Streaming - Sports - Bankruptcy -2024

The defending Big XII Champions
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Streaming - Sports - Bankruptcy -2024

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 17th, 2024, 12:54 pm

https://www.kmbc.com/article/amazon-bal ... %20banner.

NEW YORK —
Kansas City Royals games are about to be much easier to stream online.

Amazon will partner with Diamond Sports as part of a restructuring agreement as the largest owner of regional sports networks looks to emerge from bankruptcy.

Diamond owns 18 networks under the Bally Sports banner. Those networks have the rights to 37 professional teams — 11 baseball, 15 NBA and 11 NHL.

======================
This is one more brick in the future of sport viewing for America. The term Bankruptcy was not used in the demise of the Pac 12. But the Bally's and Disney financial situations had an influence on the bidders for Pac 12 media rights. This is another reason why Commissioner Yormark was a good manager in getting The Big XII a contract.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanKSUbetcharandallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 17th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Unfortunately, streaming of NFL games was just the tip of the iceberg. With the reported, ~38 Million people that watched the Chiefs v. Miami Dolphins Wildcard Playoff game last weekend on Peacock, streaming sports is going to become more & more prevalent.
Last edited by KSUbetcha on January 17th, 2024, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
stlcatfan

Catalum

Post by Catalum » January 17th, 2024, 4:21 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
January 17th, 2024, 4:13 pm
Unfortunately, streaming of NFL games was just thr tip of the iceberg. With the reported, ~38 Million people that watched the Chiefs v. Miami Dolphins Wildcard Playoff game last weekend on Peacock, streaming sports is going to become more & more prevalent.
I assume there is a lot more money to be made via streaming platforms vs television ads on OTA network TV.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post:
stlcatfan

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 17th, 2024, 5:49 pm

Catalum wrote:
January 17th, 2024, 4:21 pm
KSUbetcha wrote:
January 17th, 2024, 4:13 pm
Unfortunately, streaming of NFL games was just thr tip of the iceberg. With the reported, ~38 Million people that watched the Chiefs v. Miami Dolphins Wildcard Playoff game last weekend on Peacock, streaming sports is going to become more & more prevalent.
I assume there is a lot more money to be made via streaming platforms vs television ads on OTA network TV.
Especially when they insert ads on streaming platforms.
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 17th, 2024, 10:25 pm

https://www.themirror.com/sport/america ... off-292652

NBC and Peacock will have a lot of catching up to do if they want to compete with traditional broadcasting numbers. After it was revealed that Peacock's coverage of the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins Wild Card matchup drew record numbers to the app, the full extent of how much it has to catch up was fully revealed Wednesday.

While the Chiefs-Dolphins matchup attracted an audience of approximately 23 million users, that pales in comparison to what the other Wild Card Weekend games drew in. The Cleveland Browns game against the Houston Texans earlier Saturday garnered approximately 29 million viewers on NBC.

--------------------------------
Our Pop Tart Bowl drew 4.3 million? That makes one understand the fees colleges charge versus the NFL.

I also believe NBC does not have to split anything with the cable provider for Peacock.

NatCat2
Has thanked: 0

Post by NatCat2 » January 18th, 2024, 8:25 am

The Chiefs game on Peacock drew 23 mil. The over the air broadcast for the Packers- Cowboys game had 40 mil.
The Chiefs almost always have the top viewership in the NFL for over the air broadcasts. I’ve read it’s estimated the over the air numbers for the Chiefs-Miami game on a Saturday night would have been close to 50 mil.
So Peacock can announce the game was the largest draw for any streaming event of all time. Which I’m sure it was. But it’s HALF of what it would have been for over the air.
Also, the game was broadcast over the air in the KC area and it drew 53%, meaning over half the TVs in KC had the game on. Streaming has a long way to go before it gets numbers like over the air.
BTW - I watched the game at a friends house who got a sign on to Peacock from his girlfriend. I wonder how many people shared their sign ons with people who don’t have Peacock.
These users thanked the author NatCat2 for the post (total 3):
CatTracksbhoovyrandallcat85

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 18th, 2024, 8:39 am

NC, you are correct, sharing sign on data is an issue. NetFlix went through a purge on subscribers with multiple IP addresses.

Then you run into the issue of "How do you define a family".

I assume eventually it will come down to a subscription can log into 2 or 3 IP addresses simultaneously. That is going to take a significant amount of memory to track all of that.

bahweepgronnaweep

Post by bahweepgronnaweep » January 18th, 2024, 3:29 pm

I decided to all the way through the links to the NBC press release here: https://corporate.comcast.com/press/rel ... nal%20data.

They mention 16.3 million concurrent devices which is pretty good. I don't think anybody should really care about login sharing at this point though. NBCs streaming engineering team is definitely the worst out of all of the streamers, but it's not hard to restrict login sharing if and when they want to.

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » January 18th, 2024, 3:56 pm

"Diamond owns 18 networks under the Bally Sports banner. Those networks have the rights to 37 professional teams — 11 baseball, 15 NBA and 11 NHL."

Dozens will tune in :D
Sorry I couldn't resist I know everybody has different interests, sure many of you like these sports. Me personally I'd rather watch paint dry than anything these 3 leagues can offer me..

I'm sure I'll miss several K-State B-ball games when back in country since they'll most likely be on espn+. If College Football goes to streaming - just one more nail in the coffin of my sports watching days. Oh well. They may figure it out after the golden goose has been cooked.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 18th, 2024, 5:31 pm

those of you still on cable or satellite and not youtubetv or other streaming service are really missing out. you're paying double or more what you should and getting half the content you would on youtubetv. it's not difficult to stream. it's easy. it works seamlessly with proper internet capacity. and it's far, far less expensive. staying with cable or directv or dish is illogical in today's market.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell