Alarming KSU portal stat...

The defending Big XII Champions
Gorhoops

Re: Alarming KSU portal stat...

Post by Gorhoops » April 17th, 2024, 12:28 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 10:56 am
ryan and other media live off the work of others. it's amazing to me the market rewards their activity as it does, when fans can these days get the news directly from the horse's mouth and draw their own conclusions. but we've seen how effective they are in demonizing guys like the college president, bruce weber, and others. so i guess their interpretations for us work.

I don't want to get into a silly argument and I am not defending Ryan Wallace, but Ryan is providing information to KSU fans that we cannot get from the horses mouth. I listen to him to hear about high school players, which I enjoy because I am a high school coach. You may be right about people like Fitz, Kurtz, etc, but not Wallace. I cannot hear about high school players from the horses mouth until they actually sign with KSU. But he talks about a lot of kids, not just KSU recruits, which I enjoy. If you don't want to listen, don't, but also, I don't think you need to put every member of the local media into one category and act like they are all the same and all do the same things because that is not true.

Plus, to be honest, sometimes it is nice to hear from more of a neutral observer because if you just get it from the horses mouth, when was the last time you heard a coach say anything negative about a player?? Sometimes I want to hear that CJ Jones is great at attacking the basket with his right hand, but he is weaker with his left, therefore he often will go to a pull-up jumper if forced left rather than attacking the rim. Fact is, I am not going to hear that from Coach Tang at this point, but I want the truth, not just to go into the season thinking every player is Michael Jordan.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2024, 12:46 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:28 pm
tmcats wrote:
ryan and other media live off the work of others. it's amazing to me the market rewards their activity as it does, when fans can these days get the news directly from the horse's mouth and draw their own conclusions. but we've seen how effective they are in demonizing guys like the college president, bruce weber, and others. so i guess their interpretations for us work.

I don't want to get into a silly argument and I am not defending Ryan Wallace, but Ryan is providing information to KSU fans that we cannot get from the horses mouth. I listen to him to hear about high school players, which I enjoy because I am a high school coach. You may be right about people like Fitz, Kurtz, etc, but not Wallace. I cannot hear about high school players from the horses mouth until they actually sign with KSU. But he talks about a lot of kids, not just KSU recruits, which I enjoy. If you don't want to listen, don't, but also, I don't think you need to put every member of the local media into one category and act like they are all the same and all do the same things because that is not true.

Plus, to be honest, sometimes it is nice to hear from more of a neutral observer because if you just get it from the horses mouth, when was the last time you heard a coach say anything negative about a player?? Sometimes I want to hear that CJ Jones is great at attacking the basket with his right hand, but he is weaker with his left, therefore he often will go to a pull-up jumper if forced left rather than attacking the rim. Fact is, I am not going to hear that from Coach Tang at this point, but I want the truth, not just to go into the season thinking every player is Michael Jordan.
again, i find this fascinating that there's demand for this information wondering in my head what value it brings to the market to be rewarded with dollars? we are not all the same, thankfully. and for some this is obviously worthy of payment. i get that. for me it is not because it becomes public information soon enough, or i see it with my own eyes and interpret it myself - like with the president litton matter. i have no time for shit stirring media like fitz and kurtz, and candidly wonder what drives others to support them.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 17th, 2024, 1:03 pm

tmcats wrote:
It's also amazing to me how some people just go digging, trying to stir up an argument. If digging up an old thread wasn't enough, we can't let go of basketball issues on the football board. I guess we're both amazed, and apparently, one of us is ultra bored.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2024, 1:05 pm

wild@nite wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 1:03 pm
tmcats wrote:
It's also amazing to me how some people just go digging, trying to stir up an argument. If digging up an old thread wasn't enough, we can't let go of basketball issues on the football board. I guess we're both amazed, and apparently, one of us is ultra bored.
yeah, point taken. there's not much going on presently so we find old fodder to throw around. i get that, wild.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 17th, 2024, 1:48 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
tmcats wrote:

I agree. A lot of times I wonder about a player who has been around a while but you never hear his name. The coaches tell you about guys making great progress but I often have wondered about players. Right now I am curious about Gavin Meyers from Hayes and Tyson Struber from Canton-Galva among others. I watch depth charts and listen to coach interviews but nada.Do they lack speed or quickness or have they been injured. Not sure where you get this information.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
randallcat85

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 17th, 2024, 2:03 pm

katlander wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 1:48 pm
Gorhoops wrote:

I agree. A lot of times I wonder about a player who has been around a while but you never hear his name. The coaches tell you about guys making great progress but I often have wondered about players. Right now I am curious about Gavin Meyers from Hayes and Tyson Struber from Canton-Galva among others. I watch depth charts and listen to coach interviews but nada.Do they lack speed or quickness or have they been injured. Not sure where you get this information.

I know Struber has been moved to LB, so he is probably just now starting to figure out the landscape of that position. No clue about Meyers, but you are right, you sure don't ever hear his name mentioned. Another guy in this boat for me is Terry Kirksey. When he signed out of Hutch juco last year, some were saying he would be Deuce Green's replacement before we found out Deuce was returning. But even with all of our injuries at LB, he never got a sniff and has never been mentioned by a coach that I have heard, although I did hear Sigle mention him the other day, but that may just be that they are buddies.

And tm, I don't pay for Go Powercat or any of those things, I only listen to what is free or what is on Spotify, which I do pay for, but there are a lot of things I use on spotify beyond just KSU stuff.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 17th, 2024, 2:07 pm

Here are the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes. Many names I do not recognize.

I am sure there are a myriad of reasons players leave. Don't see too much to worry about here. Kenyon Mozee, RJ Garcia, Krew Jackson and Tyrone Howell hurt. Hated to see Rubes go but fully understood.

Some guys may have been no-shows, some didn't stay long, some may have graduated and moved on, some may have never been put on scholarship, Felix left for the NFL. Some left so they could see the field sooner. Some may have had issues with grades. Some may have had personal issues. Unless I hear of an underlying issue I am not concerned. The devil may be in the details.

2020 Class: Tyrone Taleni Amaris Brown Justin Gardner Witt Mitchum Kirmari Gainous Derick Newton Tee Denson
Dawson Delforge Sajiri Smith Robert Hentz Carver Willis Jaelon Travis Will Howard Malachi Mitchell
Will Swanson Cody Stufflebean Jeremiah Harris DeMarrquese Hayes Ronald Triplette Talor Warner Keyon Mozee
Chris Vaughn Christian Moore Nate Matlack Felix Anudike Hadley Panzer Sam Shields

2021 Class: Kingsley Ugwu Marvin Martin Desmond Purnell Krew Jackson Ozzie Hoffler Andrew Leingang Darell Jones
Damian Ilalio Gaven Haselhorst Devrin Weathers Austin Weiner Brayden Wood Brenen Hawkins RJ Garcia Omar Daniels
Jake Rubley Davonte Pritchard Tyrone Howell D.J. Giddens Dorian Stephens

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 17th, 2024, 3:22 pm

I just assumed the tm was subscribing to services given the wealth of information he brings here.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2024, 3:25 pm

katlander wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 3:22 pm
I just assumed the tm was subscribing to services given the wealth of information he brings here.
the irony is that i wouldn't give those turds a dime. it's all free. mostly on X or youtube.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
powercat5000katlander

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » April 28th, 2024, 7:28 am

I mostly follow K-State stuff for basketball, but jump in here to say that Klieman is obviously a terrific coach and K-State fans should
be grateful every single day to have hm for as long as he stays. The Big 12 has been gutted by NIL and its below-the-table predecessors,
especially football which requires many more bodies than basketball does. It's like Main Street competing with Wall Street. I guess as
long as the TV $ keeps rolling in all the powers-that-be think things are just dandy, but it's a shame.
These users thanked the author Highway26north for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85