder will be able to out coach with his recruiting even in his best days.

Wildcat69

Post by Wildcat69 » October 8th, 2017, 8:38 am

If the cats don't make a bowl this year will that be the end of Snyder 2.0? I just don't buy it that a a 78 year old man is still leading this team. We know he won't fire his coordinators in this buddy system. All the good recruits are going elsewhere because they are not sure of the coaching in the future. At some point you have to change before the program goes completely in the tank.

ksusmcsgtmaj

Pick 'Em

Post by ksusmcsgtmaj » October 8th, 2017, 8:45 am

Love me some Snyder, but when its time, its time. The last few years have NOT been carbon copies of Snyder 1.0 with regard to personnel, in-game adjustments, playcalling, or game management.

-I can remember in the late 90's early 2000s announcers used to croon over Snyder's halftime adjustments...not so much anymore

-When he came over from Iowa he was known for his crazy passing schemes and such, and we saw it with the likes of Chad May right out the box...not so much anymore

-He used to find the "diamonds in the rough" type players, particularly from the jucos...now everyone is on the juco track, so advantage lost.

-Strength and conditioning used to be a highlight. Stories of players coming to campus early, and staying through the holidays and such...can't say 100% if that has changed, but this team does not have any freaks of nature or game changers that would indicate this sort of commitment.

-Other teams put their best players/athletes on the field. Apparently, KSU puts more stock in tenure than talent these days - last night proved that point when Delton finally got an opportunity.

-KSU used to be a disciplined team. Bad calls aside, this team makes a lot of mistakes, and that is another indication that Bill is not as engaged as he once was.

I'm of the opinion that Bill is more of a figurehead now than a head coach. I don't remember a lot of the above happening in 1.0, but then again, I was fairly young in the late 90s...it just seems like the decisions being made (play calling, adjustments, time management, offense/defense scheme) are part of what made KSU special early on, and those are missing now. Remember those attacking defenses under Stoops and Bennett? We are almost a complete 180 from that now. Anyone else notice how often he is conferring with Sean on the sidelines during the game? Foreshadowing? Personally, I don't think Bill is the problem...I think the "lack" of Bill is the problem. I believe its time to move on, but if/when he does, the university better hit a home run with an awesome hire.

KStateguy

Post by KStateguy » October 8th, 2017, 9:19 am

What guys are out there that would be better than Bill? I need names

ksusmcsgtmaj

Pick 'Em

Post by ksusmcsgtmaj » October 8th, 2017, 9:32 am

So do I.

The sad reality might be "no one."

How many other coaches would be willing to spend 20 years at the same school, passing up NFL gigs and undoubtedly better college gigs? Probably no one. It sucks to get old. It sucks we'll lose a legend at some point...but we will.

I have no answer for you.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » October 8th, 2017, 9:44 am

Even Ron Prince got us to a bowl and beat good UT teams regularly, there are good young coaches available to us who can be successful, do not despair.

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » October 8th, 2017, 11:12 am

KStateguy wrote:What guys are out there that would be better than Bill? I need names
Better than lhcbs at 77 years old? Im sure there's a few
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

KStateguy

Post by KStateguy » October 8th, 2017, 11:14 am

I will take a tired, older Snyder over a young, greenhorn who nobody has ever heard of that has no HCing experience everyday of the week. Obviously if it is somebody like Venables or another Coordinator who can recruit and has a name people know, I am all for it. But until then who out there is available if Bill stepped down? Give me a name.

The old "I am sure there is somebody out there" answer is a gamble I would not be willing to take and set us back even further.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » October 8th, 2017, 11:54 am

Names? Don’t know. But, Iowa State got one. Texas got one. TCU found one a while ago. We need to find one.

Wildcat69

Post by Wildcat69 » October 8th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Where is the North Dakota State coach that beat out ass? Craig Bohl? He seems like a tough hard nosed coach perfect for Manhattan - a younger Jim Leavitt type of guy