What a shock. Look who doesn't even get a mention for opening weekend

The defending Big XII Champions
epicsnyder

What a shock. Look who doesn't even get a mention for opening weekend

Post by epicsnyder » May 18th, 2021, 7:09 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnbfcL

Don't get me wrong. I understand neither us nor Stanford have been relevant for awhile now. But, just having the Allstate Kick Off Classic at Jerry World in and of itself I would have thought would at least garner a mention. Nope.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 19th, 2021, 5:20 am

I don't know how good Stanford is supposed to be this year, but if we beat them, that should garner some attention - at least in Big 12 country.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

nick57

Post by nick57 » May 19th, 2021, 5:42 am

Noticed that also. However, disrespect is a huge motivator.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 19th, 2021, 9:47 am

I guess I don't see it as disrespect. Compared to the games listed, our game isn't a "big" game. Two average programs. We aren't going to garner national attention winning 7 games fellas. Stanford is a shadow of what it was 3-4 years ago, so nobody cares about this game but us. I've always said this and I believe it. KState spends a lot of time playing the "disrespect" card, but we don't spend enough time raising our expectations. We are fine with mediocre in everything, then bitch about not getting respect. Drives me crazy.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
RichardZ

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 19th, 2021, 10:54 am

wild@nite wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 9:47 am
I guess I don't see it as disrespect. Compared to the games listed, our game isn't a "big" game. Two average programs. We aren't going to garner national attention winning 7 games fellas. Stanford is a shadow of what it was 3-4 years ago, so nobody cares about this game but us. I've always said this and I believe it. KState spends a lot of time playing the "disrespect" card, but we don't spend enough time raising our expectations. We are fine with mediocre in everything, then bitch about not getting respect. Drives me crazy.
North Carolina, a basketball school that has had 1 good year under Mack Brown versus Virginia Tech who hasn't finished ranked since 2017 (and it was 24th).

If it wasn't for LSU playing them, UCLA, outside of their media market, isn't a team people tune in to watch football. They haven't finished with a winning record since 2015.

Indiana football has had 1 good year, last year, since 1988 and are playing middle of the road Iowa who is pretty similar to KSU.

Ole Miss hasn't finished above .500 since 2015 and are playing Louisville who went 4-7 last year.

I would say that KSU v. Stanford is pretty comparable to those games.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » May 19th, 2021, 11:26 am

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 10:54 am
wild@nite wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 9:47 am
North Carolina, a basketball school that has had 1 good year under Mack Brown versus Virginia Tech who hasn't finished ranked since 2017 (and it was 24th).

If it wasn't for LSU playing them, UCLA, outside of their media market, isn't a team people tune in to watch football. They haven't finished with a winning record since 2015.

Indiana football has had 1 good year, last year, since 1988 and are playing middle of the road Iowa who is pretty similar to KSU.

Ole Miss hasn't finished above .500 since 2015 and are playing Louisville who went 4-7 last year.

Argue all you want, but that link is big games going on "current" expectations. Currently, UNC vs. Virginia Tech has a bigger national brand than KSU vs. Stanford because UNC is currently relevant. They were solid last year and finished with a top 15 recruiting class. Virginia Tech is expected to be better. At least a bowl team, so 1 ranked team and 2 bowl teams, not to mention with conference implications. KSU and Stanford are expected to be what exactly? Who knows, but labeling it a big game would get you laughed out of many college towns. When neither team is ranked it isn't a big game nationally, despite what a few thousand homers may think.

LSU being in a game vs. anybody with a heartbeat is going to get national attention because LSU will be nationally ranked, so UCLA matters not. Just like Stanford.

Indiana and Iowa both were bowl teams and ranked, plus conference implications.

KSU vs. Stanford is not comparable to any of those games, especially outside of Manhattan and Palo Alto. Facts.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » May 19th, 2021, 11:56 am

All that matters is that Gene negotiated $2.8 million to move the game from Manhattan. Obviously, neither team is relevant nationally.
These users thanked the author PurpleOnWhite for the post:
wild@nite

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » May 19th, 2021, 12:27 pm

PurpleOnWhite wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 11:56 am
All that matters is that Gene negotiated $2.8 million to move the game from Manhattan. Obviously, neither team is relevant nationally.
THAT IS IT! I would bet anything that if it hadn't been for Covid and the loss of revenue, this game would be held at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 19th, 2021, 2:34 pm

wild@nite wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 11:26 am
AJcat7755 wrote:

Argue all you want, but that link is big games going on "current" expectations. Currently, UNC vs. Virginia Tech has a bigger national brand than KSU vs. Stanford because UNC is currently relevant. They were solid last year and finished with a top 15 recruiting class. Virginia Tech is expected to be better. At least a bowl team, so 1 ranked team and 2 bowl teams, not to mention with conference implications. KSU and Stanford are expected to be what exactly? Who knows, but labeling it a big game would get you laughed out of many college towns. When neither team is ranked it isn't a big game nationally, despite what a few thousand homers may think.

LSU being in a game vs. anybody with a heartbeat is going to get national attention because LSU will be nationally ranked, so UCLA matters not. Just like Stanford.

KSU vs. Stanford is not comparable to any of those games, especially outside of Manhattan and Palo Alto. Facts.
Stanford (4-2) would have been selected for a bowl, and very likely KSU (4-6) as well but both teams decided to opt out due to COVID concerns. Had the PAC not started so late, Stanford could also have gotten ranked due to more games. Stanford won their last 5 games of the season and finished pretty well. But as it turns out, only 1 PAC team was ranked and it took them going 5-1 to just to get USC to 21st. Most publications have both Standford and KSU in the 45-50 range, which are teams expected to make a bowl in 2021. Even being so closely ranked to each other should make for a better game to watch then a ranked team like LSU beating up on hapless UCLA.

Ole Miss is not a national draw, they aren't even in the top half of SEC teams that get attention, and they won't be ranked and they are playing a Louisville team that isn't even expected to be a bowl team. What expectations are they basing that big game off from? But SEC SEC SEC

No one nationally is watching Iowa v. Indiana. No one even knew Indiana had a football team until last year when they have a last second upset. It's a game the Big 10 will be watching, but the nation will snooze on that.

KSU v. Stanford is not a national draw, but its still a P5 v. P5 matchup of 2 likely bowl teams being played in a "bowl" type venue. None one is calling it a "big game" but when they list out the games from "Week 1's loaded schedule", where they call out other neutral site special games, excluding the Allstate Kickoff Classic is a mistake. It should be a compelling game that college football fans could find interest in depending on when it is played and what time the other games are on. Just seems like they are doing a disservice to college football fans to not list another option for a good game on a loaded weekend.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm

wild@nite wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 11:26 am
AJcat7755 wrote:

I agree with what you said 100% wild. It’s about what you’ve done lately. The one thing that I think does make it to some degree relevant is that it’s being played at Jerry World. So for that fact alone I would think it’d get a lot more pub.