KSU Portal - Where Are They Now

The defending Big XII Champions
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: KSU Portal - Where Are They Now

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 5th, 2024, 10:54 am

katlander wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:52 am
I don't think it would be wise to insert Avery into Will Howard's offense. He is a much different quarterback than Will. We need an offense which allows him to utilize his talent and expand his game going forward. More movement, athleticism and QB run game is what will set Avery apart.

His runs should utilize his speed and sliding and or getting out of bounds to avoid contact. I like the idea of many receivers, an empty backfield and short passes to create a fast paced attack which keeps defenses on their heels and wears down the pass rush. I think Avery is a quick thinker who will make intuitive decisions that will compliment a fast pace attack.

Hopefully we are not disappointed, but I expect AJ to be to the QB position what Deuce was at running back.
================
I respectfully totally disagree. We need to run a Pro-Style Offense and Avery needs to learn to throw from the pocket. We need to protect him and develop his skills so there are big plays both passing and running.

One of the negatives from the Klein era was we never ran the ball well from the RB position in the years that followed.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » January 5th, 2024, 11:07 am

katlander wrote:
I don't think it would be wise to insert Avery into Will Howard's offense. He is a much different quarterback than Will. We need an offense which allows him to utilize his talent and expand his game going forward. More movement, athleticism and QB run game is what will set Avery apart.

His runs should utilize his speed and sliding and or getting out of bounds to avoid contact. I like the idea of many receivers, an empty backfield and short passes to create a fast paced attack which keeps defenses on their heels and wears down the pass rush. I think Avery is a quick thinker who will make intuitive decisions that will compliment a fast pace attack.

Hopefully we are not disappointed, but I expect AJ to be to the QB position what Deuce was at running back.
I agree, kat. We now have a QB that can lead a less-conservative offense. Let's open things up and become more dynamic. Maybe our first play can become something other than a run between the tackles!

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » January 5th, 2024, 11:12 am

And W E, I don't think being more dynamic excludes running a pro-style offense. Lots of short, quick passes from a pro set and just a few designated QB runs when we need to change the pace. It's gonna be exciting.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 5th, 2024, 12:13 pm

i was pleased when andre ware, i believe it was, said avery johnson was up to 188# from the one-seventy-five he carried coming to mhk. if he gets to around two hundred by fall, that will be a good thing because added muscle allows him to take the blows coming in b12 play. his frame is the only negative i can see in the youngster.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 5th, 2024, 12:25 pm

kswildcat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 11:12 am
And W E, I don't think being more dynamic excludes running a pro-style offense. Lots of short, quick passes from a pro set and just a few designated QB runs when we need to change the pace. It's gonna be exciting.
I do not disagree with that. And the other play that we need to practice and run it fluidly is OPTION.

Chiefs and Ravens both execute QB run and Option. But they attempt to concentrate on passing from the pocket.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
kswildcat

topekacat

Post by topekacat » January 5th, 2024, 1:19 pm

kswildcat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 11:07 am
katlander wrote:

I agree, kat. We now have a QB that can lead a less-conservative offense. Let's open things up and become more dynamic. Maybe our first play can become something other than a run between the tackles!
It would help if we had dynamic WRs. With Ben gone our passing game scares me.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 5th, 2024, 1:33 pm

topekacat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:19 pm
kswildcat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 11:07 am

weird take. garrett oakley will be entering his sophomore year and has had nothing but rave reviews. jayce brown is coming off a stud freshman season. jadon jackson returns after a solid year. and keagan johnson's uber aptitude awaits an injury free season. plus, two four-star incoming freshmen. :|
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
PurpleOnWhiterandallcat85

NatCat2
Has thanked: 0

Post by NatCat2 » January 5th, 2024, 1:43 pm

Beat me to it TM. Add in Spivey and Davis.
AJ has a good arm and it’ll get used.

topekacat

Post by topekacat » January 5th, 2024, 1:44 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:33 pm
topekacat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:19 pm

weird take. garrett oakley will be entering his sophomore year and has had nothing but rave reviews. jayce brown is coming off a stud freshman season. jadon jackson returns after a solid year. and keagan johnson's uber aptitude awaits an injury free season. plus, two four-star incoming freshmen. :|
We say the same thing every year. These stats are from Ryan Wallace over at the GPC page and show the receiving leaders over the past 5 years. Not exactly dynamic.

2023 = Ben Sinnott (676)
2022 = Malik Knowles (725)
2021 = Phillip Brooks (543)
2020 = Deuce Vaughn (434)
2019 = Dalton Schoen (579)

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 5th, 2024, 1:47 pm

topekacat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:44 pm
tmcats wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:33 pm

We say the same thing every year. These stats are from Ryan Wallace over at the GPC page and show the receiving leaders over the past 5 years. Not exactly dynamic.

2023 = Ben Sinnott (676)
2022 = Malik Knowles (725)
2021 = Phillip Brooks (543)
2020 = Deuce Vaughn (434)
2019 = Dalton Schoen (579)
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85