Original Big XII vs Original SEC

The defending Big XII Champions
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Original Big XII vs Original SEC

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 14th, 2024, 8:40 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... lundquist/

After reading Verne Lundquist's good-bye to the SEC. I lament the Big XII was always bickering about money or Texas or time slots and they never developed a continuity like the SEC did on CBS for the late Saturday afternoon time slot.

To this day I believe the original 12 rivaled in tradition, championships, and especially academics the SEC of 1994.

Sorry Sunday night lament.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 14th, 2024, 9:40 pm

Yep there was a time the Big12 didn’t take a back seat to any conference. When Nebraska was in their hay day along with OU and UT and those nipping at their heels with KSU, OSU CU and even Missouri. I know there were many factors and UT’s arrogance and ignorance was at the top, but if they had all stayed together and instead of creating LHN had created the Big12 network, like the SEC network, I think they’re still on even footing with both the Big10 and SEC.

I’m just glad our conference had enough resolve to not dissolve and give into the idea of heading for supposed greener pastures. I really think with the expanded playoffs this new conference starting next year can make big time noise. And what if the Big12 wins the national championship in its first year? It’s going to really stir things up. And if somehow both the teams in the championship were from the Big12?? Oh boy. I know it’s a dream but don’t wake me up.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
WildcatEngineerstlcatfan

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 15th, 2024, 10:17 am

BH, great post
- in 1994 I could not believe the OU vs NU Football rivalry was broken up. That was beyond stupid.
- People forget just how bad Baylor was in 1994. Looking back they should not have been the 12th team.
- Big XII never went after Arkansas or LSU or even Iowa as the 12th member when the conference was in a position of power.
- People forget that in 1994 South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Mississippi State were not programs of great wealth, success, or power.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanbhoovy