So where will the Jaysquawkers. mutant chickens, play next year?

The defending Big XII Champions
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: So where will the Jaysquawkers. mutant chickens, play next year?

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 6th, 2024, 6:52 pm

The transparency on the finances of this project have been HORRIBLE. The Board of Regents, KU Endowment, KU Athletic Department, and the Kansas Department of Commerce need to open their books.

In the end I predict KU Endowment will pay over half of this project and the East Side + Hotel will not happen for at least a decade.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 6th, 2024, 7:34 pm

wild@nite wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 12:38 pm
Snyder wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 11:35 am

I don't see KU winning in Manhattan this fall. I'm not sure Daniels is an upgrade over Bean at QB
Agreed on Bean/ Daniels, however, neither played vs us this year. Still think we win this year, but we gotta keep our edge and not take this series for granted.
I had seen a tweet that there was a good chance Daniels doesn’t play at all this year but can’t seem to find it now. Anyone else see or hear anything?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 7th, 2024, 2:35 am

bhoovy wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 7:34 pm
wild@nite wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 12:38 pm

Agreed on Bean/ Daniels, however, neither played vs us this year. Still think we win this year, but we gotta keep our edge and not take this series for granted.
I had seen a tweet that there was a good chance Daniels doesn’t play at all this year but can’t seem to find it now. Anyone else see or hear anything?
I saw that, but think it was just someone trying to stir the pot. A friend showed it to me. It seemed like a troll job to me.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
bhoovy

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 7th, 2024, 7:35 am

How the heck is KU getting a pretty much brand new stadiium for $400 million (LJW says costs are now $448 million). In the end, costs will probably rise over $500 million, which is a steal IMO when most pro-renovations are more than $1 billion. Is there some shenanigans going on in Larryville that should concern Kansans?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 83188.html

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 7th, 2024, 8:47 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 6:52 pm
The transparency on the finances of this project have been HORRIBLE. The Board of Regents, KU Endowment, KU Athletic Department, and the Kansas Department of Commerce need to open their books.

In the end I predict KU Endowment will pay over half of this project and the East Side + Hotel will not happen for at least a decade.
I am surprised that the KS Dept of Corrections were not a listed agency. Parts of the facility could be dual purpose. Allen Fieldhouse was used as armory
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
KSUbetcha

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 7th, 2024, 7:51 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 7:35 am
How the heck is KU getting a pretty much brand new stadiium for $400 million (LJW says costs are now $448 million). In the end, costs will probably rise over $500 million, which is a steal IMO when most pro-renovations are more than $1 billion. Is there some shenanigans going on in Larryville that should concern Kansans?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 83188.html
a) it is only a 40,000 seat stadium
b) it is only 2/3 of a stadium
c) the infrastructure although old is already in place
d) I do not know what the Convention Center entails, but unless they close the street I have no idea where people will park.

Be thankful of the KSU Athletic Department Financial situation.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanwazucat

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 18th, 2024, 11:31 am

https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/2024/ ... y-project/

"However, KU is not making any firm commitments to remodel or refurbish the east side of the stadium. Goff told the crowd that decision involves finding a private development partner interested in building amenities and mixed uses at the site.

As the Journal-World reported in March, KU leaders now believe retailers, restaurants and other amenities envisioned for the eastern edge of the football stadium site are likely to develop more slowly than once expected. Higher interest rates, the type charged by lenders, has caused the handful of private developers considering the project to become less aggressive, Chancellor Douglas Girod told the Journal-World last month."
==========
To me this says the $50+$25 million grant the state of Kansas gave KU for Economic Development is already a failure.

This thing is looking more and more like "Goff's Goof".
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 18th, 2024, 11:39 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:31 am
https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/2024/ ... y-project/

"However, KU is not making any firm commitments to remodel or refurbish the east side of the stadium. Goff told the crowd that decision involves finding a private development partner interested in building amenities and mixed uses at the site.

As the Journal-World reported in March, KU leaders now believe retailers, restaurants and other amenities envisioned for the eastern edge of the football stadium site are likely to develop more slowly than once expected. Higher interest rates, the type charged by lenders, has caused the handful of private developers considering the project to become less aggressive, Chancellor Douglas Girod told the Journal-World last month."
==========
To me this says the $50+$25 million grant the state of Kansas gave KU for Economic Development is already a failure.

This thing is looking more and more like "Goff's Goof".
Great use of our tax dollars. :roll:
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 18th, 2024, 11:42 am

wow, it seems like a poorly executed scramble rather than a fully funded and well planned renovation. it feels like ku went out on a limb because it was necessary to keep coach leipold in town and now their lack of planning and resources is catching up with the realities of execution.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanWildcatEngineer
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 18th, 2024, 12:20 pm

Jeff Fuller
@jjfuller72
New EADA data

Grand Total Athletic Revenue (survey year 2022 in Millions):

New-look Big12:

Kansas $ 206
TCU $ 149
Arizona $ 139
Baylor $ 137
Colorado $ 136
ASU $ 128
Texas Tech $ 124
Okla St $ 119
Utah $ 111
BYU $ 106
WVU $ 103
Kansas St $ 102
Iowa St $ 93
UCF $ 88
Houston $ 84
Cincy $ 77

Observations:
-Kansas had a HUGE jump up from $125M the prior year (assume this was mostly the fundraising and/or allocated dollars for the new FB Stadium)
-New 4 corner schools mostly in top half
-BYU/UCF/Houston/Cincy tracking lower partly due to relatively minimal conf payouts vs P5 conf teams & should rise as payouts rise (half share this summer & next; full-share after that)

Source EADA Website
https://ope.ed.gov/athletics
-Usually EADA data roughly matches USAToday/Sportico data listed as the next year (i.e. 2022 EADA survey year ~matches 2023 USAToday)
-EADA lists data for ALL schools while private schools don't report to USAToday/Sportico database
9:20 AM · Apr 18, 2024
·
Views
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?