Sean Snyder

The defending Big XII Champions
KSUbetcha

Re: Sean Snyder

Post by KSUbetcha » February 1st, 2024, 6:51 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
January 29th, 2024, 3:41 pm
Question: Could the downplaying of special teams be partially caused by the kickoff rules that dictate that few kickoffs are returned anymore?

I know there's a lot more to special teams than returning kickoffs, but kickoffs, while admittedly dangerous, always hold the potential for a game-changing moment.
I don't think that special teams are necessarily downgraded in importance. If they are, why are most team's placekickers the highest total point producing player on their roster? (field goals, extra points, etc.) Even if they are not producing points, other special teams players like punters, are valued higher if they can consistently put the other team at a disadvantage. As evidenced by punters having a good propensity to routinely punt the ball inside the twenty yard line, or out of bounds where the other team has no chance to return it?

All that special teams sounds pretty important to me, and could easily be the difference between victory and defeat.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 1st, 2024, 10:57 am

I think we should offer a position to Sean. After all the Snyders have done for K-State it would be a good thing to have Sean involved. I'm sure he has value given his experience and Involvement in our program as an AA player, Great ST Coach, advisor to his Dad and all of the inside information only those closest to Bill would know.

I have felt at times that Coach Klieman didn't want ties to the Snyder era and to assure this was his program. I think he should know that by now and this may be the right time to embrace the Snyder legacy while Bill is here to see it. Snyder special teams were really special. Klieman special teams are solid, but not special. Sean could help IMO.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
Snyderstlcatfan

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 1st, 2024, 12:08 pm

Taking a coaching position for the Cats would put Sean in a really awkward position. I doubt he'd take the ST job if it was offered, but what do I know?
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
KSUbetcha

Snyder

Post by Snyder » February 1st, 2024, 12:33 pm

katlander wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 10:57 am
I think we should offer a position to Sean. After all the Snyders have done for K-State it would be a good thing to have Sean involved. I'm sure he has value given his experience and Involvement in our program as an AA player, Great ST Coach, advisor to his Dad and all of the inside information only those closest to Bill would know.

I have felt at times that Coach Klieman didn't want ties to the Snyder era and to assure this was his program. I think he should know that by now and this may be the right time to embrace the Snyder legacy while Bill is here to see it. Snyder special teams were really special. Klieman special teams are solid, but not special. Sean could help IMO.
100% agreement on this. Sean still loves K-State and has never been driven to be a head coach. He loves the actual on field aspect of coaching kickers, punters and x and o of return game.
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post:
KSUbetcha

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 1st, 2024, 1:34 pm

I don't have a problem with bringing Sean into the athletic department if he is the best person for the job, but I don't think Coach Klieman should feel as though he has to bring Sean in to a spot in the football program just because of his last name. Coach Klieman is the head coach and should be given full authority to hire whoever he wants for all spots available because he is the one responsible for the program.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
kswildcat

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 1st, 2024, 1:43 pm

katlander wrote:

This has been said in other topics but Sean was not the reason for the good special teams. This has been said by several former players. He was in charge of kicking and had administrative duties. But he didn’t coordinate and run the entire special teams units, just coached the kickers. It’s not meant to slight him, but about the truth.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
kswildcat

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 1st, 2024, 1:47 pm

the department has closed the snyder chapter of k-state football. i can't imagine them reopening it.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
kswildcatwazucat
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 2nd, 2024, 11:31 am

tmcats wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 1:47 pm
the department has closed the snyder chapter of k-state football. i can't imagine them reopening it.
What? This makes no sense. Ever heard of Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Better take that statue down. I don't think the vast majority of fans would agree. Maybe it is best not to offer the job to Sean, but I think we need better and more specific rationale. It is Coach Klein's call, but I think it could be a good thing on multiple fronts.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 2nd, 2024, 11:39 am

bhoovy wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 1:43 pm
katlander wrote:

This has been said in other topics but Sean was not the reason for the good special teams. This has been said by several former players. He was in charge of kicking and had administrative duties. But he didn’t coordinate and run the entire special teams units, just coached the kickers. It’s not meant to slight him, but about the truth.

Evidently this view is not shared by all. Sean had USC at #1 Special Teams unit in the nation. I suppose he didn't really do that either.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=db703e12 ... Vhcg&ntb=1

Snyder spent more than two decades at Kansas State, where his father, Bill Snyder, was a legendary head coach. Snyder began at Kansas State as a part-time assistant coach in 1994 and 1995, then served as director of football operations from 1996 to 1998, assistant athletic director for football operations in 1999 and 2000, associate athletic director in 2001 and senior associate athletic director from 2002 to 2010. He served as special teams coordinator/associate head coach from 2011-18 and special teams analyst in 2019 before moving to USC.

During his tenure, Kansas State ranked in the Top 15 of the ESPN Special Teams Efficiency rating 5 times, including first in 2017, second in 2015 and third in 2012. The Wildcats also were in the Top 25 of the Football Outsiders Special Teams Rating 6 times since 2011, including first in 2017, third in 2014 and 2019 and sixth in 2012. Snyder was named the national Special Teams Coordinator of the Year in 2015 by FootballScoop and Phil Steele and in 2017 by Phil Steele.

In 2020, USC’s special teams were ranked No.1 nationally by Football Outsider and the Trojans were in the national Top 25 in NCAA statistics in kickoff return defense (10th at 17.0) and net punting (25th at 40.8). True freshman Parker Lewis was 20th nationally in field goals (1.6), Gary Bryant Jr. (also a true freshman) was 22nd in kickoff returns (26.2), Ben Griffith’s 46.4 punting average was the highest by a Trojan since 2003 and snapper Damon Johnson was a Mannelly Award finalist.

Under Snyder, Kansas State’s special teams units set or tied 8 team records and 20 individual marks. He coached 4 Big 12 Special Teams Players of the Year, including 3 consecutive (returners Tyler Lockett in 2013 and 2014, Morgan Burns in 2015 and Joshua Youngblood in 2019). Lockett, who now plays for the Seattle Seahawks, was an All-American first team kickoff returner in 2011 and punt returner in 2014. Burns earned All-American first team honors in 2015 as a kick returner when he led the country in kickoff return touchdowns (4). Youngblood was a Freshman All-American first teamer in 2019 when he ran back 3 kickoffs for TDs and helped Kansas State top the nation in kickoff return average (29.5). Placekicker Matthew McCrane was a Freshman All-American first teamer in 2014 and All-Big 12 first team pick in 2017, while kicker Jack Cantele made the All-Big 12 first team in 2015. Kick returner Byron Pringle was All-Big 12 first team in 2016 and returner D.J. Reed was so honored in 2017.
Last edited by katlander on February 2nd, 2024, 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 2nd, 2024, 11:46 am

katlander wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 11:31 am
tmcats wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 1:47 pm
What? This makes no sense. Ever heard of Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Better take that statue down. I don't think the vast majority of fans would agree. Maybe it is best not to offer the job to Sean, but I think we need better and more specific rationale. It is Coach Klein's call, but I think it could be a good thing on multiple fronts.
coach klein is at aTm now. maybe you meant klieman?

bill's departure, you may have forgotten, was not nice. he was effectively terminated. he wanted sean as head coach. when gene taylor said nope and hired chris klieman, sean was put in an administrative role, then left k-state for illinois. that door's not reopening.
Why is there something rather than nothing?